DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   American Goldfinch (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/91821-american-goldfinch.html)

Rick A. Phillips April 18th, 2007 04:42 PM

American Goldfinch

1 Attachment(s)
Each year about this time we are deluged by American Goldfinches in our yard. This happens as some Chinese Elm trees in an adjacent yard releases seeds which the goldfinches love to eat. They also relish dandelion seeds which are abundant at this time. The males are currently molting from their plainer brownish winter plumage into a breeding plumage of brilliant yellow with black cap, wings, and tail. I managed to capture this short clip of a male in a transitional plumage. He was in the shade of overhanging trees on a mostly overcast day. These are tiny birds and you either have to use high magnification or get very close to get an image viewable at 320 x 240.

Rick

Dale Guthormsen April 18th, 2007 06:38 PM

Rick,

these are some of my favorite small birds, locally refered to as canaries. they will be here in about 3 weeks and a fair number stay and breed. I leave my dandilions in one area just to feed them. You can also put up a yellow feeder with niger seed in it and they will make your place more like home.

the picture doesn,t do them justice, just to coarse. Try setting for 428 x 240 with a data rate of 1800 frame rate at 1:1, perhaps you can make it a little better.

Gabriel Yeager April 18th, 2007 06:46 PM

Its a pretty bird. Its to bad that it got a big bite from the compression Gods' (lol!!! Just Kidding!)!

I would like to see a higher quality video if possible...

~Gabriel

Rick A. Phillips April 18th, 2007 08:49 PM

I resized the attachment to give a larger image of the bird. Still not too sharp I think because of the very low light when the video was taken. Still, looks crystal clear when viewed on SD television. Thanks for suggestions.

Rick

Gabriel Yeager April 18th, 2007 11:23 PM

Ahh, thats much nicer. Thanks for doing that.

You have inspired me to go out and shoot again.. The last time I got any wildlife footage was for UWOL #1. Its been awhile..

~Gabriel

Rick A. Phillips April 19th, 2007 05:12 AM

Yea, Gabriel I remember your mentioning when you got the camera how you would like to do some wildlife videography. There's lots of things you could get good video of with your camera. You could really do some stuff if you could manage to get ahold of a good 2x teleconverter. Beware of cheap ones...before I bought my Sony 2x off of ebay I went out and bought a Tiffen 2x at circuit city. Complete waste of money. You have to get surprisingly close to birds to get a good sized image in the frame (for most smaller birds), but you can make up for high powered lenses by being sneaky!

Rick

Mark Williams April 19th, 2007 07:47 AM

Rick,

Very nice clip.