Underwater at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old August 31st, 2006, 09:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Underwater

This segment of this forum seems to be lacking in participation. So I will post a question to all. How many do shoot underwater? If so what is your setup? Any tips or tricks to new underwater filmers? Maybe even just a general hello.

Thanks
Chris

Canon GL2
Equinox housing
Firestore FS-4
UK HID 100 x2
Ultralight Arms
Chris C. Corfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 12:53 PM   #2
Trustee

My partner shoots our underwater footage using VX2K with an Ikelite
housing. It works pretty well and she is a Big Ten champion
swimmer, so that helps :)
Old September 1st, 2006, 07:53 PM   #3
Wrangler

there's some good tips in this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=42140

and paul wags has a great website loaded with underwater footage. nice stuff.

i have shot a bit of underwater footage, just snorkeling with a GL2 and a splash bag. nothing fancy. it's big fun, and i hope to do more....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 07:45 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Chris and others,

Our company shoots a lot underwater here in Mozambique. Mainly in documentary but some commercials. Currently on a 6-part series about marine megafauna and right now on episode about dugongs.

The setup that we are using right now is the Sony Z1 in a Gates Housing with 2.5" monitor. Surface shots done with HD100 and an Aaton LTR for the highspeed work. We hire in other gear if needed.

This is really just a general hello.

James
Old September 6th, 2006, 10:40 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hello. I am hoping to do underwater stuff using the new Red one camera once the camera ships and a decent underwater housing is available.

I did try some very limited attempts with an xm2 (gl2) using the Ewa Marine pvc unit. Found it very difficult to get it to submerge even when you try to remove as much air from it as possible. That was without a wet suit and just using a fish pole, which was a waste of time. This time i will have a wet suit and snorkell and i will be properly prepared i hope.

I dont' intend taking any chances with the Red camera so it will be a more solid housing unit this time. As to what make? It might depend who brings the first decent unit out ready to use.

I have read varying reports between the better companies so maybe it is kust a matter of opinion i dont know. Some say Gates are the best, all i know is they are not cheap.

Maybe Red will make their own underwater unit. It could take a while though?

Anyway good luck and keep us all posted on progress. I think it would be useful for all those involved in that type of work to share their experiences.

I will once i get that experience.

Michael
Michael Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2006, 11:03 PM   #6
Ruler of the DownUnder UnderWorld

Underwater

HI there.
Have not been here for awhile but thought I would drop back and see what's going on.

Yep we shoot underwater with both the FX1 and A1 in Amphibico underwater housings. We have also loaded up some new clips at www.hdvunderwater.com of not only underwater but uptop land shots/ Timelapse and a piece on flowers...yes flowers.....

Curently working on a big demo underwater clip that we will load up soon.

Here is a review www.hdvunderwater.com/review.html on the Amphibico Phenom housing and our review on the Amphibico EVO PRO for the A1 will be up very soon.

Cheers
Paul Wags
Paul Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2006, 11:37 PM   #7
Ruler of the DownUnder UnderWorld

Underwater

HI there.
Have not been here for awhile but thought I would drop back and see what's going on.

Yep we shoot underwater with both the FX1 and A1 in Amphibico underwater housings. We have also loaded up some new clips at www.hdvunderwater.com of not only underwater but uptop land shots/ Timelapse and a piece on flowers...yes flowers.....

Curently working on a big demo underwater clip that we will load up soon.

Here is a review www.hdvunderwater.com/review.html on the Amphibico Phenom housing and our review on the Amphibico EVO PRO for the A1 will be up very soon.

Cheers
Paul Wags
Paul Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 08:50 AM   #8
Trustee

I use the Canon XL2 with wide-angle adapter and a Scubacam for sub-surface footage.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land