First field impression of XL H1 in real conditions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old February 6th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #16
Major Player

I got 63MB in just over 4 minutes, plus I cannot find any way to open the file. The .m2t suggests mpeg2?

Aha! Opened it with Womble mpeg editor, but it played a mere 18 seconds.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 03:33 PM   #17
Major Player

Right, the problem must be at this side. The company maintaining the systems say everything should be ok from their side. I just copied the file in a completely new way to the server. Any change?
Lauri Kettunen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 04:47 PM   #18
Inner Circle

I got almost 82 MB the first time I tried it earlier today and only got 37 MB when I tried to re-download it recently. Nice footage, at least what I could get.

P.S. The VLC Media player works nicely for M2T clips.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 07:28 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Lauri-

Our daytime temps right now is around 25f so a bit warmer. Yes I do live at Yellowstone National Park and anytime you visit Montana be sure to email and we will get together and "compare presets". I started another thread about using a Sony HC1 (under $1,500) as a deck for my XL H1. I tried Firestore however found it too much for field manuverablilty and I like the idea of a compact system such as the H1. Have you considered such an option?
Bill Taka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 03:15 AM   #20
Major Player

HDV limitations ?

Thanks again, Lauri, for this very cute movie. It's great to see that this lens works so good.

The movie is interesting also because you shooted a very speedy bird, which seems to show HDV MPEG2 limitation...
Let me explain what I feel. IMO, but I may be wrong, the bird is not fluent. I mean it seems that some pictures of the bird are missing, so the animation is a bit like in Manga cartoons. If you see the picture frame by frame, a lot of them (movements area in the picture) are very blurry. I have the same problem when I shot squirrels with my FX1 camera.
I've shooted some birds like this one in DV (Canon XM1-GL1) and it was a bit less blurry inside the movements frames. So I'm wondering if that's not because of the long gop system of MPEG2 compression in HDV. Some frame are missing so the codec has to create them, which is problematic when the movements are so fast.
That's why I think HDV is a great format for landscapes movies, but could be problematic for wildlife if you shoot speddy animals like birds, squirrels, excited cats, etc... Or maybe is there a way to avoid this problem with the shutter speed of the camera ?
Do you see what I mean in spite of my awfull english ? Maybe I'm the only to be a bit inconvenienced by this lack of fluidity in the "animation" of the bird...
Old February 7th, 2006, 04:05 AM   #21
Major Player

Tried again, and got the entire file, which plays for about 48 seconds?
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 06:06 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan Fournier
The movie is interesting also because you shooted a very speedy bird, which seems to show HDV MPEG2 limitation...
Interesting point, for I did notice the effect already on the EVF while taking the shot. My immediate reaction was, this is due to the 25f "progressive" mode but have not examined the clip in details. You may well be right, the compression may be the proper explanation. On one hand, as the shutter speed was 1/50s and the clip is a close up, the bird manages to move quite a lot during 1/50s while the CCD is off.

I have to examine the clip more precisely, and need to test what happens if I change the mode to HDV 50i, DV 25p, and DV 50i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Craven
Tried again, and got the entire file, which plays for about 48 seconds?
Don't remember the length precisely, but 48s sounds right.
Old February 8th, 2006, 06:41 AM   #23
Major Player

Tits alive!

You've done it Lauri and it's such a joy to watch.

The colours (greens & yellows in particular)on all birds are more vibrant than -

- illustrated in Shell Guide to Birds of Britain & Ireland
- illustrated in Hamlyn Guide to Britain & Europe
- photographed in "Wings" magazine of Irish Wildbird Conservancy since 2001

That's not surprising given the various morphs (Irish green-finches are brown!) but if it's due to mating plumage it's nice to be reminded that mating starts earlier in sub-zeroland. What do you think might be responsible for the colouring? The motion was crystal clear and speaks volumes for XLH1. I'm looking forward even more to your footage at longer distances.

Recent edition of "Wings" carries 5 shots of our Golden Eagles taken by our top wildlife photographer (using Canon ESO IV with 500mm lens) ... with a hide beside a feeding-station, the best ranger to help and a full week to do it ... and what did he come up with? Six STATIONARY birds !!!!!! Of course they're a wary species but I'm beginning to think it will soon be time to learn how to show the odd snippet of vulture footage ...

You are giving me inspiration Lauri and hope. If this sort of videography is not your day job maybe it's time it was.
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 08:25 AM   #24
Major Player

What are the results?

Hi, does anyone have stills or frame captures showing what each of the CP configurations produce from an XL-H1?

I have been using mine to make video projects as it came - straight out of the box.
While I appreciate the natural tones and not too strong colours it gives me, some have expressed they feel my videos are a little too week on the colours.

I'd like to be able to select one of the presets which I have downloaded and put into the relevant file on my card - ..

All I want is a little more richness in colour - so I'm told..

Thanks
Dave
Dave Gosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gosley View Post
Hi, does anyone have stills or frame captures showing what each of the CP configurations produce from an XL-H1?
Hi Dave, You can find the settings I had in the stickies of the XL-H1 thread. My settings are called NOMAGENT preset.
Old July 16th, 2008, 08:11 AM   #26
Regular Crew

hi friends,

here I upload a 1280x720 H1 fooatage.download it before watch.

http://www.vimeo.com/1351073

this is aprxmt 50 sec. clip of panning a Bearded Vulture - most rare vulture in Turkey and in Europe - except Pyrenee mountains in Spain. I stayed 5 days in hide all day time, and wait for this bird. focusing with H1's viewfinder is hard but I achieved it, then I got it. but after I came home and looked the footage I dissapointed too much. too much backround judder and even some jumps of bird..

I used 20x lens, IS of (very imprtant), manfrotto 519 head. also I used Alister Chapman CP. and 1080 i mode.

XLH1 is great camera, produce great pictures especially on LCD or Plazma TV, but its codec is very limited. now I m looking for another codec, pana or sony ?

bur I m unhappy :(

tahnks

alkim.
Alkim Un is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land