Of grouse, hawks and ground squirrels at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old April 15th, 2007, 06:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Of grouse, hawks and ground squirrels

Hi fellow filmmakers,this morning I was finally free to leave my studio and go filming, my last SD film is now completed (Journey Home of the Chinook Salmon), will post more on this film when it's on my website. With the snow mostly gone on the valley floor it was easy hiking around and found a red-tailed hawks nest high up in a tree with the owners flying around, a little bit of footage here. There are many Columbian ground squirrels in this location and they were running around in the warm sunshine, filmed a number of them with one at 6 feet. Guided by drumming I located a ruffed grouse on his drumming log and was able to get full screen shots of his drumming. The audio wasn't great as I was about 100 feet away. I usually set a blind up very close to the log which allows me to capture perfect audio. The camera I now use is the Canon XLH1. At any rate it was wonderful to be hiking around in the bush once again. Happy filming!

Leon Lorenz
www.wildlifevideos.ca
Leon Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 10:29 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I would love to see a short clip of the druming grouse.
Old April 17th, 2007, 09:25 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Dale, I would love to share clips, however, I'm on very slow dial-up internet and unable to send anything. My bird film Feathered Friends has lots of very close drumming footage ( a coyote tries to catch it and misses by a split second ) along with a wide variety of rare footage of birds filmed in western Canada. Yesterday I filmed a male ruffed grouse dispaying his feathers to a female and today stunning footage of a Canada goose on her nest which was on a tiny island in a beaver pond.

All the best,

Leon Lorenz
www.wildlifevideos.ca
Leon Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 09:46 PM   #4
Inner Circle

big horn audio

Loren,

I checked out your web page. Nice and simple and user friendly. The audio on the big horns was great. What kind of sound collector were you using!!
Old April 19th, 2007, 06:11 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Dale, I'm glad that your enjoying my website clips, I use a aftermarket shotgun mic and try to get close to the action to record good audio, also filming in areas where there is no man made sounds is so important to record clean audio.

Best,

Leon Lorenz
www.wildlifevideos.ca
Leon Lorenz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land