Musk Ox - Part III - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old October 9th, 2006, 03:42 AM   #16
Trustee

Hi fellows!
Thanks for all you comments. I'm very pleased that some of you gives me critics. Criticism from fellows is very important for me besides practising in the field to improve my way of filming.

Tony:
First of all thanks for sharing your presets. I'm going to try out your new preset on my next trip to the montain.
I know that sound is very important and I'm working at this to improve it. My problem until now have been using long lens I haven't had good enough microphones to pick up a decent sound from distance. I'm now experimenting with 2 Sennheiser ME-67 shotguns. There is also problem with severe wind conditions to get good soundrecording. (Wish I could place a lavalier on them, any volunteer? :-))

Sassi:
I'm not sure if I understand with go beyond the trailer format? My plan for this is to make a documantary - A Year in the Muskox Life at Dovrefjell. I have a script/plan for the project. I have been experimenting with type of gear, lenses, microphones etc. How far/near to the object to shoot. I also read alot of scientific literature about the muskox. I'm collecting sponsors for the project, I have contacted the national tv-stations with samples of the footage, hopefully I get a positive response for broadcasting? I'm considering shooting the documentary in HDV with Canon XLH1 if I'm able to get enough sponsorship!!!
So it's alot of administration to complete before I can start up with what I like best, the shooting.
The film take place in one of Norways National Parks. No motorize vehicle is allowed, so I have to carry all my equipments in a backpack. I use to arrange a base camp 1 hours walk from my car. To bring all my gear to the camp I have to go 2 trips carrying an average of 25kg each time. I'm sleeping in a tent. Fortunately I'm a former pararanger in the army, so I'm used to such a life! From my basecamp the distance to the muskox vary but often I find them in a range of half an hour from the base camp. My plan is to film the muskox in all weather and conditions as far as the light conditions allow. One of my biggest concerns is shooting in the wintertime, manage batteries, camera, cold fingers etc.

Mat:
I could agree on the chap walking in to the picture are disturbing to the great wilderness. This was just an effect in this sample and I don't think I will be showing any humans in the finished film. About the remoteness see my answer to Sassi above.

Last edited by Per Johan Naesje; October 9th, 2006 at 05:48 AM.
Per Johan Naesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 01:41 PM   #17
Trustee

So beautiful, such wonderful animals. Norway has two National Treasures, The Musk Ox, and Per Johan. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 06:31 AM   #18
Major Player

Per,

I like the sequence so much I keep going back to watch it. One point, would the edit be improved it the Close Up of the Musk Ox, which comes directly after the 2 shots of the man, should this shot be flipped so the Musk Ox is looking out the left hand side of frame.

Bob
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 01:25 AM   #19
Trustee

It's flipped!

Bob, this is cool! I appreciate very much your comments to improve the video. I know that I need to improve my editing skills. And other eyes often see ways of improving the footage better than the guy who sits in the editing room for hours!

I might put you up as a co-editor Bob!

Here's the link to the improved video:
http://www.video-film.no/snutter/muskox3.html

And for you mac-guys:
http://www.video-film.no/snutter/muskox3.mov (17.9MB)
Old October 11th, 2006, 07:38 AM   #20
Major Player

Per,

Forget the editor bit, I prefer to get in the field with my XL2 and canon FD 300mm t2.8 lens and get dirty.

Cheers and keep up the good work

Bob
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2006, 07:16 AM   #21
Major Player

The best I've ever seen, Per Johan. Cutting in close was an excellent editorial decision which you varied effectively; it gives an intimate impact to the video. I am amazed at how much insight into the lives of musk ox you conveyed in such a short time. Having respected their space and received their tolerance you made the best of it.

While the light lasts keep at it.
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land