filming in the rain, tips? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old June 5th, 2006, 09:55 AM   #1
New Boot

filming in the rain, tips?

I wanted to know if anyone has basic tips for fiming in the rain. the shots are intended to capture the rain envirment within a forest, a field, upon a lake. etc.
I want the rain to be part of the overall capture , both sight and sound. but I do not want the camera to get wet or do not want to hear the rain hitting an umbrella or seeing run off in front of the lens area.

also any tips you got for improving a wind muff , please share. my windtech doesnt do good enough and am in process of fabricating a supplemental fuzzie wrap to use on windier locals.

thanks for any advice ya got
John Kron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #2
Major Player

Shoot form a covered location to keep the rain off the camera and lens and use a wireless in the "elements" to get the sound you want while recording.
For example, put the wireless under a tree branch to help shield it form the rain and still get the sound of the forest. Just bag the transmiiter in some rain gear to keep it dry and you should accomplish your goal.

Mark
Mark Bournes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 11:08 AM   #3
New Boot

I guess I could do the same thing with a

wired mic? If I had a 10 foot cord I guess I could the same principle with a wired mic? just run it out away from the camera cover? I think I have to get an extension plug wire anyway to eliminnate the camera motor noise that I am picking up when recording the ambient sounds .
Old June 5th, 2006, 12:13 PM   #4
Wrangler

one thing about shooting nature (versus human speech/dialogue, where the mouth in motion has to match cleanly) is that it is very easy to record to a secondary sound source and synch it to the image. so you could use something like a $200 minidisc to record ambient sound and not put your camera's electricals at risk. or your expensive mic set-ups.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 01:10 PM   #5
Trustee

wrap the camera in a plastic bag, gaff tape the bag to the lens hood and cover it with an umbrella (PA's are good for this). Backlight the rain to make it show up better in frame. Hang a towel inside the plastic bag for wiping your hands before you handle the camera.
Old June 5th, 2006, 04:43 PM   #6
Major Player

I had a lousy experience recently shooting in the rain with a Canon 75-300 zoom on the XL-2. Everything was adequately covered with plastic, but condensation got into the lens. (It isn't airtight). It took two days to evaporate the moisture off the inside elements. During that time, the lens was useless. I don't know a solution to that other than to use a "tighter" lens on rainy days.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 05:05 PM   #7
New Boot

thanks for the warning

I have had moisture problems with process boards in the past and found that a hair dryer applied will help them evaporate more quickly but itwould have to be on low. I will try that on my camera if needs be, but with caution.
Old June 6th, 2006, 03:43 AM   #8
Major Player

Make sure all your flight cases or equipment bags are waterproof or your gear will be soaking before you even get there.

Andy.
Old June 6th, 2006, 09:42 AM   #9
New Boot

thanks for the tips

thanks everyone for all the nice tips. nothin like experience.

just hiked over a mile through the woods to film a stream, and it was bone dry when I got there. only action I got was a turtle getting a drink from a puddle , and I had to bean him with a rock to get him to move.. the volume of the stream doubled, after I took a leak.

many stream beds are dried up now in missouri.
John Kron is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land