DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Tripod leg suggestions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/96211-tripod-leg-suggestions.html)

Dale Guthormsen June 10th, 2007 12:16 AM

Tripod leg suggestions

Good evening,

My older miller head is working terrific. I shot two events the last two days and it has totally improved my footage.\

My problem lies with the legs!! the old wood legs definitely have some huge limitations.

The head is a flat base and I am ordering a ball head adapter for it.

I shoot with an xl2 with lenses. Largest are a 500 fd lens and my 100-400 eos.

I know bug squat about larger tripods.

While this old miller F fluid head is a huge improvement over anything I have laid my hands on, I do plan to get a newer one down the road, so this may be a consideration in getting the current legs.

I would love some suggestions with some information about them if possible!!!!!

Would like to keep the price 800 us dollars or less, if feasable.

Should I go 75 or 100?? My gear will not top 20 pounds on the pod.

Yeo Wee Han June 10th, 2007 08:20 PM

Dale,

Are you going to be shooting near ground level? I shoot macro much of the time thus, my tripod has no spreaders as that would limit me from going low to the floor.

I am using a Vinten Vision 6 on a Gitzo 1410 (also known as 410) and its a solid setup. I was comtemplating the new Gitzo 6X 5540LS which goes up to more than 2m but was not able to becoz of budget. A 75mm bowl will be more than enough for your setup.

Cheers

WeeHan

Per Johan Naesje June 11th, 2007 02:28 AM

Dale, it's often windy at your place, right?
I will recommend you to put as much money in the tripod and head as you can afford and a little bit more...!
I'm using the heavy Miller Arrow HD myself, it's a 100 head and I love it!! Even at the huge focal lenght that 500mm lenses give you the footage are very smooth and steady.

Dale Guthormsen June 11th, 2007 02:48 PM

Per Johan,

I am presently going to stay with the current miller head, till next spring, and I am considering buying a set of legs. then come spring when I get my retirement setelment getting an hd camera and a new fluid head such as a miller arrow 30.
It is windy all the time.

I do not shoot much macro, but being able to get low is always a benifit, but I have to have it dead steady up higher, wonder if that is a trade off? If it is I have to go for steady in the wind!!!

I am looking at some suggestions for legs. My miller head is about 7lbs, it is a flat mount. I have ordered a ball for it.

Yeo Wee Han June 13th, 2007 06:56 AM

Dale,

Try looking at the Gitzo 1410 aluminium legs. Solid and heavy and will deal with the winds. A carbon fibre may topple and you will need the mass of aluminium legs. That said, the Arrow 30 is superb and was one of my choices but way out of my budget. Got a secondhand 1410 for USD150 and never regretted it.

Cheers

WeeHan