Going Micro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old March 17th, 2007, 07:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Going Micro

Hi everybody,

Im new here and am looking at extending my current passion of nature macrophotography into macro videography. I am experienced with macro photography and currently shoot with a Canon-based system. I have a few questions that I hope many of you can advise me upon:

1) Im leaning towards the Canon XL H1 (would love to shoot in HD to be future-proof but would consider the XL2)...I am however considering the JVC 250 as well. I have read through some of the threads and noticed that the JVC allows Canon lenses to be mounted? If so, what is the multiplier effect?

2) Does the minimum focusing distance of the EF lenses change when used on the H1 with the EF adaptor?

3) Im looking at micro mag rates of about 8X life-size. The MPE-65 that im using is giving me just that on a 1.6X DSLR body. Theoratically, with a H1, it will be multiplied by 7 (assuming MFD does not change) which gives me 35x???

4) Any accessories that are recommended so that I can factor them in the final budget? I will need a rock solid support setup and am looking at Vinten and the Ronsrail support.

Attached is an image that I have shot with the MPE and will the H1 and 180 macro or MPE-65 give me mag rates like these?

http://tripeaksimagery.com/html_file..._work/lw_9.htm

Thank you very much in advance.

Bregards,

WeeHan
Yeo Wee Han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi WeeHan,

I can't offer much advice re which camera would suit your requirements, however, my understanding is, a 1:1 macro lens will produce an image at the focal point of lifesize, this should not be affected by sensor size, yes a smaller sensor will record less of the subject but it should still be lifesize.

I can confirm the minimum focus distance remains the same with an ef adaptor on an XL2. By way of example I have attathced 2 images, video.jpg and dslr.jpg, these are both at 1:1 magnification with a 100mm macro lens, video made using the XL2 and dslr using a canon 5d, both full frame just resized for the web, the divisions are 1mm.

Hopefully the example says it all. I make no attempt at understanding the results!.
Attached Thumbnails
Going Micro-video.jpg   Going Micro-dslr.jpg  

Sonny Horsfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 02:29 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Sonny,

Thank you very much for your pics and confirmation! Its indeed a relief to find that the MFD is unchanged.

I should have made myself clearer in that the mag rate is unchanged but the final effect is the equal of the change in subject size (can be just simply put as cropping). DOF of course remains paper thin...Thanks alot once again and looking forward to more input from the others.

Cheers

WeeHan
Old March 18th, 2007, 03:48 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Horsfall View Post
Hi WeeHan,

I can't offer much advice re which camera would suit your requirements, however, my understanding is, a 1:1 macro lens will produce an image at the focal point of lifesize, this should not be affected by sensor size, yes a smaller sensor will record less of the subject but it should still be lifesize.

I can confirm the minimum focus distance remains the same with an ef adaptor on an XL2. By way of example I have attathced 2 images, video.jpg and dslr.jpg, these are both at 1:1 magnification with a 100mm macro lens, video made using the XL2 and dslr using a canon 5d, both full frame just resized for the web, the divisions are 1mm.

Hopefully the example says it all. I make no attempt at understanding the results!.
To gain the same 1:1 magnification as a DSLR, the XL2 using the same Macro lens would need to be a heck of lot longer distance away from the subject, and also have a lot more light or gain to match the exposure.

If both were set on tripods at the same distance from the subject, the XL2 would still provide more than a 7 X magnification factor compared the 5D.
Old March 18th, 2007, 07:08 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks alot Tony! That is great to know as my working distance will be greatly increased and subjects will not be spooked that easily.

I will have to rent a H1 to mount my lenses to check out the mag rates and sharpness before I get one.

Cheers

WeeHan
Old March 22nd, 2007, 02:34 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Anyone has any opinions on the accessories that I will need to purchase? Im looking at either the Ronsrail or the Reallyrightstuff Kennan Ward Super-tele package...http://reallyrightstuff.com/mpr/index.html

Thanks alot in advance.

Cheers

WeeHan
Old March 22nd, 2007, 09:20 AM   #7
Trustee

The ReallyRightStuff is mainly for still camera SLR setups. You're far better off using Ronsrail kit for DV cameras such as the XL2 as it will support both the lens and XL2 body correctly on the tripod head. You'll be able to use the Ronsrail for both macro setups and for extreme telephoto shoots.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 03:24 PM   #8
Regular Crew

what kind of setup should i use with an xh a1...a screw on redlens? quality?
William Boehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 06:34 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Tony,

The RRS KW package is specifically designed for the Canon XL series that Kennan Ward uses with his 500/4 lens. It works on the same principle as the Ronsrail. Unfortunately, there is no pic of the setup on the website. I will take a pic of the setup from the catalog and post it later on on the day.

William,

Hmmm...Im sure the EOS lenses will provide way more than enough sharpness and resolution for the H1. If budget allows, the 'L' series lenses from Canon will be the way to go. There are ways to mount Nikon lenses too so it depends on your personal preference.

Cheers

WeeHan
Old March 23rd, 2007, 01:55 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Boehm View Post
what kind of setup should i use with an xh a1...a screw on redlens? quality?
William, I've found that SLR adapters are not the way to go for underwater footage, because your main problem is not finding quality lenses but more so trying to get a wide enough field of view.

I'd love to use my Nikon Nikonos ultra-sharp 15mm & 20mm underwater lenses on my XL cameras, but it would just turn them into a 100mm+ telephoto.

The other option of 35mm conversion adapters such as P&S etc, are just too bulky for underwater housings.

I've found that the Canon XL DV zoom lenses are more than enough glass for high quality underwater footage. I use the Canon XL 20X & 3X AF lenses as well as the HDV .7X FX Red Eye for underwater work.

For the XL-H1, I'd advise you to get the Canon XL 6X AF zoom lens (or the older 3X SD lens if you're short of cash) as these will provide all the options you need both underwater and topside. Add the 72mm thread .7X HDV version Red Eye lens when you need to go even wider.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land