STILL in free T-shirt Contention... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old October 2nd, 2007, 09:57 AM   #16
Wrangler

well, we would not want to finish out our first year on a boring note, would we? no, of course we wouldn't!!

what makes our Challenge so enjoyable to me is all you wonderful people out there. the participants who have played our game and the people who have stepped up to support it have such a generosity of spirit.

trond, the Challenge will always be free. i appreciate you thinking about helping us out. i did receive a generous, unsolicited, anonymous donation from one of our players which helped mitigate some of the expenses. we are working on getting the right systems in place so that we can get the expenses covered next time, but this will take some time. if anyone wants to make a donation to help keep us afloat until we can get things aligned, feel free to e-mail me. that is entirely voluntary and without pressure on our end--we won't request donations. we just have some more work to do in that area.

one thing that we will be doing is taking a brief break at the end of Year 1--we started this last January and the first Challenge of Year 2 will not begin until February of next year--this will give players a chance to shoot outdoors in the off-months that they shot this year. in other words, you'll be shooting February, April, June, August, October, and December. so you'll be able to hit different seasons and different moods of the planet than you did this year. the extra month away will also give me and kevin and mat a chance to integrate some new features into the game and find additional support. we have a plan in progress.

our game has come a long way in a short time. we still have some work to do, but we'll get there. your volunteer team is highly committed to making this the best experience that it can be. it is almost like a 2nd business to me now, because to safeguard its future, i will have to treat it that way, more than i have to date. it started as a hobby--a labor of love, but now it has grown into an established entity with expectations placed on it. we plan to set the bar just a wee bit higher for ourselves, so that we can do more for all of you. and for our current and future sponsors!

i love geir's idea of having a release night with friends and family popcorn. that's genius!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 11:03 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
one thing that we will be doing is taking a brief break at the end of Year 1--we started this last January and the first Challenge of Year 2 will not begin until February of next year--this will give players a chance to shoot outdoors in the off-months that they shot this year. in other words, you'll be shooting February, April, June, August, October, and December. so you'll be able to hit different seasons and different moods of the planet than you did this year....
Meryem, that's cool, you just hit the nail with this one! You see, I'm going to two real good wildlife locations February and April next year (both planed and ordered months ago) and they are both within the open challenge-window, I'm so happy and enthusiastic about this now!!!

I second what my good friends are telling in this thread, you can count me in for the next challenge, the next season and for years to come! This has become a part of me and I think the timing for this challenge was very well when I read what others commenting in this thread.

It's also nice to see how this challenge has spread out on our entire globe, I think we are just missing Asia for a participant from all continents?

I'm very anxious about the next theme in November however, at least here in Norway we are in the most dark season of the year. Wildlife is very spare, much rain and fog, be nice Meryem...
Old October 2nd, 2007, 11:06 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Johan Naesje View Post
I'm very anxious about the next theme in November, at least here in Norway we are in the most dark season of the year. Wildlife is very spare, much rain and fog, be nice Meryem...
But Per Johan, that is exactly why it is called a Challenge!
And Meryem really knows how to make it a challenging Challenge too.
I can't wait.

PS, Meryem, I sent you an email.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 02:47 PM   #19
Wrangler

i think per could really use an edge in our contest! glad it worked out well for you...as for the rest of you, he's ready to win another, prepare yourselves. per, raise the bar for these folks!
Old October 3rd, 2007, 11:06 AM   #20
Trustee

Hi Per, Trond and Geir:

Reading your posts, it has dawned on me that not only has your film-making improved and set the standard high.... your written English has too. I forget that you 3 are writing and narrating in a second language. You have always written well, but you write even better now!

How do you say (write) "hello!" and "good film!" in Norwegian? Got to start somewhere!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 11:23 AM   #21
Trustee

Hi Catherine.
I'm at work in my new job, night shift :)

write = skrive (pron. with a sound of double E and the last E like an half/start of an A)
hello = hei (pron. not like hi, more like hay)
good film = fin film (fin pron. with a sound like double E, film like you say it)

By the way, thank you for honor our english talking/writing :)

In my new job I have to speak english all the time because the "gang" I'm working together with are from different countries.
Irak, Russia, Polen, Sri Lanka, Etiopia, Liberia - just me from Norway :)

In Norway we begin our english teaching when we're about 8 years.
It starts with singing english songs, so maybe in my next canoe film I'll give it a try in english :)
Old October 3rd, 2007, 11:38 AM   #22
Trustee

Hei Geir:

Congratulations on your new job! It sounds very interesting! I'd like to hear more about what you do.

Thanks for the Norwegian lesson! Perhaps if I don't ever win a challenge I will at least pick up a little Norwegian ;-).

And that was a fun idea! How about a little of both, singing in Norwegian and a little in English too!

Now I need to learn "good bye"! I'll "shrive" soon.

Fin film! :)

Cat
Old October 3rd, 2007, 11:57 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Hi Catherine, nice to hear you think my, Geir's and Per's English has improved.

Like Geir, I have to speak English everyday at work.
(I work as an air traffic controller)

("good bye" = "hade bra")
You're learning fast ;)

Have a great day and evening everyone!
Old October 3rd, 2007, 12:11 PM   #24
Wrangler

it would be nice to hear how to say something like "nice film" in all the languages of all the players...we've got sweden, france, spain....and more!

and just what is that strange tongue that mat thompson speaks, anyway??? where's the subtitles?

blimey!
Old October 3rd, 2007, 12:14 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Ok, I'll start (or follow up Geir's lesson)

Good film in Norwegian: 1. god film, or 2. fin film. (both can be used, means the same). I would prefer to use "god film", which is pronounced about the same as in English.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 02:01 PM   #26
Trustee

Hei Trond:

Air traffic controller? My! Are we not all very interesting in our "other" talents and occupations?

Beste Hilsen

You are right! I'm learning fast ;-)

Hade Bra!

Cat
Old October 3rd, 2007, 02:08 PM   #27
Inner Circle

I see someone is doing her homework fast.
Will your next uwol entry be with Norwegian VO, Catherine?
That would have been the challenge of all challenges.
Oh nooo, now I gave Meryem a tip for themes... foreign languages for VO.
(I better think before I speak from now on, haha)
Old October 3rd, 2007, 02:21 PM   #28
Wrangler

it is lucky for you people that i am thinking up these things instead of trond. on the surface, he appears to be another one of those sweet, happy norwegians. ha! can i just say that foreign language VO is a far more heinous theme than i could have ever cooked up?
Old October 4th, 2007, 12:35 AM   #29
Major Player

Good film or nice Film in
ZULU: Kuhle bioscope
Afrikaans: Mooi film
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 01:20 AM   #30
Major Player

in Swedish:

good film: Bra film, pron. same as bra (the one for you bobs)(or the same as in Norwegian)
Hi: Hej (pron. same as Norwegian "hei")
Good bye: Hej då, pron. å like oh, but short.

Swedish and Norwegian are in text almost the same language, but in pronunciation Norwegian are a bit weird. ;)
Sweden and Norway got a long history together (and apart) many wars between the Scandinavian countries have been a common thing from the 800 AD to 1700 AD. Norway was a part of Sweden until 1844 - 1905 but the union separated. But still we always “fight” about stuff… or make jokes about each other.

Geir Inge likes to talk about the Viking era, and that is our mutual history. During the 1800 the Viking era was glorified and many known painters made huge paintings about this time. Unfortunate some things were not correct. I the last feedback thread about Geir Inges last film someone wrote about the horn on the sheep’s. The Vikings didn’t got horns on there helmets, it is just not effective if you are in a battle (you can’t swing you sword if you got big horns on you helmet). I admire Geir Inge for his passion for his history and the way hi brings this to al of us around the globe.

Geir Inge… I just remembered that I have forgot to write in you feedback thread… need to go..

Hej då, bye for now

Markus Nord
Markus Nord is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge