Traveling with the XL-2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old July 3rd, 2007, 07:16 AM   #1
Trustee

Traveling with the XL-2

Well I just got back from two weeks traveling in Brazil. I packed my Canon XL-2 with 20x and 3x, all accessories, three battaries, mic, 10 tapes, two head cleaners, small digital still camera, two chargers, all wires and other "stuff" into a Tamrac 651 rolling Strongbox. It has a large outside pocket for small stuff such as wires and cleaning equipment. It worked great. I was on 9 flights, big planes and little planes and it went as carry on with absolutely no questions asked. I also took it on buses, vans and trucks. Everything made the trip with no problems. And let me tell you this, having rollers is a real pleasure for this old back. And the best part is that it looks just like any other piece of carry on luggage. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 06:45 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Thats great to know Bob! Im looking at a travel solution too and am right now using a Lowepro Computrekker Plus AW for the H1 and matte box. Lenses go into Lowepro lens pouches.

I will take a look at the Tamrac!

P.S: What do you work out of when you get onto location? I assume the Tamrac is for travelling only right?

Cheers

WeeHan
Yeo Wee Han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 07:18 AM   #3
Trustee

Yeo Wee, right, the Tamrac is for traveling and keeping gear in hotel room (only in safe areas), or in the transport. When in the field I carry a small Tamrac shoulder bag for 3x, battaries, lens cleaner etc. I also wear a photo vest and hook my Canon to the metal ring on the vest to prevent accidental dropping (or snatch and run). Also inside the vest I carry large trash bags for those sudden down pours as well as a hat, repellant, handywipes etc. In my opinion it is the best way to travel with your equipment and save your back for better things. If needed, you can carry on your "soft case" as a small overnight bag stuffed with cloths and other stuff and swap out when you get to your location. Oh, I choose the Tamrac 651 because it is the only one on wheels that will definately fit on 95% of the planes. If it is to big they but it on board right at the flight line and it NEVER goes through baggage. The main difference between the Tamrac and the LoePro is the size of the outside pocket, the Tamrac is much bigger and therefor more usable. Bob
Old July 5th, 2007, 01:21 PM   #4
Major Player

A useful list of gear, Bob. Roller box a good idea; having no tripod saved your energy when trekking, but you might have wished for it when you saw the birdlife.

Is the Pantanal anything like Amazonas, hot and sticky with lots of dense canopy, or was it more open and drier? Google shows up 4 replies to Pantanal, only one is towards mid-north Brazil. How far were you from nearest city/town? Did ye camp out some nights or return to an urban base every night? Any more clips please, even though they could hardly match your superb Hyacinth Macaw ?
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 04:57 AM   #5
Trustee

Brendan, the Pantanal is a hugh wetlands the size of France. It is dry half the year. June-August are the best times. It was cool and dry there this time of year. Had to wear a light jacket during the night drives. Almost no insects. We went with a photo tour set up by International Expeditions. They specialize in small eco-tours, and most are led by a professional photographer. Anyway, we stayed at the Refugio Ecologico Caiman (go on Google). It is a nature reserve in the middle of a 130,000 ac working ranch. They supply transportation and guides. They estimate 4,000 macaws of the ranch. More clips to come. Bob
Old July 9th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Bob,

sounds like a cool trip!!

As I was driving out to the field to film today I had the thought of starting a thread on field kit!!
You hit the target pretty well. I am surprised you did not mention a tripod!! did you take a monopod??
I almost always take balck garbage bag with me, but today did not and got caught in the rain!!! My shirt went over the camera instantly and we hustled to cover.

would love to see some frame grabs or short clips of some of the interesting shots you got!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land