Mantis laying egg pod at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old August 12th, 2006, 12:07 PM   #1
Trustee

Mantis laying egg pod

I shot this with the Canon XL-1s w/stock 16x, 1.6 teleconverter and a 2x diopter. It took her 40 minutes to complete it. Later in the year I videoed the little darlings hatching out. Bob
Attached Files
File Type: wmv laying eggs.wmv (3.13 MB, 335 views)

Last edited by Bob Safay; August 12th, 2006 at 04:27 PM.
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 05:22 PM   #2
Trustee

Bob, as your last footage this was excellent too. Nice edited.
I just wonder about the colors, in your last footage the mantis was green, now it was brownish, did you use any extra lightsource?

Keep up your good work Bob.
Old August 12th, 2006, 05:29 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Johan
Bob, as your last footage this was excellent too. Nice edited.
I just wonder about the colors, in your last footage the mantis was green, now it was brownish, did you use any extra lightsource?

Keep up your good work Bob.
Nature provides them in both colors. They tend to blend in with their surroundings. Notice the first mantis was green and it was standing on a leaf. The mantis in this video was on a twig and so was brown.

It can also be a male/female thing. In nature, as you probably know, the males tend to be brighter and more vivid while the females look rather drab. Somewhat opposite to the human race! (grin)

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 11:58 PM   #4
Trustee

Greg, thank you for enlighten me :-)
Mother nature is incredible!
Old August 13th, 2006, 10:28 AM   #5
Major Player

Once again! Great job, Bob! I assume that this one is natural lighting also?

Where do you go to shoot this kind of video? I would sure like to try it some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Johan
Greg, thank you for enlighten me :-)
Mother nature is incredible!
That it is Per!

Thanks.

~Gabriel~
Gabriel Yeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 02:56 PM   #6
Trustee

Gabriel, thank you and the others for the compliments. In this case I videoed the first one in my back yard in the heart of Atlanta. Later I found a gravid (pregnant) female. I put her in a breeding case and fed her crickets and a moisture solution called "Cricket Quencher" as a water supply. This is the one laying the eggs. I used natural light from windows. I "released" her and all the egg pods in the spring, except for the two that I videoed hatching (I also released all baby mantids). I used the Canon-XL1s as a "cam" but used firewire to connect to my Panasonic deck and did actual recorded on that deck hooked to a monitor. I really believe that you can find all sorts of "wildlife" in your yard, or even local parks. Some of the close ups I did in the Atlanta botanical gardens are some of my favorite shots. Like the man said, just go out and shoot. Bob
Old August 13th, 2006, 03:12 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for all the info! But I do have one more question to ask... What panasonic camera did you use?

~Gabriel~
Old August 13th, 2006, 04:21 PM   #8
Trustee

No,No. I used my Canon XL-1s hooked to a Panasonic DV2000 deck via firewire. The Canon "captures" the shot, but I do the actual "recording" on the deck. I do this often when videoing in my studio so as not to put extra usage in the Canon-XL1s' heads. I also check critical focus on my external monitor. Bob
Old August 13th, 2006, 09:01 PM   #9
Major Player

Yeah thats what I meant! Sorry I did not explain that clearly... Thanks tho! Thats what I wanted to know. I was looking into buying a panasonic so I was wondering what model you had to do the recording on. and if I can ask one more... Have you ever tried using the panasonic my it self? If do, how was the picture quality? Thanks again!

~Gabriel~
Old August 15th, 2006, 12:07 AM   #10
Major Player

During the Spring, I found a grassy field near the top of a hill, that had uncountable thousands of mantises. They were all bright green, as was the grass. Now that the grass has dried and is brown, the mantises have adopted
the same color. At both times, their camouflage made them invisible, unless you looked closely. It wasn't easy to get good pictures, unless I slipped something of a different color behind them. I'm puzzled why this concentration of them hasn't attracted predators, such as birds. I wonder if they have some toxic chemistry that makes them unpalatable?
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 05:46 AM   #11
Trustee

Gabriel, tha Panasonic is a deck only, not a camcorder. Just a recorder/playbcak deck. It really cuts out head wear on the Canon by recording directly to the Panasonic deck.

I was in Moscow, Idaho back in 1980 and a friend and I came across a massive brood of Ladybugs. Millions of them, they were sometimes 8 - 10 inches thick on the ground and in some cases actually bent branches on pine trees. Never saw anything like it. And, neither of us had a camera. Nature is such a wonder. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land