Underwater Fish Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old June 26th, 2007, 09:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Underwater Fish Video

Just for fun. I keep some native North American fish in aquaria as a hobby. At a recent national convention of the North American Native Fishes Association in Greensboro, NC, a member took some video of some or our very colorful native fish spawning over a gravel substrate. This is not pro stuff...just a waterproof point and shoot camera, but I thought some people might want to take a quick look just for fun. Some of our native fish right here rival any tropical fish you have ever seen. These are Redlip Shiners and Mountain Redbelly Dace. Take a look!

http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t...ish_spawn4.flv

Rick

Last edited by Rick A. Phillips; June 26th, 2007 at 10:08 AM. Reason: correct spelling
Rick A. Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 09:53 AM   #2
Trustee

Fun to watch Rick and nice to see some foreign species we don't see in Norway. I guess it wasn't the fish laughing :)
Old June 26th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

No, I guess not. I was surprised to hear the people talking as well, but I'm pretty sure this is a very shallow stream.

Rick
Rick A. Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I must confess, those are some pretty colorful fish. Are they cold water or warm water fish?

Sound travels through fluids and solids just fine, that is why we get camera noise unless we use special mounts, eh? I'd rather it was the fish!!
Old June 26th, 2007, 02:26 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
I must confess, those are some pretty colorful fish. Are they cold water or warm water fish?
They are both relatively warm water species. They are found in the foothills and mountains of western NC and VA, but both will do fine in an unheated aquarium at room temp. On the eastern side of the Blue Ridge Mountains here in upper east Tennessee we have a sister species to the Red-lip Shiner called the Saffron Shiner. A school of a hundred spawning in a small stream is a sight to see.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Underwater Fish Video-saffron_shiner.jpg  
Rick A. Phillips is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land