Nature & Wildlife videographers. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old February 14th, 2006, 11:18 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Mike,
No problems. If it was an easy decision I'd say "Go for it". I still have periodic contact with some buddies from my "previous life" back in the UK. They, at times, have mentioned that they wish they could also lead the same kind of lifestyle I have carved for myself. I tell them "Hey, all it takes is to sell your home (I signed all of my things over to my ex-fiance which is possibly the only small regret I have now) your car, turn your back on all the luxuries that you wrap your daily life in and get ready for some bumps and scrapes". Needless to say it's not long before they start looking longingly at their 52" Plasmas and nice cars, comfy chairs and doting families that they realise that the opportunity has passed them by. It is difficult, believe me but it all comes down to what you want, and expect, from life. I am much happier filming on a shallow reef waiting for a fish to do a fishy thing and to be able to film and document that than I am with all the trappings of a potentially semi-successful career. Such are my goals and desires in life. Every one is different in that aspect. Do some soul searching my friend, is it really what you want? If it is then I for one salute your resolve and wish you all the best. Look at all the potentially rewarding wildlife subjects there are available for in depth documentation. If on the other hand you realise that the Grizly Adams lifestyle is not seriously what you anticipate then hey, sit back, relax and wait for the documentaries to air from those who undertake, and accept, all the implications this way of life.

Best,
Mark.
Mark Thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 03:07 AM   #17
Trustee

The beginning of one of my books - Globetrotter's Quest - spells out all that I believe in:

"...When things become too easy and knowledge has swallowed all mystery, life becomes boring. Boredom feeds off repetition. Excitement feeds off the unknown..."
Old February 15th, 2006, 04:04 AM   #18
Major Player

Panasonic

Mark, are you hoping to use AG-HVX200 for over land as well as underwater videography? The specs listed in B&H brochure don't mention zoom factor in a way I understand ... what telephoto zoom lens would you use with it over land? Or perhaps you're only into close-ups and if so what macro lens would you use? The brochure doesn't mention interchangeability but I'm sure that's mentioned on some other threads. Any idea of the weight of AG-HVX200?
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 05:14 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Hi there,
I am planning to use the HVX200 solely underwater. When shooting, as I do, for stock I generally work wide angle with a factory produced wide angle lens. I will be going for a Gates housing which will then be fitted with a 110 degree Century Optics external wide converter ($3500 piece of glass!!). For Macro I will be using diopters. I tend to prefer macro filming but people want to see reefs and big animals as a selling point. For macro I use diopter filters and normally double up with a +4 and a +2. I also have a +10 for extreme macro work. I made a film, took seven months, on Mandarin fish which was filmed exclusively using the double diopter set up. It was a pain in the butt for DOF but it turned out nice.

I have no idea on the weight of the camera. BUT mixed with the housing, a planned underslung seperate compartment to take a Cineporter and a 7" monitor for macro focus checks and a tripod, lights and all my whistles and bells I think I'll need a crane to put me in and out of the water!!

Cheers,
Mark.
Mark Thorpe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land