Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #6 - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old November 11th, 2007, 06:57 AM   #106
Trustee

It's looking suspiciously like I'll be there with you fighting off those sharks David. Sorry to hear about your Sister.
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 10:09 AM   #107
Trustee

David,

Hope your sister is doing well. There's nothing more important than family.

Mat,

Hope everything comes through for you so you can keep from getting your feet wet!

I laid down the music for yet another idea last night. Have about 10 seconds of footage so far. Still need allot of stuff to fall into place to keep me out of the thank as well.
Old November 11th, 2007, 01:24 PM   #108
Major Player

Hi Mat & Kevin,

Thanks for your caring words. Yes a bit of a shock - a heart attack at age 43!

Anyway, she got through it and has her operation today. Things could have been worse I guess.

Hang in there Mat. Still some time for a seasoned player like yourself to come through with the goods. Good luck to you too Kevin - we haven't seen your magic for a while!
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #109
Trustee

David, No age is right or good for that. But the fact that she made it through and then had surgery is a good sign as I read it.

Best wishes for a speedy and successful recovery for her.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #110
Trustee

Woah....that is tough going David, but I'm glad to hear she's doing well fella.

Well I've officially been let down by my collaborator today after over a week of emails...wish I hadn't bothered as its just put me off really. I have another plan now, funny little idea but fun if it works.....if not its the sharks for me.....gulp!
Old November 11th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #111
Trustee

Sorry to hear about your sister David. Best wishes that she will recover 100%.

Just a little report from the west coast.
I always start very enthusiastic about this uwol challenge. But it seems I have to struggle against the weather conditions each time.
Maybe I'll move to Florida, Steven said something about nice weather.
For now it's just been heavy rain and we've had our first winter storm.
I have to change my plan, maybe I'll use my original idea next year.
Did some shoting yesterday though in between some heavy rainstorms and even some shots on board a ferry. Got no pictures to show though and I'm not sure it was all that good shooting either.
Just have to keep on digging for something overwhelming, you'll never know when to hit a great shot :)

Geir Inge
Old November 11th, 2007, 11:00 PM   #112
Wrangler

Best wishes to your sister, David...your post inspired a long-overdue phone call to my brother. Better not to take your people for granted....

My daughter and I lit a campfire tonight in our backyard chimenea...didn't shoot any of it, though. Sometimes you just have to let the marshmallows be marshmallows....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 12:27 AM   #113
Major Player

Thanks for all your lovely and caring thoughts.

Just had a call and the operation was a great success. My sister is really excited/positive about the future.

The UWOL Community really does have the loveliest people.

My boys and I have just started to clean the swimming pool and I hear a few frogs (somewhere). Maybe I can capture something tonight and get a last minute entry in.

All the best.....to the best
Old November 12th, 2007, 02:22 AM   #114
Trustee

That's great to hear the operation your sister had was a success David, i wish her a speedy recovery.
That's also great to hear that you may well be able to stay out of the shark tank. I'm a big fan of your work, & would miss not seeing an entry of yours this time around!
Best of luck with the frogs,
Bryce
Bryce Comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 02:32 AM   #115
Major Player

David, good to hear that your sister is getting better. To bad about your camping trip, maybe the frog will do it for you, or maybe head out to a creek and se if a Platypus are swimming by (Please, make a Platypus video… please…)

My dive last week didn’t go so well. Next time I maybe change the battery in the monitor before they run out! (DUMB ASS!!!) And the on land filming didn’t record any sound, so I need to do everything one more time (I hope my friend still got some time of a night for a new night dive.). Un till then… cheers from Sweden

Markus Nord
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 02:53 AM   #116
Major Player

Thanks Bryce & Markus,

Lovely to hear from you both.

Well I'm just loading the preset (LOWLITE I think Per called it) into the XL H1 and my boys are busy sneaking up on some early croakers (it's still light here). Part of the plan is to at least capture one frog - but I am not sure. Sneaky little things these pool frogs. My wife is also getting ready with the torches (taping them to some light stands). So it's a real family affair - which is great.

Thanks Per for the preset and also the link which gives some low light hints. Your a great help - as always.

Markus, it sounds like your having a few challenging times getting your entry together. Hang in there and good luck to you too Bryce. I am really looking forward to seeing how you both manage this challenging theme.

Oops, better get going, I think the boys have a frog cornered!
Old November 12th, 2007, 06:07 AM   #117
Trustee

David,

Great news about your sister!

Make sure you take some time now for you!

My father had a heart attack and bypass surgery several years back and I can tell you, it takes a toll on the family as well with all the stress that's involved.

Maybe some night filming is just what the doctor would order for you! :)
Old November 12th, 2007, 07:14 AM   #118
Trustee

By the sounds of it its already becoming a family event :-), which is great. Shows just how many people this thing called uwol is effecting!
Old November 12th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #119
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Nord View Post
My dive last week didn’t go so well. Next time I maybe change the battery in the monitor before they run out! (DUMB ASS!!!)
oh my gosh, you ran out of batteries, markus?? that's never happened to me!

i've never ever ever:

forgot the tripod plate
thought i was pushing "stop" when i was pushing "start" or vice-versa
run out of batteries
forgot the batteries altogether
brought the wrong batteries
run out of fuses for my light kit

fortunately, none of these things ever happen to me, and every shoot is a fabulous success, entirely free of stupid moves...

hm, i must be talking about some OTHER video producer!

lotsa "woe" in this business/hobby...the other night, yes night, there was a fox in my front yard, and he was practically striking a pose for me in the porch light. did i even have camera in my house? no not a one! i have four cameras in my arsenal, and they were all at work.

sometimes the magical encounters with wildlife just have to be magical encounters with wildlife.

sometimes i think shooting video is more like fishing than any other activity--there are always the ones that got away.....

david, we are all glad to hear things are going well for your sister.

since i am a 43-year old younger sister to an older bro myself, i'm very glad! strikes a nerve here...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 09:41 AM   #120
Inner Circle

A fox in your back yard, Meryem, and you didn't even have one camera?
That's bad luck. "The fox on a hunting mission at night". Would have been a cool video.
I haven't left the house without my camera the last week. Can't miss that one opportunity, which usually happens when you don't have a camera.
(Of course that didn't show up since I had the camera with me).
I even bring my video gear to work, haha.

David, all the best for your sister.
Hope she recovers well and soon.

And to everyone, GOOD LUCK!
This is the toughest theme I have ever experienced. No wonder it is called a challenge.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge