nature videos shoot in 60i 24p or 30p ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old June 6th, 2007, 01:53 AM   #1
Major Player

nature videos shoot in 60i 24p or 30p ?

if your recording nature type video, video thats like on discovery or national geographic. would you use 60i ? or 30p ? or 24p ?

i was planing on shooting some using the 60i on my sony v1u. is that the best?

i guess its a matter of opinion; but what would you use?
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 08:32 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Dave,

Lots of opinions here!! I shoot a lot of birds. I personally shoot 30 p for that. I have found that I can make the bird flight look more realistic to my eyes. 30 p at 1/60 will gives me an image more like my eye sees in actual flight. As for other footage i shoot the same so I can put them together easily, though you could shoot in anything.

Wait to hear others opinions on this one!!!
Old June 6th, 2007, 08:59 AM   #3
Trustee

Dave, I either shoot at 720p/24pn at 24fps or overcrank to 60fps for wildlife. If I'm doing landscapes and scenics, I shoot at 1080p/30p
Old June 6th, 2007, 10:15 AM   #4
Major Player

Dave, the way I make the decision as to whether 60i, 30p, or 24p is according to the animal and its charcteristics. Since birds have been brought up I will use a few for examples. An eagle would be thought of as majestic and has a slow wingbeat therefor I would want to intensify the majestic theme so I would shoot either 30 or 24 to make the wing beat and head movement a little more film like(slower). As for a teal or hummingbird which is a fast mover I would shoot 60i with maybe even raising shutter speed to 250 or even 500 to intensify the characteristic(movement) of that species. All in all you can't go wrong with either 60i,30 or 24p. It is how you want yourself and possibly others to interpret what you shoot. Just a suggestion
John M. McCloskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 02:30 PM   #5
Inner Circle

kevin,John,

Do you have any issues using cross platform formats in the same project??

I understand John's concept of trying to fit birds to the format, but I have definitely found that faster shutter speeds always magnifies wing flicker!! Which really looks aweful, or at least not like the eye sees it.
Of course wing flicker can be reduced in post by making it slower motion, but I prefer to get it right in the field if possible.

I have not shot a hummingbird, do their wings move so fast their is no flicker, just blur regardless of shutter speed??

John,
could you expand on how 60i would enhance the perspective on the eagle, not sure i fully understand how it would work.
Old June 12th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #6
Major Player

I wouldnt shoot 60i on an eagle in flight unless I was going to slow it down in post which like yourself I would rather get the slower fealing in the field. If i were to video a eagle in flight on 60i I would lower the shutter speed to 30 to intensify the majestics of the animal also the lower shutter speed may enhance the light enough to where I could use the highest setting of ND that I could get from my camera. Once again, 60i, 24p or any other setting is gonna get the job done, its what the shooter is trying to portray. If the eagle was diving for a fish, I could see 60i with a shutter speed of 250 to be the setting I was wanting, allot of variables can come into a hypothesis of a video subject. As for an eagle coasting on the wind I would use 24p.
Old June 12th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #7
Regular Crew

i have shot both anna's and rufous hummingbirds on nests last month, and the wings look like what i see...a blur...60p. bill
William Boehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 01:41 PM   #8
Major Player

Take a look at a NASCAR race on TV shot at night and watch the bright shiny rims, they almost look like they are going backwards. They do that with seriosly high shutter speeds not because they have to because that is the look they are going for. It may not look like what your eye sees but they are enhancing the characteristics of the fast motion. Same could be said with tobacco filters, sepia filters, star filters, spot filters. They all can enhance a scene but its not going to look like what your eye sees(it's not supposed to), it'a all up to the look your going for.
Old June 12th, 2007, 02:14 PM   #9
Trustee

In my dream world I shoot in 60P all the time and
deliver in 24P. 25P for Europe. That way I always
can get decent slo mo.

In reality, I shoot in 60i and plan on using software
to create 24P. It also looks like the AJA IO HD
might just do this conversion on the fly soon.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land