DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL #5 "SOON" By Brian McKay (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/104200-uwol-5-soon-brian-mckay.html)

Brian McKay September 23rd, 2007 09:03 AM

UWOL #5 "SOON" By Brian McKay

Hello All:

Four hours from now we climb on a mechanical bird and head off to Eastern Europe for six weeks so I figure I best get this posted. Unfortunately due to the timing of the trip we will return following the reviews and announcement of the winner. When I get back I'll reply to any comments I may get on my film and as well I will view and comment on the other entries.

I hope you enjoy what I brought to this challenge, I know I had fun being in the right place at the right time. As you will see it's all pure luck and again being in the right place.

Good Luck to All The Challengers, see you in six weeks.

Brian

Trond Saetre September 26th, 2007 07:06 AM

Brian, that was an interesting video.
Loved the sequence of the polar bear.

Thanks for sharing the views of those excotic mammals

Mat Thompson September 26th, 2007 12:37 PM

Hi Brian

Well what a selection of mammals, anyone of those would have made for a fine film but you bring us all five in one piece...however that is also my main gripe. I would have liked to seen more of these animals, particularly that arctic fox! I still can't believe we have polar bear footage directly shot for uwol....fantastic, they look so comfortable in the water, its a real shame they may have to spend even more time there before too long.

You seem to be having interlacing issues in your footage, are you shooting interlaced on some of those shots and rendering full frames? Also you seemed to be struggling with stability issues and smoothness on some of your pans.

Great choice of music and I liked the premise.

Good work......man I'm jealous of all that wildlife!

Catherine Russell September 26th, 2007 12:57 PM

Well, well, well Brian!

Impressive film. I think it's one of your best. I was moved by it. The music selection was a perfect choice. I thought the text and words and story had a great impact and were well done. The shear number of caribou were stunning, and it looks like you really were in the right place at the right time to get footage of so many Arctic wildlife.

Mat pointed out the issue with interlacing... but besides this, this was a very impressive entry indeed.

Enjoyed this!

Cat

Chris Barcellos September 26th, 2007 01:25 PM

Wow. Seems like you were just talking about thawing out, and now, we are talking winter again... Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.. Impressive array of animal life, and the feel that it give for how the animals prepare for the upcoming months.

John Dennis Robertson September 26th, 2007 02:12 PM

Hey Brian Im sure you had fun filming those animals.Im a big fan of sound and music in a video production.I never seem to get it quite right yet,but your choice for this clip just seemed to hit the right button for me,nice work

David Gemmell September 26th, 2007 04:49 PM

Hi Brian,
Wow, what an amazing part of the world - with such a diverse amount of wildlife.
I really liked the title and how it related to the changing seasons and the impact this would have on the animals. I liked the Artic Fox and Polar Bear - although the quality was down a little here compared to the reindeer footage (which was excellent). Actually, I think a film devoted to the reindeer would have worked well - using a tripod where possible. Then again, they look as if they would be hard to get close to?
It really is great to see the places where others live and to get some insight into the wildlife they see.
Thanks for sharing this with us Brian.

Ruth Happel September 27th, 2007 10:16 AM

It looks as if your wait for warmer weather was rewarded. After so many videos of the frozen world from you in previous challenges, now there is an explosion of life. Of course, now they are all getting ready for winter.... again. But at least for this brief summer season, you have an amazing assortment of wildlife.

It looked as if you were very close to the polar bear, amazing. And the way you slowly moved from soon to now was very effective. I loved the audio- the music was wonderful, and the inherent natural sounds in the music also really great.

I guess by the time you get home, it will be back to winter!

Ruth

Geir Inge September 27th, 2007 02:08 PM

Hi Brian, great film, so far your best :)
Well, my two daughters have downloaded the films for me and I've got to watch 2 of them, yours and Per Johans. I will try to watch some more tomorrow and in this weekend.

I always watch Gabriels film first, this round he’s swimming with the sharks so I picked yours to be the first, maybe because we live almost on the same latitude :)
I love the way you’ve put together this piece and my favourite is the polar fox, there’s so few of them left. In Norway we call’em The Blue Fox, also liked the swimming polar bear and the carabous.
I would have used narration instead of text though, but maybe the lyrics would work better on a larger version of the film?
Finaly: great choice of MUSIC, I loved it and it just fit your film perfect!
Reminds me a bit of our Sami music. In fact it make me feel, “I want to watch the film again”.

Best of luck!
Geir Inge

Gordon Hoffman September 28th, 2007 07:23 AM

Brian I have to agree this is your best one so far. The music was a good choice. I’m not usually a fan of on screen text but I liked it on yours. Good job.

Per Johan Naesje September 29th, 2007 02:19 AM

Brian,
loved this entry so much... ...the polar bear and the arctic fox... ...this is mammals of my taste!
Some technical issues have been mention by the others which I second. But my overall impression is that this is not "everyday" footage you are presenting here Brian and you did it in a very good way, keep up your good work!

Brian McKay October 24th, 2007 01:14 PM

Hello All:

We finally made it back from holidays, had a great time kicking around eastern Europe. We put on a ton of miles and took untold numbers of pictures...no video not much room in the backpack for anything other than clothes LOL.

Over the next short while I'll view each of the films for #5 as I prepare for #6.

Thanks everyone for the comments on "SOON" it was fun to make and I appreciate the constructive comments I'll take each of them into consideration on the next outing.

Thanks Brian

Dale Guthormsen October 25th, 2007 08:58 AM

Brian,

I went back and rewatched you video. I definitely feel it is your best to date.
Were i to do anything to it i would have lightened the seal slightly and i would have kept the direction of the caribou all moving in the same direction (to the left if i recall).

Truly some totally cool footage to be certain.

looking forward to your next entry!!!