Thoughts on Judging, Some Extra Commentary, and...A Surprise! - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old November 30th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #46
Inner Circle

Well,

I finally have a moment to get on the computer again and find this amazing thread.

So diverse meryem's head must be spinning. After reading them all I almost do not want to add to the fodder.

I have participated as a means to force myself to do more than just shoot wildlife footage.

I found I have learned more from all than the participants and the threads than all of the videos and shooting I have done.

In this regard I feel that I am a huge winner.

I think a few of you i should send coaching fees to!!

I do think picking a winner is of value. I picked my personal top three in all the challenges and had picked the winner among them 5 of 6 times.

I will bet others did the same.

In this regard the dv challenge method would seem to have merit .

I do like the idea of an outsider every other challenge.

In the end, I think whatever meryem decides to go with will be just fine with me.

And i will even title them correctly next year!!!!

I bet your Pesos that meryem never knew just how much she took on when she bit off this job!!!!!
Old November 30th, 2007, 09:57 PM   #47
Trustee

Hi Dale:

Always glad to hear what you have to say. Thanks for adding to the fodder. I'm sure Meryem likes the input from everyone.

Here's to film-making in 2008.

Your friend,

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 12:02 AM   #48
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
I found I have learned more from all than the participants and the threads than all of the videos and shooting I have done.

In this regard I feel that I am a huge winner.
Same here, I have learned so much from everyone.
Dale, you, me and every other member of the uwol family, we are all winners!
Every single one of us have improved our video skills during this year.

A huge THANK YOU to Meryem, Mat and Kevin for all the work you do to run the coolest challenge on the planet!

your friend
Trond
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 10:38 AM   #49
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
I bet your Pesos that meryem never knew just how much she took on when she bit off this job!!!!!
you got that right, dale. of course, it is largely my own fault. i keep tinkering with the darn thing and coming up with new moving parts. but hey, it keeps sucking in new players from all corners of the world, and that could not be more exciting to me.

from a personal standpoint, I am especially happy to see Turkey represented. my Turkish dad, if he were still alive, would be pretty psyched to see Turkey in the game....I was raised, partly, by my Turkish ane, so it is awesome to me that the energy of the game sucked in a turk. baklava all around!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 12:17 PM   #50
Major Player

Well you certainly got me in Meryem - and as I'm in, I might as well add my bit to the pot.
If we accept the fact that this is a challenge and therefore it needs to be judged, then it would probably be a good idea to make sure that everyone is playing by the same rules - players and judge/s included to make it as objective as possible.
A good starting point would be some to lay out the judging parameters (Meryem’s for example) as well as the theme and mission - then everyone would know from the start what is expected of them.
I, personally, would also appreciate knowing up front when the theme is announced, where the judge’s emphasis is going to be when judging (eg on sound, light, story, technique) rather than try to second-guess this, because it would force me into thinking about and experimenting with another angle or skill that I would normally not consider.
I have really valued the comments made by the judges this year and appreciate the time that it took them to do that.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge