DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Microphones for Wild Turkey's? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/57191-microphones-wild-turkeys.html)

David Ellis December 31st, 2005 09:13 PM

Microphones for Wild Turkey's?

I'm going to purchase a new microphone for my GL2, but want to get a couple opinions on what microphone would be best for the type of work I'm into. I'm an avid turkey hunter and would like to record all sounds during a hunt. A couple buddies of mine use long cables and positioning the mic 20 - 30 yards in front of them. I don't know if this is possible, so could someone steer me into the right direction. My main objective is to record the turkey gobbling as he works his way into my calls. If anyone would like to make any suggestions on certain mics that works really well in long ranges then please post. Once again I really appreciate the professionalism that this site exhibits. I wish everyone a safe and blessed new year! GOD bless!

David Ellis
Active Duty Air Force
Wright Patterson AFB

Steve House January 1st, 2006 08:41 AM

Dave:

Consider a parabolic mic - a google search on that term will turn up for everything from plans to build your own to kits to completed unit.

Marco Leavitt January 1st, 2006 10:00 AM

"... works his way into my calls."

What does this mean?

Tony Davies-Patrick January 1st, 2006 12:41 PM

For outdoor locations to film wildlife, I use one or two AT mics connected by long XLR cables. However, in many occasions this is not possible; or you may need extra pick-up close to the call.

Another option (if you have an idea where the Turkeys will be, or ground that they will be moving over) is to use a wireless mic. Set the sender mic on the ground, or attached to a bush or tree branch etc, in the location where the Turkeys will be calling. The sender unit can be wrapped inside a plastic bag during wet weather. Obviously this will need you to set up the mic at the location well before the turkeys arrive.

A third option is to set up the camera on a tripod (in camouflage), with one shotgun mic on-camera, a second on a long XLR cable closer to the birds, and then hide a good distance away from the action - and use a wireless control to operate the video recordings from a distance. In this situation it is wise to place the video camera inside a blimp to muffle camera/video tape noise.

David Ellis January 1st, 2006 02:53 PM

Marco-

"... works his way into my calls," ...... his (meaning the male turkey) and calls (meaning the sounds i'm making, which mimics a hen calling for a mate). Hope this better clarifies the expression I was using. Take care and thank you for all the great replies. GOD bless!

David Ellis
Active Duty Air Force
Wright Patterson AFB