MuskOx at Sunset at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old February 26th, 2007, 09:03 AM   #1
Trustee

MuskOx at Sunset

Hi all, I've been up in the mountains for a week filming the muskoxen. The weather have been from severe to real nice during this days. My project is developing well and I manage to get good footage in all kind of weather.

The Canon XLH1 camcorder are functioning well under this conditions. I use a Porta Brace camcorderjacket for my camcorder. I also got some nice chemical handwarmes which I tape to the body and viewfinder to protect it from the tough outdoor temperatures reaching well below -25 degrees celsius + gale wind.

Attached is a couple of pics showing this beautiful mammals in the evening sun. This pics are taken with the 20x HD L lens provided with the camcorder. I have captured the pics from the videotape (not used the photo-function). The colors is original from the tape. I used a polarization filter and ND set to 1/6, shutter is 1/50 (PAL-system) and aperture set for a proper exposure.

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
MuskOx at Sunset-moskus1-2.jpg   MuskOx at Sunset-moskus1-1.jpg  

Last edited by Per Johan Naesje; February 26th, 2007 at 09:42 AM.
Per Johan Naesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #2
Trustee

Wow! Great stuff as always Per!
Please post some footage when you can.
Old February 26th, 2007, 06:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Beautiful animals and good work, Per. My greatest respects to you for braving those cold temps and high winds!

Rick Phillips
Rick A. Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Per Johan

Great shots you have. Are you working on a film of these animals or selling the footage? I haven't been out filming much lately as I'm bogged down in the studio doing post work on a 96 minute Chinook salmon film shot over 8 spawning seasons with the XL1. Spring is in the air here in the Rockies. Keep up the good shooting Per Johan.

Leon Lorenz
www.wildlifevideos.ca
Leon Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Very good pictures.
You do great work, Per Johan!
I'm looking forward to whenever you get the completed film ready.

Trond
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 03:00 AM   #6
Major Player

Love Those Shaggy Beasts!

Those are bright and beautiful scenes. Many of us are used to shooting in air that isn't so clear and ideal for picture quality. But, I don't think we envy you being in those super-cold temperatures. You will be rewarded for your hard work, by having footage that no one else could produce.

I'd like to know some more about this herd of Musk Oxen. How are they doing in terms of their population and survival in this region? Do they have any problems with disease and predators? I've read that they are more closely related to goats than they are to cattle, although all of them are classified as Bovines.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 09:50 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Stephen McDonald View Post
Those are bright and beautiful scenes. Many of us are used to shooting in air that isn't so clear and ideal for picture quality. But, I don't think we envy you being in those super-cold temperatures. You will be rewarded for your hard work, by having footage that no one else could produce.
Thanks Steve! The cold is something you got used to. A proverb says: "The weather is not a problem as long as you got the right clothing! (barely translated from my mother tongue)
The clear air which I have some days helps a lot to get crisp footage. By the way this pics are captured from footage where I used the 20x HD lens between 500-778mm. In this focal lenght area shooting is not so exposed to air haze as when you use larger lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Stephen McDonald View Post
I'd like to know some more about this herd of Musk Oxen. How are they doing in terms of their population and survival in this region? Do they have any problems with disease and predators? I've read that they are more closely related to goats than they are to cattle, although all of them are classified as Bovines.
This herd was originally captured from East Greenland in two different rounds. The first one in 1931 was not any success because before and during World War II all died of different reasons.
Between 1947 - 1953 a new herd of of 27 muskoxen was released at Dovrefjell. Even though the herd has going through disease and accidents they are the ancestors to the muskoxen living in this area today counting approx 200 individuals. Luckily there are no predators in this area today which can harm this huge animals. The only predator I can think of which is able to harm, the wolf, is not living in this area.

I will strongly recommend you to read the two supplied pdf-files, linked below. They are written by my friend Jens Erixon. He is a professional guide and lives in this area:
http://mountainadventures.no/docs/muskoxeninnorway.pdf
http://mountainadventures.no/docs/aboutthemuskoxen.pdf

Best;
Old February 28th, 2007, 04:35 PM   #8
Major Player

Amazing

That's what my wife said and so do I.

Your work is opening our minds to possibilities we do not yet know exist.
Long may you continue to move us.
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:52 PM   #9
Trustee

Per Johan,

Great Stuff. If you haven't already done so. Chris has posted instructions on how to shoot stills with your big lenses. Also allows you to shoot stills while the camera is set to 'tape'.

Ken.
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:08 PM   #10
Trustee

Per Johan, it is always such a pleasure to see your work and to hear your stories. You really have turned out to be an inspiration to us all. You are dedicated to a cause and you are capturing footage we can only dream of. Bob Safay
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:20 PM   #11
Trustee

The footage is online!

Hi all, thanks for your comments!

Are you ready to look at the real stuff?
Please download the file before viewing!
http://video-film.no/snutter/muskox-winter.mov (54.1 MB)

Technical info in my first post.

Enjoy
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:55 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Per:

Beautiful stuff. Questions:

1. How far did you have to walk and how much gear to you pack. ?

2. Was the Quicktime file rendered directly out of Liquid Pro 7, and, if so, what were setting. Or what did you use to render it to Quicktime. (Sorry if this is repeat of an earlier January question.)
Old March 1st, 2007, 03:22 PM   #13
Trustee

Thanks for your comment Chris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
1. How far did you have to walk and how much gear to you pack. ?
Well, this small herd is not far from where I park my car, approx. 30 min. walk. In winter time with snow on ground I pull my equipment with a sledge, walking with snow shoes. With camcorder, heavy tripod, ekstra lens, clothing etc., I pull approx. 25 kg in the sledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
2. Was the Quicktime file rendered directly out of Liquid Pro 7, and, if so, what were setting. Or what did you use to render it to Quicktime. (Sorry if this is repeat of an earlier January question.)
I exported a HD720p - mpg2 file from Avid Liquid, then in Sorenson Squeeze Suite the final QT file was born - Sorenson Video Pro 3 codec, 1000 kb/s

Hopefully I answered your questions Chris?
Old March 1st, 2007, 04:53 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Johan View Post
Thanks for your comment Chris!

Well, this small herd is not far from where I park my car, approx. 30 min. walk. In winter time with snow on ground I pull my equipment with a sledge, walking with snow shoes. With camcorder, heavy tripod, ekstra lens, clothing etc., I pull approx. 25 kg in the sledge.

I exported a HD720p - mpg2 file from Avid Liquid, then in Sorenson Squeeze Suite the final QT file was born - Sorenson Video Pro 3 codec, 1000 kb/s

Hopefully I answered your questions Chris?
Yes, Per, you did. Thank you. There's that Sorenson Squeeze again.. Seems to be the magic ingredient....
Old March 1st, 2007, 05:12 PM   #15
Major Player

Another articulate study of the body language of muskoxen ... the adults completely at ease with your presence and looking forward to the comfort of temperature below -25c after sunset; the young were huddling and jostling to get a better view of you from the safety of their elders. And not a glimpse of a "talking head" interfering with the arctic atmosphere.

Powerful statement about "hands off" biodiversity.
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land