DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL#6 "From Dusk to Dawn" by Geir Inge B. Brekke (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/108403-uwol-6-dusk-dawn-geir-inge-b-brekke.html)

Geir Inge November 20th, 2007 11:57 AM

UWOL#6 "From Dusk to Dawn" by Geir Inge B. Brekke

“From Dusk to Dawn”, is a little journey through the night.

I’m using shots from two nights, one with heavy rain (on board the ferry) and one night with clear sky (the only one in this period). The last shot is taken on my way home from work, just as the sun arise and reach the mountains.
The night scene is from the harbour in a little village called Fosnavaag, close to Runde.

I welcome your feedback very much on this one, as it is my first attempt to film at night.

Geir Inge

Catherine Russell November 20th, 2007 01:44 PM

Hi Geir:

Your filming skills follow you wherever you go! This was beautifully done and a bit of a surprise knowing the difficulties the Norwegians had with the weather, and then with you working so many long hours on top of all of that! Lots of eye candy in your film with beautiful sunsets, sunrises, water shots ...

A very good effort in difficult conditions and without cooperating circumstances. Nice job Geir!

Cat

Meryem Ersoz November 20th, 2007 04:34 PM

well, it's stunning. gorgeous, really. it lacks a center, which i have come to expect from your work, because you are such an awesome storyteller. i find myself wishing you had done more work with shooting the boat, telling the captain's story, adding more detail to the whole ship theme. or something along those lines--i really liked the shots of the boats all lit up and the pier, those were some of my favorites and were a really original way to approach the theme. some of the landscapes and moon shots, while beautiful and well-executed, almost diffuse the energy of the piece, which seems located most strongly in the boat images.

it's almost like you shot a beatiful landscapes piece with some boat imagery, and should have shot a beautiful boat piece with some landscapes instead, to shift the emphasis and give it more focus, does this make sense?

i love the opening shot with the bird diving into the water, nice job tracking that bird. which is not easy to do. that's a great pan, nice and smooth with no bounce.

you have developed some amazing skills in the past year. did i mention amazing??

Ruth Happel November 20th, 2007 05:08 PM

Geir,

I liked the film, and the scenic vistas you shot made me wish I could go visit that part of the world. You had such great composition with the sunrises, sunsets, and landscapes- very appealing-as if watching a slide show of beautiful nature imagery.

As Meryem noted, it would also have been nice to possibly develop more of a story around the boats. I missed your narration! But I can understand the difficulties of filming in the dark, plus sounds like you had bad weather, so I know why you didn't pursue that more.

The video really worked for me on the level of how your own personal journey to and from work must go- the beauty and inspiration of nature at both ends of your day, with the bustle of a ferry ride and work in between. You captured very well the soaring beauty of the wild world, and how it inspires you (and us all, through your footage). Thanks for sharing.

I also thought the musical piece you chose nicely complimented the footage.

Ruth

Brian McKay November 20th, 2007 06:40 PM

Geir what no narration...just kidding my friend. I loved this one nice slow pace loads of cuts and great composition. But then again what else would I expect from you...hell you've brought us wonderful images in all the UWOL Challenges to date.

I'll be back to watch this one more than once.

Brian

Vidar Vedaa November 21st, 2007 02:37 AM

hello Geir Inge

Realy nice film as olways.

VV

David Gemmell November 21st, 2007 03:20 AM

Hi Geir Inge,

Well now that I have stopped spinning on my computer chair and showing the kids how bad my moving to the beat is, I will give you some feedback (clearly I loved the music).

I enjoyed your entry very much, as I could just sit back, relax and join you on one of your night trips - a lovely experience. The wild weather and sheer wilderness feel seemed to work perfectly with the music. I also feel by not having a voice over, the viewer could apply there own interpretation, which for me, is the better option.

I would have stuck with the boat theme in the middle - particularly with that rough sea, as this would have added beautifully to the ruggedness that seems to be Norway.

This is certainly one of my favourites.

Well done Geir.

John Dennis Robertson November 21st, 2007 06:17 AM

Good work as ever my friend.
The opening shot with the rough sea ,wind a sea birds portray the kind of elements I have in my minds eye of Nordic places.When I think you only had 2 nights of filming I am more disapointed in myself for not submiting something
I always enjoy your work Geir Good luck in this challenge

Per Johan Naesje November 21st, 2007 05:45 PM

Hei Geir Inge,
lovely piece you managed to put together. It strange to view your place this time of year. My memories from a warm summer is still there when I was visiting you last summer, and in fact was sitting on the ferry you showed us in this film!
Your film technique is very good and you have developed well this year.

Good work!

Dale Guthormsen November 21st, 2007 06:04 PM

Geir,

As always you had some great scenery!! I liked the Ferry (That is what it is ??) I think you had a real nice cross-section of footage and I really liked the "Escapes type mood".

Nice job on the hardest uwol of the year.

Bryce Comer November 22nd, 2007 05:15 AM

Geir,
Well what a great soulful piece. I loved the transition from sunset to sunrise, & the imagery in between. I really loved the shots of the reflections from the house lights on the water. & perhaps my favourite part was the shot of the water with the red light from the sky reflecting on it then into the shot of the sunset over the mountain.
Great job,

Bryce

Geir Inge November 22nd, 2007 09:49 AM

Thank you very much for feedback/comments.

It's not what I planned in the beginning, but I had to find out a way to use those clips I had on tape, and it came to this. There wasn't time for more shooting in the night. I left out some, not very good clips of a deer and I tried to film onboard the boat and their cargo (alive salmon in tanks) but I ran out of time.

Dale: yes it's a ferry.

Again thank you for comments.

Now I have to put on my judging suit and make my 3 pick of choice ;)

Regards
Geir Inge

Trond Saetre November 22nd, 2007 04:41 PM

Hi Geir Inge,

Trude and I watched your film together, and we both agree you did a very good job.
Maybe a little more about the ferry would have been nice, but since it seems like we had the same crappy weather, I understand very well you didn't want to expose the camera too much to the wet element.

You had some very nice shots of the sunrise. Awesome nature you have there.

Thank you for sharing. We enjoyed watching the video very much.

Gordon Hoffman November 23rd, 2007 07:40 AM

Geir Inge
Like some of your earlier videos this is another relaxing look at your world and I like it.

Gordon Hoffman

Bob Safay November 23rd, 2007 06:57 PM

Geir. I liked it. Beautiful sunsets, and, I always like the way man-made objects such as the ferry and buildings look under strong white almost industrial lighting. Most people that live only during the day never really get to see the beauty of a city at night. I guess for me this comes from so many years of looking the city scapes at night. It told a full story, Duck to Dawn. Very well done. Bob