Wildlife Videography Training DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old July 10th, 2007, 05:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Wildlife Videography Training DVD

Hello
Does anybody out there know anything about a Wildlife Videography Training DVD that was just released by Cambridgeshire-based (UK) production company called Generic Pool?

The DVD is presented & demonstrated by Mike Linley a wildlife videographer from the UK.

There web site: www.wildlifefilmmaking.co.uk
Warren Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 09:30 AM   #2
Major Player

Mike Linleys credentials are first class. I will be viewing one of the DVD's this week and will let you all know how good it is

regards

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #3
Trustee

Mike Linleys a nice bloke. I've been tutored by him on a couple of courses and his experience, stories and skills are top notch.

Should be good !
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Training DVD

Mike

Thanks I'll be looking forward to hearing from you

Warren
Old July 11th, 2007, 06:11 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Mat

Thanks for the info. Thr DVD sounds likei t is a good one. I hope I'll make it availible in NTSC for us across the pond.

Warren
Old July 13th, 2007, 02:27 AM   #6
Major Player

I wonder what Mike Linley has to say about shooting birds in flight ...
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 11:24 AM   #7
Major Player

I have recieved the DVD and had a quick look. I does go from the very to basic end upwards but I have already picked up a couple of very good tips.
It lasts way over 2hrs and I have only had a quick look to date. I will give a more comprhensve report later next week.

Regards

Mick
Old July 19th, 2007, 02:49 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Marnell View Post
I wonder what Mike Linley has to say about shooting birds in flight ...
Simple answer Brendan-not a lot. I must say I was somewhat dissapointed with the DVD. Unless you have very little knowledge of wildlife filming this DVD would not be suitable. For those just taking up wildlife filming then you do gain a good insight into the basic's but for me it did not live up to its billing of letting us into lots of trade secrets., In fact I found very few during the whole 2 hrs or so. I was somewhat surpised that Mike promoted the aspect of trade secrets as I believe the script was by the producer and not himself and the DVD appeared to lack considerably in this quarter.
Just my opinion

Regards

Mick
Old July 19th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #9
Major Player

Well that saves me time and money, thank you, Mick.

I have more than enough dvds to plough through for tips without adding ones I don't need. It is tedious to find massive amounts of advice and software on editing in post and sweet f.a. on shooting tricky subject-matter.

Dear old marketing is alive and well ... never mind learning how to avoid the problem, darling, just look at our fantastic solutions [after you've made the same silly mistakes again] ... I'd guess that if it wasn't for some thoughtful and helpful members of DVInfo I'd still be shooting stills of flowers in my backgarden or on high mountains.

Perhaps it's time to start visualising how I might put together a selection of clips to illustrate what I'm learning ... I'm just visualising, just wondering, no more than that, that's me; full of wonder; spin it and you may say I'm a wonderful guy, oh thanks, you're too kind ... No, on second thoughts I'll ask the only other member I know who shoots and shows bird flight, Don DesJardin, now there's a chap who has learned a lot I want to learn ... but how to drag the thoughts out of him and make them sing, there's a challenge, two challenges. And then to compile (& illustrate?) a readable list of all the good tips relevant to bird videography elicited from people like you Mick over the years ... dammit, there's only one way to avoid this long and painstaking task ... let's elect a committee
Old July 19th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Just got mine a few days back and it is informative. BUT no as good as I wanted it to be. Perhaps if it was a series of DVDs, it would have been perfect but the price will not be the 40 pounds.

That said, I am doing this for a living so much of what Mike was talking about is familiar to me and for a beginner, this DVD can be a good introduction to wildlife lifemaking.

Cheers

Han
Yeo Wee Han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 04:11 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
, on second thoughts I'll ask the only other member I know who shoots and shows bird flight, Don DesJardin ...
No, I have not forgotten Bob Thompson's super footage of the flight and landing by a Dalmatian Pelican at Mai Po, Hong Kong ... here it is again for your renewed pleasure ... and his Black-faced spoonbill is delightful too ..

http://www.hbw.com/ibc/phtml/votacio...matian_Pelican
Old July 26th, 2007, 08:26 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
No, I have not forgotten Bob Thompson's super footage of the flight and landing by a Dalmatian Pelican at Mai Po, Hong Kong ... here it is again for your renewed pleasure ... and his Black-faced spoonbill is delightful too ..

http://www.hbw.com/ibc/phtml/votacio...matian_Pelican
Yes, Bob did a great job of trakking that pelican during a smooth pan...lovely footage and nice to watch it again. It brought back memories and made me want to revisit Hong Kong...my place of birth!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land