Bird footage - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old June 15th, 2006, 07:16 AM   #16
Trustee

Beautiful footage Per. I especially like the Greb behaviors you captured.
Old June 15th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Per johan,

I shoot in cine as well, I will try the same using defaults. I tend to saturate colors so they look better on the larger screens, eg. 50 inch.
We are trying to get some footage of pronghorn antelope and kids as well as deer with fawns. If I get some I will try to find a means to post them.

dale
Old June 16th, 2006, 06:09 PM   #18
Major Player

I'm in the same boat as Dale, and probably others, when it comes to sharing short nature video clips on the Internet. I have a web site, but the guy who built it for me in no longer around, so until I can arrange to have it worked on to incorporate a selection sample clips for downloading, I'm dead in the water. I'm happy to stand behind the camera, and leave web design to someone else. I looked into all the video hosting and sharing site, but they are to cluttered with junk. I wish there was just a site that just dealt with quality nature themes. As an XL1 user, hopefully for not that much longer, I learn nearly everyday from others, and I would like to think that others might learn something that I might be able to offer.
Old June 17th, 2006, 03:36 AM   #19
Major Player

Nature Video Clips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don DesJardin
I looked into all the video hosting and sharing site, but they are to cluttered with junk. I wish there was just a site that just dealt with quality nature themes. .
You're spot on, Don. And commerce is not to blame for all the clutter all the time. Even BBC has lost control of the sound and video dubbing mafia listed on its documentaries. But the blame game is not the answer; it just pretends to be an excuse for doing nothing ...

How can we inspire The Kennelmaster Himself to set up a function on DVInfo website for the purpose of publishing clips of nature video from members? Along what lines? How to keep out the clutter and the trash? What standards to apply? Well until we can all attain Per Johan's private answer, there are some ideas to be gathered from this website that publishes clips of Birds; not top-slick to be sure but it gets there, uncluttered and free, with audience participation ... I'm hoping to join the list there sometime ..

http://ibc.hbw.com/ibc/phtml/whatIBC.phtml

Speak to us, O Wise One
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #20
Trustee

Brendan, I think this is a very good idea. I would like a forum for publishing small clips of wildelife footage.
The XLH1 forum got a site for their footage, so why not one for us too?

This way we could review each others footage, give feedback and ideas, leading to each of us become better wildlife videophotographers.
Old June 20th, 2006, 04:37 PM   #21
Wrangler

we actually have a "footage links" link here in the wildlife forum, but it needs to be turned into a sticky, so that it doesn't get shoved to the bottom of the pile so quickly. i would like to see it renamed "wildlife footage links" and then kept at the top of the page, so that we could have all that juicy footage available in one place. and then more people might be encouraged to post there. hellooooooo, chris! can you tear yourself away from the XL H1 viewfinder long enough to indulge us??? (okay, so i'm jealous. i too would like to have an eyeball glued to the H1 viewfinder....)

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=56456
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 05:38 PM   #22
Major Player

That's great news Meryem.

Let it be, let it be. Just one more set of linking tricks to learn, but this time the light at the end of the tunnel is a raptor with a glint in his eye, like your sparrowhawk.

Somehow I must persuade my vultures that gliding on 9ft wingspan is not enough anymore, they'll have to learn to smile ...
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 10:59 PM   #23
Inner Circle

manual lenses

After seeing johan pers footage I have decided to buy a non lens adapter and a 300 mm canon fd lens. This wont break the bank and i thought I could try this stuff on before breaking the bank for high end stuff only to find out I may not like it.

first thought, when you have the manual on there do you open up the setting on the camera, adjust the lens aperature and then set shutter to get proper exposure??
Old June 25th, 2006, 02:19 AM   #24
Trustee

Dale,
you have to experiment a lot with your lense. I found that many lenses are sharpest in the middle of the aperture field, say 5.6 to 11 (safe area). I would not recommend to go higher than 11 on most lenses.

In overcast weather I set the shutter at 1/50 (1/60 NTSC) and adjust the aperture within the safe area. This gives me a proper exposure almost every time. Remember that I use a polarization filter even in overcast weather, but if its poor light you might have to shoot without the filter.

On sunny days it's much more easy to achieve nice and rich color in the footage. Shooting at dawn and dusk gives you the best light (and results). In such conditions I set the shutter to 1/100 (1/120 NTSC) and do the same adjustment as explained above. In very light area like at the beach or in snow, you should also consider to use ND-filters.

Shooting white objects, say gulls or swans, you have to in most instance, underexpose. You must experiment with different settings to become known with your camcorder and lense. Practise, practise, practise is the keyword.

Last edited by Per Johan Naesje; June 26th, 2006 at 02:10 AM.
Per Johan Naesje is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land