UWOL #5 "2 minutes 2 sunrise" by Markus Nord at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old September 25th, 2007, 12:44 PM   #1
Major Player

UWOL #5 "2 minutes 2 sunrise" by Markus Nord

Ok… first, I am so sorry! This is a really cheese film and I did not put in much time at all. Please be gentle…

I tried to make a film about the last two minutes before sun is rising over the horizon. It is not much about mammals but it is a few shots with a deer (and some mammals driving the vessel). This is my first wildlife film filmed just over land. During this production I realized my lack of long distance lenses.
Any way… I hope you enjoy my few minutes before sunrise.

Markus Nord
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 07:49 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Markus, the sunset is always an interesting scene to capture, and I think you did well.
One detail: I think you held the clip of the deer at the end of your film a little bit long. Wouldn't hurt if you shortened that one a bit.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 08:03 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks...
I totally agree with you… The problem was that I didn’t got any different shots to cut to, and my lack of long distance lens made it hard for me to get some close ups to cut to.
Old September 26th, 2007, 08:22 AM   #4
Trustee

Hi Markus

Ok I read your lead in so I know you've struggled but well done for not becoming shark food fella !:-) Your film seemed quite un-balanced in its approach, lacking real structure. It seemed to have a huge intro with little 'meat' in the middle. Your sunrise shots where beautiful but before that the gain you needed for the exposure was very obvious. I can see you were lacking some reach too....that is frustrating when coming from your wide angle UW work I bet.

Welcome to the world of topside shooting Markus....good start!

Mat
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #5
Major Player

Mat… I want back in the water… that is no fun up here. I yes, I was no “meat” in the middle ‘cause I did not got enough time (or didn’t put in more time) to get shot that really worked. I’m pleased with my sunrise shots, but as you say, lack of light, to much gain, not enough time…

Thanks for watching…
Old September 26th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #6
Trustee

Hi Markus:

Full apologies here! I'm trying to view your film and my systems are having trouble with mpg.... my problem not yours! I'm still working on it.

Without even seeing it and reading your forward... it sounds like you did a good job getting something in and avoiding the tank. Way to go!

I'll be back when I can view your film.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #7
Major Player

I guess its the same "problem" as last time. You need to download .mpg files. Right click and "save target as". I think that it is a problem with QT player.
Old September 26th, 2007, 01:13 PM   #8
Trustee

I will try this! Thanks,

Cat
Old September 26th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #9
Trustee

Hi Markus:

Okay, I get it... I've found a way to review this. I apologize. When I get the time this week I'll go back and look at your previous entry too.

By reading your comments, I was actually expecting a lot worse. You were able to set the mood in this clip and draw us in with your footage. We are anticipating something and that's a good start to any film.

It is simply a matter of having more time and more material. As you and Mat have talked about, it was lacking "meat" in the middle. The deer footage added to the feeling of a pre-dawn experience, but it needed other supplements to round it out. Not that you didn't know this already.

So, solid camera work, nice the way you put the music in at the very end and good choice with it, and nice sunrise to finish it off. Next time just give yourself more time to round it out and give us something to chew on!

Cat
Old September 26th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #10
Major Player

Hi Markus
Im sure this was just a "Keep you out the shark tank video :-) " was a bit short of mammals but showed your talent for getting some great video shots anyway.I must say that at that time of the morning the sky is a wonderfull sight no matter where in the world you are.
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I'm fighting the same reach problem, using the FX1 (12x) and the HV20 (10x)--- I think I got those right. What are you shooting ?

That and low light cause some image issues, and lack of a lot of mammal footage left me looking for something I may have missed.
Old September 26th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #12
Major Player

Hi Markus,

Yes, certainly agree with the meat in the middle comments however, I would like to focus on your ending - which had some of the nicest footage I have seen in a while. The shots at 2:12, 2:16 and 2:23 were the real money shots.
You can certanly capture some stunning shots, and to be able to "see these shots" is a real art. I truly believe light is one of the secrets to good video (as in still photography), and you really captured this beautifully.

Given the difficulty in capturing the mammal shots, I would have focused on the shots you managed to get at the beginning and end of the day (with a bit more variety) - with the theme of the elusive deer, or something similar. Shots of deer tracks, "rubbing trees", etc filled with forest sounds and beautiful scenery to mix it up a bit.

I think with some structure, your future UWOL entries will be right up there!
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 12:51 AM   #13
Trustee

Hi Markus,
I'm a bit late in my response. Second what have been said by the others.
You got a very good eye for composing your scenes. Some of the opening and closing shoots was just stunning!
Glad you made it and not the swim in the tank
Old September 27th, 2007, 01:05 AM   #14
Major Player

Thanks…

Catherine: As you say, it is just about time. I’ve been so busy during September so it’s been a lack of time for me. I am more secure of filming near water than on land, I always prefer getting wet during my filming :).
I like that music and I thought that it would be a nice ending and just keep the original sound on everything else.

John Dennis: Yes, it was a “keep swimming film”. Sunrise is one of my favorite times on the day. During my time as a diveguide in SE Asia I spend some time on liveaboard, and we always woke up at the sunrise of open sea.

Chris: I’m filming with a XL2 (original lens x20). It is a nice lens, but at distance over 100 meters you need to switch to a 200-300 mm lens (I guess, I have never worked with one). The first deer was just 50 meter away but it was to dark, the second two was over 100 meter away but the light was good.

David: Thanks man, the ending shot come out really nice. I love the fog “dancing” on the water and with the redish sun rising colouring the fog. As a mention to Chris, if a hade a 200+mm lens I probably have got some close ups on the deer feeding and that could have been the structure I was lacking.

Per Johan: As long as it is close to water I make it… thanks for you words.

Next time I hope I can put in some more time and produce something special.
Old September 27th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #15
Major Player

Hi Markus,

I can't say much that hasn't been said. I agree with the positives and negatives. But to focus on the good, I really like the use of natural sound. And I also really liked the ending, with excellent composition and a wonderful capture of the magic dawn light. To fit with the mammals theme, it would be better to focus on the deer. Maybe the same film with half the length, so the deer could be a major focus, without any single shot of them too long in the video. Less can be more. But great job, some very evocative shots, and I like your concept of the world just before sunrise. Was it just me, or was minute spelled munites in the title?

Ruth
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge