The Ethics of Wildlife Shooting - Page 8 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 18th, 2006, 08:02 AM   #106
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 3,012
brendan, you have the most lovely way with words. chris hurd oughta name you dvinfo's poet laureate.

the shot of the kestrel was a bit off topic, too, i just tossed it up to short-circuit the growing foment. i've really enjoyed this conversation.

the kestrel shot has the privileges of a still photo. no interlacing, higher resolution. i shot it with a digital rebel and my big boomer sigma 300-500mm lens on the day the lens arrived in the mail, resting it on a beanbag on my car window. it was the first thing i ever shot with this lens. it arrived in the mail, and i was so excited, i threw it in the car and drove out to my friend's farm, and i could see some sort of bird of prey sitting in a tree. it was so far away, i couldn't tell what it was without the lens. it's another case in which an interesting subject showed up just when i was wishing for exactly such a subject. i drive by the farm periodically, hoping for more such drive-by/fly-by opportunities but haven't had any since. i love this lens. it's super sharp. it's difficult to manage at a whopping 12 pounds.

but it's great for maintaining long distances from your subject and still appearing right up close (back on topic!). even though the lens is enormous, you can be so far away that you don't spook the wildlife with it. i took this shot from about 70 yards while sitting in a truck.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 09:32 AM   #107
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: York, England
Posts: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
brendan, you have the most lovely way with words. chris hurd oughta name you dvinfo's poet laureate.
They call it the blarney, Meryem - you get it by kissing a stone in the SW of Ireland.

I just christened my new mini Canon camera on an English kestrel, but seconds later the camera went completely dead - no elecroonics, no transport; I cannot even extract my tape with the kestrel footage. The camera is back with Canon. I just hope they return the tape with the camera.

Problem is, how can I ever trust this camera again?
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #108
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 3,012
that's rotten luck. what model camera?

usually, when bad things happen, (and oh how they do!) lightening usually doesn't strike twice. whole new awful problems arise to replace them!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 02:48 PM   #109
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: York, England
Posts: 502
It is an MVX350i, you may know it as the Elura 90(?) - nothing like the quality of my XM2, but it is very small and light. I am hoping that it will enable me to get some footage in places where I simply cannot lug the proper outfit. I have often seen eagles, peregrines, etc when climbing in Scotland, and regretted not having a camera. The likelihood of damage to the expensive XM2 is just too great in these conditions.

I hope you are right about the lightning! At least the dealer is loaning me another camera for my trip to Scotland over the next three weeks.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 09:00 PM   #110
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Craven
They call it the blarney, Meryem - you get it by kissing a stone in the SW of Ireland.

I just christened my new mini Canon camera on an English kestrel, but seconds later the camera went completely dead - no elecroonics, no transport; I cannot even extract my tape with the kestrel footage. The camera is back with Canon. I just hope they return the tape with the camera.

Problem is, how can I ever trust this camera again?
All of us Gaels are inflicted with the disorder and we canna help oursels but to run off at the mouth. Give us a keyboard and you get inundated with it!

I have a very good camcorder-----one of the best I've used. Except that I can't use it----unless it's for insignificant stuff. It works just great, most of the time, but at its whim, it takes French leave from its duties and shuts down tight. If I took it on any important shoot and it stopped dead, I'd have only myself to blame, as I know well how bad its work-ethic is. Try to get Canon to give you another new camera, so you'll have some peace of mind.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 05:52 AM   #111
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 938
kissing 'n all that

As the poet laureate (in-waiting & blushing madly) I must attend to my public image by disassociating myself from the practice (common among our tourists) of kissing inanimate objects. In fact I swear that I'm very fussy about what I kiss, especially in SW of Ireland. Who I'm prepared to kiss is becoming an increasingly rare question ... but nearby, also in SW of I, Limerick springs to mind (&my true literary form, plagiarism):

In Eden, one evening, young Adam
Was fondling the loins of his madam
And tickled to death
He surmised, on this earth
There were only 2 balls 'n he had 'em

I'm sorry I don't know whether he was wearing his lenses or sitting on a shooting stick at the time (go on say that again quickly, go on ..
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 07:05 AM   #112
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 86
How interesting this post ended up! Great read. Reminds me of a family reunion I attended during the end of the fall of timber cutting in Oregon. The most interesting question was "What are you going to do now the trees have all been cut down".... I instantly understood the power of the media!!!!!!
__________________
"Finding Gold In Tailings" www.dredgingworld.com
John L Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 06:43 PM   #113
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 938
When compiling my last thread to include a limerick disproving my poetic prowess I forgot that this Forum has a range of readers some of whom might find my limerick inappropriate. If you think likewise, Chris perhaps you'd be so kind as to delete/edit my thread.

Sorry, to anyone offended.

Onward!
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 08:31 PM   #114
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Marnell
When compiling my last thread to include a limerick disproving my poetic prowess I forgot that this Forum has a range of readers some of whom might find my limerick inappropriate. If you think likewise, Chris perhaps you'd be so kind as to delete/edit my thread.

Sorry, to anyone offended.

Onward!
It has been my experience that if you're Irish, people expect that you might say almost anything and so you can say almost anything.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 04:14 AM   #115
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 938
Well if that's not unacceptable within company policy then I might as well test out mythology, even gossip, about ..

The cameraman from Pitlochery
Whose morals were nought but a mockery
Who, under his bed
Kept a lady instead
Of the homely & functional crockery

.. this can only lead to trouble, I know. However if asked to provide study notes to accompany this quaint language I shall have to decline. Tomorrow my granddaughter aged 1.5 will remind me that there are some things we can usefully work out for ourselves. I must ask her to be more specific ..
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 08:30 PM   #116
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Marnell
Well if that's not unacceptable within company policy then I might as well test out mythology, even gossip, about ..

The cameraman from Pitlochery
Whose morals were nought but a mockery
Who, under his bed
Kept a lady instead
Of the homely & functional crockery

.. this can only lead to trouble, I know. However if asked to provide study notes to accompany this quaint language I shall have to decline. Tomorrow my granddaughter aged 1.5 will remind me that there are some things we can usefully work out for ourselves. I must ask her to be more specific ..
Brendan, if your creative expressions become a bit too ripe for the general population here, post them in Gaelige and no one will protest.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 06:17 AM   #117
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 938
4 letter words

Ripe. Good word Steve. First felt the meaning of it when I was 5 or 6, couldn't climb the fence to get to a pear tree and my big brother refused to pick any until they were ripe. Oh the pain of it ..

.. is this thread reincarnating itself as The Ethics of Wildfruit Picking .. I don't think so; granddaughter said nothing about it before she rolled her buggy up 'n down the lane and i rolled her in a buggy up 'n down the lane 'n she fell asleep.

But if we start thinking in Gaeilge it could splutter along for a while about The Ethics of Wild Irish Shooting or Wild Scots Evicting .. better not perhaps; 'twould only bring us back to Q.E 1 and her motto "Off with their heads". Now there's a title for a thread .. God, the times have changed alright

Last edited by Brendan Marnell; April 24th, 2006 at 02:19 PM.
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 02:46 PM   #118
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 3,012
i'm resurrecting this thread because i saw something quite interesting recently on cousteau's ocean adventures. it was this footage of cousteau the younger and a colleague hopping into the ocean with great white sharks and no cage. not only were they freely floating with the great whites, both divers actually hitchhiked on the great white dorsal fin. yes, they rode the great white sharks. it was pretty amazing footage but pretty disturbing, too, to see them inches away from the big scary mouth of a great white.

so, what is the difference between what they did and timothy treadwell. one difference that leaps to mind is that there are no issues with the great white acclimating to humans to the point that they are killed to protect the human space. that's for sure a consideration.

but i want to pose the question again, with the great white, rather than the bear as the backdrop. is the main difference that treadwell got munched and cousteau survived? or are there other unnamed ethical considerations to collapsing the distance between the shooter and the object?
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 11:08 PM   #119
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 3,004
Meryem,

People do dangerous things everyday. The greatest problem is the media and giving any credence to what they portray. I have been involved in wildlife biology sense being part of a raptor survey back in 1970.
It bogels my mind that such a vast majority of people do not relaize it is not disneyland out there. The jackals do not talk to the lions!! my experience with most wildlife is that hunting them with lens or weapon makes the game more leary, not tamer. Does it effect their overal behavior? of course it does. Just like no scientist can study anything without an effect upon it.
the greatest effect on any species is loss of environment through encrochment of one form or another. animals in these altered environments act differently than those in pristine environments.

If you are in the pristine environment you will have less worry than in a marginal environment.

the coastal regions of British Columbia now have cougar problems where they are effecting people and other creatures in the mariginal environments.

you could hike into the back country of the northern rockies and never have a cougar come for you. any predator that becomes handicapped in the smallest manner will turn to easier and unnatural quarries, be it cats, dogs children or foolish photographers.

Where I grew up there was a fenced resavoir and and as youngsters we used to sneak in there and hunt cougars with our bows. It was a non firearm area and you could spot 3 to 7 cougars any day just laying out in the grass. They never bothered people as there was an abundance of deer. They were still amazingly difficult to get close to even though they saw people daily.

So when it comes to ethics of field ettiquitte I think that just common sense should prevail. Yes, I know sometimes common sense is not so common. Anyone stupid enough to get close to film a bear and its cubs gets what they deserve and there is one less idiot out there.

Back to the whiteshark thing. If you are in the wrong environment, or at the wrong place at the wrong time because you do not know the animals biology you will get only what you deserve.

Reminds me of an inuit kid at school in churchill. the polar bears were held up waiting for the ice pack. the principal of the school reminded the kids to stay on grounds and look out for each other. One of the kids, not schooled in the country strayed a couple hundred yards away. Kind of hard on the principal to pick up his had and reamining pieces!! Harder to tell the parents.
__________________
DATS ALL FOLKS
Dale W. Guthormsen
Dale Guthormsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 12:15 AM   #120
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada
Posts: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
i'm resurrecting this thread because i saw something quite interesting recently on cousteau's ocean adventures. it was this footage of cousteau the younger and a colleague hopping into the ocean with great white sharks and no cage. not only were they freely floating with the great whites, both divers actually hitchhiked on the great white dorsal fin. yes, they rode the great white sharks. it was pretty amazing footage but pretty disturbing, too, to see them inches away from the big scary mouth of a great white.

so, what is the difference between what they did and timothy treadwell. one difference that leaps to mind is that there are no issues with the great white acclimating to humans to the point that they are killed to protect the human space. that's for sure a consideration.

but i want to pose the question again, with the great white, rather than the bear as the backdrop. is the main difference that treadwell got munched and cousteau survived? or are there other unnamed ethical considerations to collapsing the distance between the shooter and the object?

Meryem,

I see your point but, one big difference is that the Cousteaus do a great many other things other than ride Great White dorsals. Treadwell tried to stake his claim exclusively by tempting fate with grizzlies.

I found Treadwells story to be disturbing, and I didn't find too many redeeming qualities in him... but maybe it's just me. As the story unfolded it seemed as if he had somewhat of a deathwish. And now he has been immortalized on film - albeit perhaps as more of a tragic figure than he had hoped.
__________________
C100, 5DMk2, FCPX
Ken Diewert is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:31 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network