Best Camcorder for Forests and Rivers at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old September 4th, 2006, 10:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best Camcorder for Forests and Rivers

I own a vx2000 which as you know is good for close up work and distances not over 40 feet. I do documentaries for ecological minded groups and need a camcorder in the $4000 to $5000 range for making these forest shots look beautiful. Which camera would you realistically suggest since most of what I need at present is in SD. Am I demanding too much beauty for this price range? Yes I want to do close-up work also...but at this point I am not interesting in shooting wildlife at a distance.

Thanks for you input...

Ralph Bowman
Ralph Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 12:41 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Bowman
I own a vx2000 which as you know is good for close up work and distances not over 40 feet. I do documentaries for ecological minded groups and need a camcorder in the $4000 to $5000 range for making these forest shots look beautiful. Which camera would you realistically suggest since most of what I need at present is in SD. Am I demanding too much beauty for this price range? Yes I want to do close-up work also...but at this point I am not interesting in shooting wildlife at a distance.

Thanks for you input...

Ralph Bowman
Well, some people think the Canon XL2 is very good and it fits into that price range. It has almost unlimited options for lenses. The 20X lens that comes with it, can be fitted with a 1.6X telextender that would give you close to a 40X magnification (the 20X zoom lens actually gives a magnification that is about 21.5X) This telex fits under the lens and causes no vignetting or noticeable loss of image quality. This model has a true native 16:9 aspect mode, but can also shoot 4:3 for standard screens.

Personally, I prefer my VX2100. From all that I've seen and heard, I believe that it shoots better in low light and gives a slightly better image than the XL2. I have 3 telextenders I use with it, that raise its magnification from 12X, up to 16.8X and 20.4X and 26.4X. I manage to do well with distant wildlife, using these lens add-ons. Unless you can buy a used 3-CCD pro-DV camcorder, for around $5K, that might sell new for $10K to $12K, you are not likely to find anything in your price range that shoots prettier pictures than your VX2000. Maybe, you need a better TV with which to watch it, or it might have one of the focusing problems that have been discussed here?
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 02:17 AM   #3
Trustee

Ralph
I would definitive go for a Canon XL2 camcorder, with it's interchangeable lenses you got a fantastic tool for wildlifeshooting. This is within your pricerange and you can also afford external lenses. For wildlife shooting my advise will be a lense in the 100-400mm field, with a crop factor of 7.8 in 16:9 or 9.6 in 4.3 you almost got a telescope at the 400mm end!

On my website (see link in my signature), I would recommend you to take a look at some of my videoes. They are all shot with the XL2, using different interchangeable lenses. In the MicroCosmos video I used a Sigma 150mm macrolense. In most of the others videoes a Sigma 300mm is used.

The XL2 is also capable of tuning the picture to suit your needs. Search this forum to find "tons" of presets!

Good luck
Old September 5th, 2006, 03:11 AM   #4
Trustee

The Canon XL2 would fill your requirements perfectly (just make sure that you adjust internal Presets settings to show off the full colour and atmosphere of the beautiful Oregon/Washington State landscapes and wildlife).
Old September 5th, 2006, 03:15 PM   #5
Major Player

Take a look at the Sony Z1U HDV camera. Picture Presets are great in getting several different looks for a single shot. Also with this camera you have color correcting capabilities during aquisition and quick shutter speed jog wheel. Definitly wouldnt trade mine for anything except maybe the new F950 Cinealta. Not to forget it also shoots a higher resolution than DV. Just a suggestion
John M. McCloskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 11:47 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for the input

Thanks to all for the input...I am going to first buy add ons to my VX2000 to get closer and experiment with filters to enhance color and light...Any suggestions regarding filters, close up diopters, and add ons to get in the 20x range?

Ralph
Ralph Bowman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land