Any nature footage out there I can use? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old April 3rd, 2006, 03:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Any nature footage out there I can use?

Hey guys,

I've been assigned a fashion video that will play on a rear projection screen behind a runway during a fashion show. The director of the show told me the theme is "nature elements" and she would like footage of things like forests, deserts, oceans, air(?), volcanos, etc.

Obviously I cannot go out and film all these things (I'm in Austin), nor does she expect me to. She was assuming I could just find footage to use and simply cut it together to music.

So I'm wondering, are there any CD's or whatever out there that already have footage of what I described above that I can bring into Final Cut Pro and cut together?

Oh and I'm hoping to get any footage for free and not pay five, six, or a thousand dollars on stock footage.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by Jeff Ray; April 3rd, 2006 at 03:48 PM.
Jeff Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 01:20 AM   #2
Major Player

Maybe you can ask authorization to use one of this kind of DVD : Timeless: National Parks Odyssey
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

It's a compilation of beautifull shots of National parks, with no comments but only music.
Old April 4th, 2006, 01:51 AM   #3
Trustee

I very much doubt that you'd be able to use Patrick O'Hearn's professional DVD without paying a fee, or infringing on copyright.

You might find it easier to use a lesser known film maker's DVD and contact them directly if you can use it for free (or a small fee) and state that the clips used will not be re-sold as a DVD and only used as a backdrop.

Another option is to film some of your own footage around Austin (there is some stunning scenery in the northern hills around Inks Lake not far from Austin, or further away at Big Bend etc.,) and then add some shorter clips of scenery/nature from other parts of North America. Many companies sell nature clips at fairly reasonable prices. Artbeats are very good:

http://www.artbeats.com
Old April 4th, 2006, 07:46 AM   #4
Wrangler

archive.org is your best online resource for free use of other peoples' work. you can download from there, though your source material will be compressed.

i agree with tony, you should just go shoot a bit of local earth, air, fire, water footage and loop it. throw in a few volcanoes from archive.org (it's there, i looked). shouldn't take you more than a day.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 08:55 AM   #5
Wrangler

another resource for nature images....ourmedia.org has a user group called "sights and sounds of nature" which will link you to video and stills, some of which are available for use with simple crediting. it's a mixed bag in terms of quality and also compressed, but hey, you get what you pay for.....probably good enough for rear projection....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land