DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL#5 "Deadly Animals" by Andrew Hood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/104413-uwol-5-deadly-animals-andrew-hood.html)

Andrew Hood September 26th, 2007 08:44 AM

UWOL#5 "Deadly Animals" by Andrew Hood

Wow, I actually got filming done more than a week before this thing was due. But editing came late, and then encoding issues made the quality really bad. Grainy and the sound is terrible.

So I recommend downloading the better version (~20MB):
http://www.tailored-video.com/films/uwol5.htm

It's totally tongue in cheek, Kangaroos (Some are wallabies - the midget looking ones) usually keep their distance. These ones were in a park, and fairly tame. But still a little shy. Took a while to find the kangaroo sign used, loads of Koala and Wombat signs around, but not many roo ones.

Hope you get a laugh out of it anyway.

Mat Thompson September 26th, 2007 08:57 AM

Comedy comes to uwol :-) ! I have to say at first I was like...uhhhhh what the.... ! Then when you got me into the swing of things I just wondered where you were going to take this next. That said I really liked some of your shots although the editing of them seemed a little haphazard in places. Certainly a fun take on a uwol entry and thats positive in my book. Your audio seemed to suffer a lot with the compression although you did have another 20mb's to play with.

Not sure about kanga banga's though....hhmmm!

Trond Saetre September 26th, 2007 09:10 AM

That's it, I have to go to Australia! Those animals are just amazing.
Thank you very much for sharing.
I really like how you made it, the editing, narration... and the list goes on.
Well done!!

Kristina Bock September 26th, 2007 09:35 AM

'Kanga Bangas' do exist. It's kind of sad, but kangaroos are culled in Australia due to overpopulation near water supplies, and farms. there is a limit, though, not everyone can just go and hunt a kangaroo. It's a really restricted permit.

As Andrew said, the film was really tongue-in-cheek, because the kangaroos are really gentle, and we rarely see them in the wild. We found it amusing how some tv shows sensationalise the normal behaviour of wild animals. And Kangaroos were our choice because they are a stereotyped Aussie animal. They're really cute!

These were mostly Eastern Grey Kangaroos. The ones playing "dead" were Kangaroo Island Kangaroos and there were some Reds in there, but they can be a bit more protective sometimes, and they're much bigger! so we didn't get too close!

Mat Thompson September 26th, 2007 09:50 AM

Yeah I'm well aware they exsist, just not my cup of tea. Roo's are a personal fave and a bit of area of personal study for me...I guess I just don't want to see them as sausages....but I can see with strong populations some use of the meats is fine as long as its kept in check as you say.

Have you ever seen 'Faces in the mob' Kristina?

Catherine Russell September 26th, 2007 10:14 AM

Hi Andrew and Kristina:

Well! From what I could decipher from the audio it was hysterical! Very creative and fun. I'm in the camp with Mat though, that roo sausage was not my cup of tea and didn't need to be in there. But, this is a vegetarian speaking so take that with a grain of salt!

You guys, you had lots more file size to play with here.... take advantage of it! If I understood all of what you were saying I'm sure the humor impact would have been fabulous.

I really enjoyed the humor in this as it was and think it is the comedy that is the most difficult to pull off... so well done!

Cat

Chris Barcellos September 26th, 2007 01:16 PM

Loved the shots, and the fun "tongue-in-cheek" narration .... Interesting animals !!

David Gemmell September 26th, 2007 05:25 PM

Hi Andrew & Kristina,
I'm just in hysterics! What a great piece of fun filled entertainment.
Having filmed Kangaroos also, I can relate to your entry and the subject matter - particularly the wild and crazy plays on reality!
Agree with the others in terms of the audio, as it was difficult to pick up in some spots.
I can also understand why some viewers may be a bit sensitive to your ending however, I do understand that Kangaroos do exist in plague proportions in some areas, and a culling program is for their long term sustainability (or so they tell us).
I can tell you had a lot of fun filming this, and I certainly enjoyed watching it.
Well done.

John Dennis Robertson September 27th, 2007 01:53 AM

Well this was something different.Laughed like crazy.But even when I turn the sound off the video quality is still good.was a fun bit of work,Im sure you had a blast with it.

Markus Nord September 27th, 2007 02:55 AM

Fun… I hade a good laugh!
And I what to say that Roo’s are really good tasting, especially on bbq. But in a wildlife forum that may be inappropriate to say… I don’t know.
About the film… first I thought that you were serious (Roo’s are dangerous animals), but then I got the hang of it and enjoyed.

Markus Nord

Kristina Bock September 27th, 2007 08:08 AM

I tend to disagree with roo culling, mainly because it is our impact on the environment that causes them to overpopulate in certain areas.

I had the misfortune to witness a male roo being culled in my teens. it changed me forever.

I was worried someone might think we were serious!

Per Johan Naesje September 28th, 2007 05:30 AM

Definitively one of the funniest entries in this round :-) But as some of the others I have some problems with the sound.
Remember that the entry version is the one being watched by the judge, so try to take the adventage of the 60MB limit to get as good quality as possible.
I also like to view this version, primarily because not everyone put any enhanged version online, and this way is the most fair to compare the different entries.

Andrew Hood September 28th, 2007 10:01 AM

The problem I had with compression was running out of time before I had to upload. I kept falling asleep on consecutive nights before finishing the editing, so that got delayed. I tried different settings for export, but couldn't set a target size. And the only decent version was 90MB. Below 60MB there wasn't much difference in quality - lousy and next to lousy. The other version on my website is 21 MB and way better quality (Quicktime Sor3) once I figured out another program to convert it. Guess I know for next time.

Ruth Happel September 28th, 2007 11:29 AM

I liked the humor in this, the narration juxtaposed with the cute and cuddly images was fun. Like others, the audio was in spots hard to decipher, but I did hear it all, just wished the words hadn't been clipped off at the end. Still, a fun video to watch.

Ruth

Dale Guthormsen September 28th, 2007 11:56 AM

Goodday,

this was the first entry i watched. I had a great laugh and enjoyed your entry. Once you get your sorenson 3 settings down you will be much more pleased with your footage for the challenge!!
great storyline!!

Look forward to future entries of other cool creatures.