Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #6 - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old November 18th, 2007, 09:44 AM   #166
Trustee

Two new pics from last night

As stated before, last night was one of the darkest and foggiest this month, which already is the darkest month of the year at my place.

So, what can you do to take videos then? There are some lights and it's surprising when you combine fog and lights together as in these two samples:

Left: There is somebody out there - a good friend of mine, Anne-Kari and her two dogs, Várri and Rajio
Right: A meet in the dark - our King Olav V (died 1991) and his dog Troll was a real uwol'er, Rajo and Troll had a short meeting this night
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #6-somebodyoutthere.jpg   Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #6-meetindark.jpg  

Old November 18th, 2007, 09:51 AM   #167
Trustee

wow wow wow !!! Great images Per ! Looking forward to what your film has in store!
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 10:28 AM   #168
Major Player

Great Per Johann

I see her will becom allot of aha!! in this round.
It will be a great round I think.

VV

Old November 18th, 2007, 10:35 AM   #169
Wrangler

those are pretty sweet looking shots, per. yes, the fog is your friend, in the right quantities, it's a great diffuser. earth's own natural scrim. great colors.

i can't wait to get mine in the editor today and see what funky interesting stuff i can pull out of it....

in a previous round, i said that thing about "there's no bad footage, only bad editors"--well, i'm going to be eating a bit of that cooking as well. i can't wait!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 01:14 PM   #170
Major Player

Today or Never

Like others I'm sure, it's down to the wire for me. The footage is captured, rough cut (looks like polished crap) music is selected and the voice over is written so if I can have an extension to the number of hours in a day I may make it on time.....lets say 36 hours = one day that should just about do it.

I was reading where people were talking about the cold and wind so I thought I'd throw up this frame grab.....not dressed for style, and look at the camera strap it's 90 degrees to the camera will give you some idea of the wind.

When this was shot it was -40 C and -40 F the cross over point.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #6-windynight.jpg  
Brian McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #171
Major Player

Per,

Beautiful images!

You are very lucky to have these foggy nights - they can create a lot of different moods.

Can't wait to see your entry.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 09:11 AM   #172
Trustee

Deadline for uwol6 is just around the corner and of caurse the weather will be changing at the same time.
Heres the forecast for tonight and tomorrow and I've just uploaded my video.
This is Aurora weather folks.

Geir Inge
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #6-weather.jpg  
Old November 19th, 2007, 10:31 AM   #173
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir Inge View Post
This is Aurora weather folks.
If that happens and you have some time,
try to get it on tape for the rest of us.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 09:33 PM   #174
Trustee

Hi Geir:

What makes your graph Aurora weather? I'd love to know!

And thanks so much! for the emailed picture of the 4 Vikings from your previous visit!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 10:06 PM   #175
Wrangler

ugh. edit till your eyeballs bleed.

mine's done. i just compressed it. 63 mb. nooooooooooooooooooooo!

back to work, squeezing those pixels till they scream for mercy.
Old November 19th, 2007, 10:10 PM   #176
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
ugh. edit till your eyeballs bleed.

mine's done. i just compressed it. 63 mb. nooooooooooooooooooooo!

back to work, squeezing those pixels till they scream for mercy.
I bet you know someone at UWOL that will let those 3 mbs. slide....
Old November 19th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #177
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
I bet you know someone at UWOL that will let those 3 mbs. slide....
heh. correct. but i'm in at 59.4 mb at 9:32 pm Colorado time...nice. hours to spare!

it always feels better when i play by the rules...
Old November 20th, 2007, 03:13 AM   #178
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Russell View Post
Hi Geir:

What makes your graph Aurora weather? I'd love to know!

And thanks so much! for the emailed picture of the 4 Vikings from your previous visit!

Cat
Hi Catherine.
I said so because it's cold,the right time of year and a clear sky :)
It most often occur under these conditions.

Here's some facts about Aurora (Aurora is a female name in Norway):
Auroras (or aurorae) [snglr.: aurora] are natural colored light displays, which are usually observed in the night sky, particularly in the polar zone. Some scientists therefore call them "polar auroras" (or "aurorae polaris").

In northern latitudes, it is known as the aurora borealis, named after the Roman goddess of the dawn, Aurora, and the Greek name for north wind, Boreas. It often appears as a greenish glow (or sometimes a faint red), as if the sun were rising from an unusual direction. The aurora borealis is also called the northern lights, as it is only visible in the North sky from the Northern Hemisphere. The aurora borealis most often occurs from September to October and from March to April.

Auroras are produced by the collision of charged particles, mostly electrons but also protons and heavier particles, from the magnetosphere, with atoms and molecules of the Earth's upper atmosphere (at altitudes above 80 km). The particles have energies from 1 - 100 keV. Most originate from the sun and arrive at the vicinity of earth in the relatively low energy solar wind. When the trapped magnetic field of the solar wind is favourably oriented (principally southwards) it reconnects with that of the earth and solar particles then enter the magnetosphere and are swept to the magnetotail. Further magnetic reconnection accelerates the particles towards earth.

The collisions in the atmosphere electronically excite atoms and molecules in the upper atmosphere. The excitation energy can be lost by light emission or collisions. Most aurorae are green and red emission from atomic oxygen. Molecular nitrogen and nitrogen ions produce some low level red and very high blue/violet aurorae.

PS
I didn't see it last night though, but maybe tonight - you'll never no :)

Regards
Geir Inge
Old November 20th, 2007, 03:38 AM   #179
Major Player

Hi Brian,

Just checked out your photo. Gee it really is a different world you live in - I don't know why I compalin about shooting conditions sometimes. Maybe I should just remind myself of what you have to put up with.

Good to see you got your entry uploaded. I'm sure the footage won't be as bad as you described.

Stay warm...
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 03:45 AM   #180
Trustee

I'm born in the northern part of our country and in my childhood the Northern Light as we used to call it was very common, especially in wintertime.
There was not so much light sources in my neighbourhood those days, so the Northern Light was very visible in the sky at nighttime.

A small lake was frozen and we, the kids used this as a playground during wintertime, for skating, hockey etc. and I remember in those magical moments when the Nordic Light was lighting up the sky we often lay down on the ice and was staring in the sky for those amazing patterns above us.
A rumor said that once in the time the light had come down and lifted away a small kid who had diseapperad in the darkness... ...everytime I was laying and staring at the light, this was on my mind, I was almost everytime afraid of this, but the light was so facinating to look at, kind of hypnotic, that I was still laying there.

...oh that was magical times... ...back to work now ;-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge