yellow heads clip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old May 27th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #1
Inner Circle

yellow heads clip

rick,

Pretty tired after working most of the day. Read your post, so I loaded up to go out and get some good yellowhead footage.

the perk was that while out I found a mother kildeer with babies that I was able to video. should have something good there!!
Attached Files
File Type: mov male yellow head.mov (1.26 MB, 181 views)
File Type: mov female yellowhead.mov (1.16 MB, 144 views)
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Man Dale, those are some beautiful birds. The head reminds me of some of the orioles (which isn't surprising since they are both in the same family). Sorry to push you into that after a hard days work, but at least you got the bonus of the Killdeer. I was on a female today that I'm sure either had a nest or young nearby, but it was ungodly hot and I just didn't feel like baking any longer. I've been trying to upload some clips of a Great Blue Heron nest with young for two days and every time I after the file completes uploading I get a message saying the upload failed. It's within the size limits and size restrictions for a wmv file. Maybe it's just had enough of my crap and is trying to force me towards some better equipment. Thanks for letting us see the blackbirds.

Rick
Rick A. Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 09:51 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Rick,

I have had exactly the same problem!!! I do not think it is your computer. I suspect that there is some parameter that we are just outside of so it wont do the job. I have been trying to sort it out, but as you can see, all my clips have to be about 1 mbyt or they wont run, hence the short clips!!!
there may be something wrong with the uploader as well. I have tried wmv and qt and have the same issue.

I am going to work up a web page in the next month or two so I can download to it and use a link to it.

It was 75 degrees today with a moderate wind all day, pretty perfect weather for here!! got cloudy just so i could go out and film.
Old May 28th, 2007, 06:12 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I've been experimenting a bit with posting a couple of clips on youtube. There are some small icons on the bottom left of the player that they use where you can either play full screen (horrible) or resize the video to something close to what we get here. When you play at that size the quality looks about like it does here. So, if we can get the same quality and not take up space here and post as many clips as we like....sounds good. One thing, I have read that when you upload the video there you should upload the best quality you can, so that after the youtube software processes it the end result will be something accepatable to watch. I think files can be up to 100MB. Here's a try with one of the Red-winged Blackbird Clips. I'll get the Great Blue Herons on there later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUVgG0lopLk

Rick
Old May 28th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #5
Major Player

Steady clip and lovely new bird for me, Dale.

Nice Red-winged Blackbird Rick and his or her choice of music confirms the opinion that any relationship with european blackbird is remote indeed. I'm wondering if this clip of Black Guillemots would look better on Youtube but I'm having enough difficulty in remembering how to upload it here; now where did I put Per Johan's guidelines ... anyway here goes I hope
Attached Files
File Type: mov B G 1Lg_Prog_001.mov (1.39 MB, 129 views)

Last edited by Brendan Marnell; May 28th, 2007 at 03:13 PM.
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 03:16 PM   #6
Major Player

Black guillemot clip looks much clearer to me on WMP so here goes ... for comparison ... comments please
Attached Files
File Type: wmv B G 1Lg_Prog.wmv (1.33 MB, 110 views)
Old May 28th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Marnell View Post
Black guillemot clip looks much clearer to me on WMP so here goes ... for comparison ... comments please
For me the wmv file played with wmp was much, much better than the mov file. Colors were way more saturated and the image quite a bit larger. Cool birds...thanks for the look.

Rick
Old May 28th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #8
Major Player

Also Upload Failure

I just tried uploading a wmv file of 2.4Mb, and the upload failed. I give up until the problem is solved, so I may never have a chance to upload any video clips. The implication in that statement, is I don't think it will ever get fixed.
Old May 29th, 2007, 01:03 AM   #9
Major Player

I think it's forum policy that 2Mb is the maximum file size for video clips at the moment (apart from the special limits allowed for UWOL challenges). That's why I've been sending all bird flight clips to IBC which has improved it's video quality and shows file sizes up to 8 Mbs.

Don, I have split a 3Mb clip of vulture flight in 2 pieces to show them on one post on DVInfo using the multi-item file attachment facility. I guess I could try to split a 10Mb clip into 5 bits if the clip was worth the bother & time. I hope I have not seen the end of your flight clips; they have delighted so many of us.

The Guillemot 10 second clip was compressed from 38Mbs using Sorenson.

I do hope to see more clips from all of you.
Old May 29th, 2007, 10:51 AM   #10
Major Player

Brendan,
If you look at the max size listed for wmv's, it's 3.72Mb for the file size, and a max dimension of 320x240. I don't see anything that mentions a 2 MB file limit. Also, they should update the max dimensons to reflect 16:9 attachments, although the ability to upload may be file size dependent, and not the dimension size.
Old May 29th, 2007, 11:27 AM   #11
Major Player

My mistake, you're dead right, Don.

I've been leaving dimensions higher than 320X240 and probably losing quality by over-compressing.

Anyway you're also quite right about file size ... it should of course be increased, if only to reflect the fact that UWOL still has the potential to be the showcase for some of the best video clips around. If DVInfo wants a snappy line constantly refreshing itself in merchandise this could be the shop window ... as it is, it's more like a letter-box (unless you have a parcel [= challenge] to deliver).
Old May 29th, 2007, 12:31 PM   #12
Major Player

Bredan and All,
UWOL at the moment is probably the best and user friendly showcase for good wildlife footage, but it isnt going to last forever. Take a look at what's coming over the horizon.

http://www.wildlifechannel.tv/

This uploading problem can be fixed, and until it is, I'm not going to start splitting clips. I have sent lots of footage to the IBC site, but that's only about birds, and most that send footage, I wouldn't exactly call serious wildlife shooters.

The ball is in the powers to be's court. If they aren't interested in fixing this problem and making UWOL a viable forum, then I think you will find people starting to drift away. For what it worth.......
Old May 29th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #13
Major Player

That link offers considerable temptation to anyone with good clips to show off ... they even have space for my raptors ...

Do I hear a Chorus "Good riddance, good riddance, goodbye ...
Old May 29th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Brendan,

I hear and understand where you guys are coming from. I have mentioned this at least twice before in other threads.
I have found the attachment issue totally frustrating. I can not get it to down load any clip over the size you saw on the yellow head.

Look at the size some of the other formats can have!!

It would be very easy to up the file size, reduce the timeframe an attachment can get a free ride for member viewing so as to not abuse the memory world.

I shoot a lot of wildlife and would like to be able to show some of the nicer stuff. I am currently looking for a site to be able to download to.

how about a list of useable sites, Anyone!!
Old May 30th, 2007, 09:06 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don DesJardin View Post
Bredan and All,
UWOL at the moment is probably the best and user friendly showcase for good wildlife footage, but it isnt going to last forever. Take a look at what's coming over the horizon.

http://www.wildlifechannel.tv/

This uploading problem can be fixed, and until it is, I'm not going to start splitting clips. I have sent lots of footage to the IBC site, but that's only about birds, and most that send footage, I wouldn't exactly call serious wildlife shooters.

The ball is in the powers to be's court. If they aren't interested in fixing this problem and making UWOL a viable forum, then I think you will find people starting to drift away. For what it worth.......
Thanks for the heads-up on this link, Don. I checked it out and it has some nice clips. It's kindof like youtube, for me I have to click on the video and then select 100% zoom. This downsizes the clip a bit and it seems much clearer to me. Nice site.

Rick
Rick A. Phillips is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land