Video Camera and Housing in Travel at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old February 10th, 2006, 06:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Video Camera and Housing in Travel

Hello

What experiences have people had while traveling with your video camera and housing? How do you pack it? Do you take both as carry on? Any and all information would be appritiated.

Thanks
Chris
Chris C. Corfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #2
Major Player

I think carry on is best if you can. That way you can re-pack it yourself after inspection. Many TSA agents do not re-pack checked luggage properly. They will throw accessories on top of the unit, leave cords handing out or forget to secure the case. I have had all of these happen. One resulting in a trashed $ 1,000 recorder (SWA paid for it). If I check luggage, I try to watch them re-pack it. However, in many airports in California most checking of baggage happens out of site of the passenger. I know the Airports and pack accordingly. Pelican cases and lots of foam works well. I am thinking of having FedEx ship my stuff. Has anyone tried this?
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 10:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hello Chris;
When I travel my camera never leave my sight. Only when it goes thru the X-ray machine after that it will be on my hands until I store it above my seat on the plain. Never ever will I check it with my luggage? I have sent it thru Fed Ex, insures and I will even require a signature for delivery. Good lock.
Mike Quinones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for your replies. Is it possible to get a special allowance to get a non standard carry-on onto the plane? It seems standard size is 21"x14"x9" and the inner dimensions of a Pelican case or a Storm case do not allow sufficiant size for an underwater housing. Possibly just pack it in a backpack?

Thanks
Chris
Chris C. Corfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 09:51 PM   #5
Major Player

Gettting an airline to waive carry-on size rules may prove to be difficult. Not a bad idea to wrap the unit in a soft bag or pack and place it carefully in the overhead bin. Sometimes, I have to baggage check my equipment. Thats when I use the Pelican 1620 and watch TSA as they open it, swab it, and re-pack it. I then politly ask them to make sure all the latches are secure and notching is hanging out. On time I arrived in San Diego and my pelican case came down the chute and it was open! Now how can that happen?
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 08:30 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I normally travel with my camera enclosed inside the housing which is stripped down of its lights and stabalising wing array. I find the bare housing with camera enclosed (Sony PD170 or Sony VX1000 or Sony TRV950) are equally sufficiently sized to be placed inside a small sports bag with protective foam placed around them. I then put this in the overhead bins. Be perpared for curious stares and questions from customs officers and security screening personnel as the insides of the housings and cameras when viewd from an X-ray point of view are, dare we say, less than conspicuous.

Cheers,
Mark.
Mark Thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 05:13 PM   #7
Regular Crew

As of late the airline are requiring that your camera be removed from the case and as in the laptop case go tru the xray out of the case. Now as far as I remember this is something new.
Mike Quinones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 06:23 AM   #8
Trustee

Please remember to take the viewfinder, mic and lens off. There are so many reports of people having their equipment broked, even with it on carry on. It only takes a couple of minutes to save a Canon. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 03:12 PM   #9
New Boot

I don't travel with an underwater housing but I do take my XL1s apart and wrap it in bubble wrap and place everything carfully into a small backpack.
This way it also doesn't advertise camera gear.
If the require me to unpack at the security check, it's no big deal. It never leaves my sight until it's stored in the overhead bin.
Matt
Matt Schulze is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land