need help in finding out more about wildlife documentaries at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old May 30th, 2006, 01:10 PM   #1
Tourist

need help in finding out more about wildlife documentaries

hy, I an a 22 years old student in journalism, from Romania, and I am making my diploma paper on Wildlife Documentaries. Since I have never filmed anything in my life and I could not find any book on this subject in Timisoara I could use all the hepl I can get. So I would wery much appreciate it if someone could tell me more about Wildlife Documentaries, about the basic rules of their production, filming, problems that may appear, cutting and post production or any other information that you think that may be helpfull. Thank you in advance for your help, laura
Boroi Laura Oana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #2
Major Player

If it's a start you're looking for have a read of Jacques Mesereau's thread on An Osprey Homecoming, below, check out the trailer, buy the video and look at Steve Siegel's website and his host website at IBC. Meryem Ersoz gives lots of practical advice on this Forum as do several others ..

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=67658

But get any camcorder and get out there, anywhere, quite near, observe, do a bit of shooting, dash to a viewing system and note what happened when you did what? and then go out observe and try again and again ... any literary source on its own (and this forum is one of the best) is going to tell you as much as a book on how to ride a bike without a bike ...

... then tell us what happened and we will hopefully have ideas to offer
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 04:42 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Laura,

There are a few books around that might help you out but not many specific to wildlife documentary.

Derek Bouse 'Wildlife Films' (get this from Amazon)- good for history and ethics

Piers Warren has a couple of books that are now available as an ebook- Wildlife Filmmaking www.wildeye.co.uk- basic 'who does what' stuff

Basically a wildlife film production runs the same as any many other film productions so any book on documentary production could help you.

"Documentaries, the basic rules of their production, filming, problems that may appear, cutting and post production"- all have similar problems whether you are shooting animals or people... animals are slightly less predictable.

There is masses of stuff online about film production which will help you.

First rule of film production is do your research first.

Hope this helps

J
Old May 31st, 2006, 08:40 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boroi Laura Oana
if someone could tell me more about Wildlife Documentaries, about the basic rules of their production, filming, problems that may appear, cutting and post production

if production values are what you're interested in, i would read this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=60427

then i would watch some of the docs named in the thread and, most importantly, watch the "making of" featurettes, where the filmmakers themselves discuss production, etc. that will give you an idea of current issues in making wildlife documentaries.

add:

an osprey homecoming
the wild parrots of telegraph hill
march of the penguins

also, if you can obtain a copy, frederick wiseman's "zoo" is quite interesting. and since he is *the* genre-re-defining documentary guy (at least in terms of Western documentary values), always worth a look.

without knowing what approach you plan to take with this project, it is hard to offer anything other than general advice.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land