UWOL #5 "Fall Frenzy" by Gordon Hoffman at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old September 25th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #1
Major Player

UWOL #5 "Fall Frenzy" by Gordon Hoffman

Well this time of year has got to be one of my favorite times. For once I had been able to shoot alot of footage. It was a challenge to put together as I didn't really have a plan until I started watching the footage. Anyway I had a great time on this one. The audio seems to have lost a little in compressing it.
Thanks to all who watch. Comments and suggestion always appreciated.
Here's a link.
http://www.uwolchallenge.com/challen...fallfrenzy.mov

Gordon Hoffman
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 01:24 AM   #2
Trustee

Wow, that was a top notch entry Gordon!

Nice to view some of my favorite mammals at your place. How did you manage to film those bears Gordon?

Your filming, editing and narrating was nicely done
Old September 26th, 2007, 06:50 AM   #3
Inner Circle

An interesting video you made, Gordon.
It is fascinating to see those animals fight.
Nice editing and voice over!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #4
Trustee

Gordon:

This is a film after Per's own heart! Very well done and spectacular footage. Not a critical mark to be found.

Very impressive Gordon.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 01:38 PM   #5
Major Player

Amazing video.How close did you get to those bears?Just amazing to see how strong they are,dragging his prey like it had no weight.Great to see you capture all of those wild animals on video.keep them comming.
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 01:45 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Gordon:

You witnessed and preserved some amazing footage. What were you using for gear ? Kept it pretty steady, even on what looked like real long lense shots ! Is this something you are able to witness every ear. Very impressed !!!
Old September 26th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #7
Trustee

oops, scratch this comment... wrong entry!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #8
Major Player

Well Gordon, you certainly have come up with something special here. This footage is absolutely amazing! Is this your backyard?

I assume these deer and bears are difficult to get close to - which really made me appreciate the shots you captured even more. I loved the bear shots at 0:29 and also the shot at 1:05. Also loved the ending, late in the day with the sound of the deer in the background.

The sound of the deer was terrific and so was your narration.

Excellent entry Gordon - I really enjoyed watching this - which I am just about to do again.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 03:31 AM   #9
Major Player

I love the “rewness” of this film, and the sound… WOW… Good job on the VO, I like in and also you voice. Some times you are following an animal and that you change back to the other without a cut, that is what I make it “amateur”. Don’t take me wrong, you film is superb, one of my top 4, but just those two clips make pull it sown for me. I would have chosen to cut between instead of a camera move.

Markus Nord
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 08:11 AM   #10
Major Player

Per Johan - Thanks alot. This challenge is what I like to do. All the wildlife shots where with a 150 to 500 lens and with the bears on the carcass I had a 1.6 on also. I was some what lucky with the grizzlies. It's not very often you get a carcass out where you can see it.

Trond - Thank you. I always make time for this time of year. That fight went on for over 12 minutes. Had to change tape in the middle of it.

Cat - Thanks much appreciated. Yes Per has really set the standards high for us. The theme for this one couldn't have been better for me.

John - Thanks. The bears were from about 60m to over 600m. This area can be hard to beat for wildlife opportunities. The wind is what gets most people.

Chris - The scenics were shot on a Sony HC3. The rest on an old XL1 with a 150 to 500 and a 1.6 on for the bears on the carcass. I picked up a used Cartoni Delta tripod this spring. It's heavey but makes a world of difference when you have a long lens on. The elk rut is in its' peak rite now. Black bears are usaully fairly visible if there is any berries. Grizzlies can be more hit and miss. Thanks.

David - Well the timing on this theme was perfect for me. I was out for six days and had some lucky breaks. I wish this was my back yard but it's close. About 30 minutes away. The elk during the rut are not to hard to work but do not let you get to close so the need for a long lens. If the bears are working a berry patch they can be more visible than other times of year. I have a Tascam HD-P2 for recording audio which I really like but it's another thing to pack around. Thanks alot.

Markus - No problem that's what this feed back is about. I agree with you (except on my voice). Originally I had did a straight cut back to the winner at the end of the elk fight but it just didn't work for me (with the shot I had) so I thought I would see what others would think. Thanks.

Thanks everyone. I got all the videos downloaded now so I'll start commenting tonight on them.

Gordon Hoffman
Old September 27th, 2007, 10:10 AM   #11
Major Player

Gordon,

I liked the way the narration really supported the footage, and made a seamless story. I also thought the natural sounds were excellent, and really made me feel as if I were there, very evocative. The ending was superb, also. All around, a very enjoyable film.

Ruth
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 02:23 PM   #12
Trustee

Gordon

What a step forward fella.....very nice peice of work, great improvement! You got some spectacular behaviour....probably more than anyone else this time around. Your premise was strong, you linked your sequences together in an informative way, while progressing your story....great stuff. Your VO was really nice too...nothing wrong there at all. Good solid film making!

Some of your camera movement could use work and pulled down the overall quality a bit and you seem to be struggling with compression, I'd certainly like to see a better quality version. I'd have like to have seen your sequences broken up a bit more. During the Bull rut (And what a fight) it would have been great to cut to a close up or some alternative shot or maybe have a piece of slow mo. This would add greater depth and interest to your sequences.

What a place you live in....very jealous indeed.

Mat

Last edited by Mat Thompson; September 28th, 2007 at 08:23 AM.
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 08:08 AM   #13
Major Player

Mat - Thanks I always appreciate your critique. I'm more than struggling with compression, what I have seems down right buggy.
With me I'm afraid there are alot of things that could use a little work. But I have fun, wish I had more time, newer camera ......
Old September 28th, 2007, 12:27 PM   #14
Trustee

Hi Gordon.
What can I say other then WOW!
Well I haven't seen all of the films yet but this one just blew me right over.
You've got it all in just 2 1/2 min.
I had a bit difficult though to hear each word in your VO, but after some rounds I get it. Maybe thats to do with me not understanding english that good, and I'm getting older too :)
Your opening sequence is great with beautiful scenary and so are the rest of your film.
The fighting scene, the roar from the wild, the bears and finally comes death. It's wildlife, it's nature and that's the way life goes on every day.
You've got a storyline and most of all you've put mammals into uwol just the way I want to do it. How I wish it was my film.
I haven't touched your editing skills or way of putting clips together but what the heck ( sorry folks) this is my kind of wildlife film and it's just great.

Thank you for sharing and best wishes.
Geir Inge
Old October 1st, 2007, 08:54 AM   #15
Major Player

Ruth - Thanks. This time of year I try to make time for getting out and this theme was right up my alley. The weather was even pretty decent for getting audio.

Geir Inge - I don't have the cleanest sounding voice so it's not just you. When it comes to wildlife videos I enjoy the natural history ones. Fortunately I had time to get out this time and some good luck along the way (got some of your rain and even a little snow too). Thanks and all the best.

Gordon Hoffman
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge