DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   New "Unearthed" series by new wildlife filmmakers. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/88738-new-unearthed-series-new-wildlife-filmmakers.html)

Tony Davies-Patrick March 12th, 2007 10:46 AM

New "Unearthed" series by new wildlife filmmakers.

Here is a recent Email I received from Wildeye that may of interest to DVinfo.net members:

Wildeye Bulletin - Animal Planet seeks to 'Unearth' next Great Wildlife
Film-maker

Brand new four-part series, UNEARTHED premieres on Sunday 8th April at 7.00pm

In April 2006, Animal Planet invited amateur wildlife filmmakers from around the
world to apply for a once-in-a-lifetime chance to take part in an intensive
filmmaking course with experts Andrew Barron and Lyndal Davies. The response to
the project was overwhelming – thousands of applications were downloaded from
the Animal Planet website, and entries were received from across the globe.
After reviewing the applications and the many outstanding short films submitted,
the pool was narrowed down to six participants hailing from Australia, Denmark,
India, Mexico, Singapore and the UK. Now, Animal Planet presents the results of
this venture in the original four-part series UNEARTHED, premiering in April.
This unique television project follows the six contestants as they embark on a
demanding training course at the award-winning Shamwari Game Reserve in South
Africa, where they learn the essential skills and realities of creating a
natural history documentary.

The amateur filmmakers – Karla (Mexico), Mayur (India), Aaron (Australia), Julia
(Denmark), Bryan (UK) and Jin Pyn (Singapore) – carried out their challenges at
Shamwari in July 2006, ultimately competing to have their film chosen the winner
and broadcast on Animal Planet in 160 countries throughout Europe, Asia, Latin
America, Africa and the Middle East. UNEARTHED follows the budding directors and
animal enthusiasts every step of the way, beginning with their arrival at
Shamwari. Renowned wildlife filmmakers Lyndal Davies (also a popular Animal
Planet presenter) and Andrew Barron guide the participants through their tasks
on the course. The mentors provide invaluable inside knowledge to help the
students each shoot and edit their own short wildlife film.

In addition to learning what it takes to become a wildlife filmmaker, viewers
witness the camaraderie that develops between the tutors and their students, and
see how they all share the same passion – not only for filmmaking, but also for
animals and the world in which they live. However, it’s not all fun and games
for the students. The tension mounts as they learn how to cope with the various
challenges of filming in the wild and perform various tasks for the first time –
while facing unpredictable animals, tight deadlines and competition with each
other. An international panel of experts judge the contestants’ final
documentaries and the competition culminates with a gala event and screening,
during which the winner is announced.

“Through this imaginative new format, we are inspiring the next generation of
wildlife filmmakers while at the same time engaging our audiences in the
filmmaking process with a strong conservation message,” said Phillip Luff,
General Manager, Animal Planet International.

The breathtaking backdrop for the entire UNEARTHED series is the world-renowned
Shamwari Game Reserve (www.shamwari.com). Animal Planet will return to Shamwari
to film series two of UNEARTHED, and the search is already on for six new
contestants. Applications can be downloaded at animalplanet.co.uk

UNEARTHED is Directed by Andrew Barron and Produced by Yvonne Tang for Barron
TV, and Executive produced by Jennie Myring for Animal Planet International.
Lyndal Davies serves as contributing producer.

Per Johan Naesje April 8th, 2007 01:03 PM

Unearthed - viewpoints

The first episode of the series Unearthed was aired tonight at Animal Planet. I have been waiting for this series to be aired for seval reasons; to learn some from the pros and also to view how unexperienced wildlifefilmmakers work.
The series is shoot in a beautiful scenery with "tons" of objects stright outside the residens of the participants. As mentioned the students are in my view unexperienced with this kind of work. But it seems like they are learning quick from the proteam.
Even though this is interesting to watch and to pick up ideas from, I have some minor commments to the series:
First, they are using the Sony HVR-Z1 and they saying that this is a "pro"-camcorder. After what is said about HDV-camcorders for broadcast on this forum: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=84110, I'm very surprised by this statement! The student doesn't use any protection for dust on their camcorders either. I think this is not smart in this hars environment.
Also, the student and the TV hostess are dressed like they are having a picnick in a park in the city a sunday afternoon. In the programme they was warned about dangerous snakes, but some of them still wearing running shoes, thin trousers and no protections on the head. Colorful shirt dosn't fit in either. At least they should have weared boots in my opinion!

What do you think about the this series so far, what can we learn from this?

Bill Taka April 8th, 2007 10:15 PM

These kind of shows are frustrating to watch. I wait each week for my favorite series currently playing on Discovery HD - Planet Earth. Tonights episodes are Shallow Seas and Great Plains. Simply the most spectacular footage I've seen so far in HD. Interesting how close the cameraman/person must get to their subject in order to have that kind of footage. Did not like the goosling kill by the fox though. When I film that kind of scene, it stays out of the final cut, just gives me an uneasy feeling when I see animals being traumatized

Andrew M Astbury April 9th, 2007 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Per Johan Naesje (Post 656243)

What do you think about the this series so far, what can we learn from this?

Crikey, I couldn't believe what I was seeing when they strolled off from the vehicle to film the giraffe with stix in zip-up cases, cameras not set up etc.
Hoping the resident wildlife will stay in place while you mess about trying to fix a spreader to your t/pod and at the same time trying not to get your nice white safari jacket dirty is a bit of a tall order.....and the corus of half a dozen snatch plates engaging was brilliant!!!

I thought the Aussie chap was going to be okay when he went off on his own but then he let himself down 'zooming' from the chopper!

So Per Johan - answer is Not a Lot!!

BTW - heartiest and very well deserved congrats on the UWOL win, lovely piece, and your Corvus corax short is another winner if you ask me.

Per - I think you should be out at Shamwari doing this series!

Best Regards

Andy

Andrew M Astbury April 9th, 2007 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Taka (Post 656488)
............. currently playing on Discovery HD - Planet Earth. Tonights episodes are Shallow Seas and Great Plains. Simply the most spectacular footage I've seen so far in HD.

Bill - this series has got to be the 'Holy Grail' of wildlife filming.

I think my favourite sequence from the series has to be the Oryx crossing the sand dunes - the whole sequence stunned me when I first saw it.

The wolf chassing the carribou calf and the 'continental sized' flock of migrating snow geese also stick solidly in the mind too.

My wife just bought me the boxed dvd set - so she is usefull after all!

Regards

Andy

Kevin Railsback April 9th, 2007 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew M Astbury (Post 656536)
Crikey, I couldn't believe what I was seeing when they strolled off from the vehicle to film the giraffe with stix in zip-up cases, cameras not set up etc.
Hoping the resident wildlife will stay in place while you mess about trying to fix a spreader to your t/pod and at the same time trying not to get your nice white safari jacket dirty is a bit of a tall order.....

Whenever I'm out in the field, I keep my camera powered up, on the sticks and slung over my shoulder. I ususally try to get it white balanced and have the exposure set for current conditions. All I have to do is set the sticks down, focus and hit the record button.

I'f I'm travelling on some rough ground and I don't want to carry the camera on the sticks, I still leave it powered up in the bag so it's ready to go as soon as I pull it out.

I've seen to many shots lost by people who see something then spend so much time getting their gear set up.

I've already taken the shot and am getting ready to move on while they're still setting up. :)

Is this series outside of the US only? I'd love to watch it, it sounds really interesting.

Rick A. Phillips April 9th, 2007 07:37 AM

I couldn't find any listings for this on Animal Planet in our cable listings. It does look like the final films for the contestants for round 1 are available for viewing online at: http://www.animalplanet.co.uk/unearthed/

Rick

Mat Thompson April 9th, 2007 09:49 AM

Hey guys....Yeah this was outside US only. I actually applied and made a short but no joy unfortunately, all experience I guess. The final films seem to be ok....but to be honest I was expecting a little more. Some of the editing doesnt have much structure to it and a lot of the camera work is pretty point and shoot.

I missed the 1st show unfortunately...but I hoping someone I know recorded it for me....fingers crossed.

Kevin Railsback April 9th, 2007 10:09 AM

Can you view the finished films online now? I clicked on a couple of them and all I got was a blank green page.

Rick A. Phillips April 9th, 2007 10:54 AM

Don't know what the problem is Kevin. I am able to view all of those listed over on the left side of the screen online. It takes a couple of seconds for it to start playing.

Rick

Kevin Railsback April 9th, 2007 11:20 AM

I'll try again. II'm Mac based with Safari. Sometimes that causes problems with some sites.

Kevin Railsback April 9th, 2007 11:39 AM

It's a Safari thing. Tried them with Firefox and they load just fine.

Per Johan Naesje April 9th, 2007 11:40 AM

Kevin, those videoes are wmv encoded so that maybe the problem?

Edit: Fine that you managed to view them Kevin!