Newbe Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old June 24th, 2007, 09:07 AM   #1
Major Player

Newbe Question

I'm a Newbe, and not the smartest vegatable in the truck.

How are you folks sharing video footage?

How and where are you uploading to thie site?

I'm real slow at learning web site navigation, and figuring things out since my stroke 5 years ago.

I have a few things I might want to share.

Dave Rice
Sitka, Alaska
David Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 09:43 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi David,
I think you have posted your question in wrong forum, this will apply better at the DVD and web video delivery:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=37

Anyway I try to help you out. For sharing video footage on the web you must upload a video to a webhost which support video material. There are many options out there, some have their own webservers (like me) and others upload their videoes to sites like youtube or googlevideo etc...

Before you do this, it's best that you have edited and compressed your video in a suitable format. Many of us use QT-, wmv or flash for webvideo. There are lots of software out there even for free you can use.

If you tell us more about what kind of software you are using, we can help you in more detail what to do, to share your videos.
Old June 24th, 2007, 12:34 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm using Vegas 7d.
Old June 24th, 2007, 01:02 PM   #4
Major Player

Per Johan,

Wow, you have a very impressive web page. Nice to have good equipment with quality telephoto lens.

I'm disabled and living on a small pension. I use a Canon HV 10. I don't have any telephoto lens, so I have to sneak-up on my birds and other animals. I try to get within 40-50 feet of my subjects. Mostly birds, sea mamals, small land animals, and Brown Bears, which can be real tricky.

Some day I hope to be able to own some better equipment.

Dave Rice
Sitka, Alaska
Old June 24th, 2007, 01:34 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear David,

I was lucky enough to stay in Sitka for about a week. You have a very beautiful environment!

I am one of many that is shooting in HDV and waiting for the winner in the HD DVD vs Blu-Ray battle to come to a close (and for prices to drop).

So currently, I create SD DVDs. I hope this will change soon.

All is not lost, as the HDV cameras, such as yours, can produce SD DVDs that are better than those produced on most all SD cameras.
Old June 24th, 2007, 01:35 PM   #6
Major Player

David,
Try monitoring the HV10/HV20 forum because there has been some threads dealing with tele extenders for use on the HV10 and HV20. Also, a lot of useful information is contained on this forum. Your doing the right thing, by working around your handicap and getting out in the field. Rather than have to put you through a hunting exercise, here is the Canon part number for a 1.5x extender.

Tele-Converter TL-H37
Increases the focal length of your lens by 1.5X.

It's not like the big telephoto lenses, but it will help in placing youself outside many animals "circle of fear".

Last edited by Don DesJardin; June 24th, 2007 at 03:34 PM.
Don DesJardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #7
Major Player

Sitka is a very "video rich environment" so I don't need to travel far. I have shot over 30 hours of HD footage in the last ten months. So far everything I have shot has been withn 6 miles of my house. I enjoy putting the sneak on critters. I don't hunt with a gun anymore, so hunting with a camera has allowed me to continue the chase. Outside of town is bear country, so I still pack my 30-06. Large male Steller Sea Lions can be tricky also.

If I can figure out how to do it. I'll enter some footage in the contest. However, It takes me awhile now to figure new things out.

I'm saving for a new camera. I would like the Canon XL-H1, but my budget says it will be a HV20 with a tele-converter.

Last edited by David Rice; June 24th, 2007 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old June 25th, 2007, 01:38 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rice View Post
Sitka is a very "video rich environment" so I don't need to travel far. I have shot over 30 hours of HD footage in the last ten months. So far everything I have shot has been withn 6 miles of my house. I enjoy putting the sneak on critters. I don't hunt with a gun anymore, so hunting with a camera has allowed me to continue the chase. Outside of town is bear country, so I still pack my 30-06. Large male Steller Sea Lions can be tricky also.
Wow, looks like you surroundings are real wild David! I'm looking forward to see some of your footage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rice View Post
If I can figure out how to do it. I'll enter some footage in the contest. However, It takes me awhile now to figure new things out.
Ok, the UWOL-challenge has it own website where you upload your video contribution for the challenge.
On this website you'll find all you need to know about rules and uploads of the video: http://www.uwolchallenge.com/index.htm (click on "contest rules").
Personally I don't use Vegas as my NLE but I know other do, so maybe some of them can help you with the details inside Vegas.
One important note to the uwol-challenge is that you shall be able to compress you video to a decent format without any cost (buy another software). The file format for the uwol-challenge is therefore decided to be in some standard compressing formats, quote from the uwol-challenge website:
Quote:
To ensure that all videos can be viewed across platforms (Mac, PC, etc.), all submissions MUST be compressed to Sorenson 3, Mpeg1 or Mpeg4 codecs. Video size is limited to 60 mb 320 x 240 (4:3 aspect ratio) or 428 x 240 (16:9 widescreen).
As I said I'm not sure how to exactly do this in Vegas, as I'm not using this software, but I think people at this community will help you out with the details!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land