Super-telephoto for consumer camcorders? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old May 12th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #16
Major Player

Doing a digital zoom to 1.5X would leave only about 40% of the original pixels that came from the sensor (2,073,000. down to 833,000). The processor would have to extrapolate to bring the number back up to 1,440 X 1,080 (1,555,200), for encoding as HDV. About 46% of the pixels would be from extrapolation. That would degrade the image, but it might be acceptable for some subjects. I would never do a digital zoom on anything I wanted to look like true HD. As I mentioned previously, you can get just so much magnification out of these small lenses, even if it's an entirely optical process, without bringing down the picture quality. If you magnify with digital zooming, it's much worse. HDV, due to its high compression rate, would suffer more than many other SD and HD formats by digital zooming.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 10:53 AM   #17
Major Player

The loss of information with digital zoom is inevitable, but sometimes I'm willing to have less information if I can zoom in on a small bird and have something that is between HDV and DV resolution. Do you know if the HV10 and HV20 digital zooming occurs before HDV encoding? If it does, than it may make more sense to zoom in the camera than in post processing; and these Canon cameras would have a slightly more usable digital zoom than one with a 1440 x 1080 sensor image.

Pat
Pat Reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Reddy View Post
Do you know if the HV10 and HV20 digital zooming occurs before HDV encoding?
I can't tell you for sure, but because of the way HDV is encoded, using a key frame with a string of other frames dependent on it, I'd guess that a digital zoom would take place on the signal before encoding.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 03:07 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Johan Naesje View Post
Oliver it's time to start to save up money for the real stuff! I think only camcorders like the Canon XLH1 will give you the picture quality you are looking for at least when we are talking about 1500mm +++ focal length.
When I read this, Per Johan, I get a serious itch to use an XLH1 ... what I want to see is a few tiny clips of bird flight footage shot using XLH1 with super lens and with standard lens ... any chance, please, whenever you have a little spare time??
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 03:07 AM   #20
Major Player

Please ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Stephen McDonald View Post
... I would never do a digital zoom on anything I wanted to look like true HD. As I mentioned previously, you can get just so much magnification out of these small lenses, even if it's an entirely optical process, without bringing down the picture quality. If you magnify with digital zooming, it's much worse. ....
Any chance of getting informed opinion on this standard of digiscoping equipment (from adorama.com), please ....

Barska 15 - 45 x 60 Blackhawk DSS60, Angled Spotting Scope with Built-in 3.1 Mega Pixel Digital Camera with 2.5" TFT Color Screen

... can't find reference to Barska on Flickr
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #21
Tourist

Oliver Reik Super telephoto

Is Oliver Reik still around?,
Does any one know how to contact him via e-mail?.
I have tried though DVi, but no response.
I may have the lens adaption he's looking for.
Regards
William Estes
william_nell2@hotmail.com
William Estes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land