Uwol #6 Unfinished Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old December 1st, 2007, 04:55 AM   #1
New Boot

Uwol #6 Unfinished Video

Who would like to see an unfinished project for "night" theme? I wasn't able to finish it and therefore didn't submit the video. A sad story but hey I did have fun shooting it. For those who would like to see it anyway, I would appreciate your comments. My aim was to focus on super senses of two of night creatures, the cat and mouse. And the story is based on mouse side.

Youtube Link: (I am not sure how dark scenes and low quality will appear on youtube)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV3rAShvvy0
Old December 1st, 2007, 08:23 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Burak, I watched your film.

Didn't you use any sound? I didn't hear anything.
Your video would have improved with some audio.

I like that you got down to the animal's level when you filmed. Well done.
Great close ups. Loved those.
One thing you might want to practice is the panning. Some parts were a little jerky, and smooth panning will improve the quality of your films.

I'm looking forward to see more of your films!
Thanks for sharing.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 10:26 AM   #3
Wrangler

right on, turkey is in! i'm so excited. way to go on finishing. that's the whole idea, whether you make it into the actual game or not, to run those camera experiment and get out there....thanks for sharing it.

i really liked the shots of the cat emerging from the shadows.

if you could have found a way to drag just a little more light into your camera, this could have been really cool. were you just adding in-camera gain, or were you using an external light source at all? there are some shots which seem to have light at the edges, and i'm wondering what your source is.

i like the concept, which is original and creative, the ground-level shooting is great. love the close-up work. just needs more light and, as trond already mentions, a bit more stabilization would give it a more polished look. and audio!!

how much did you have to pay the mouse actor? he's quite good.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 10:43 AM   #4
New Boot

thanks for the comment Meryem and Trond. The light source is a headlight (4LEDS). I wanted it to appear natural-like so had used very little light. All the other lighting options made the object shine or made the scene day :) Yep A little more light would be great. The jerkiness is the problem and I seem to have it with the zoom in all the time whether it is macro or telephoto. I think I need some ballast on the tripod and yes some more practice.

And working with the animals is another thing.

Did I pay the mouse yes. I paid him nuts in cash. And she didn't seem very interested to show up though. That is a small box studio I built for the challenge. But the problem was with the cats, they are really difficult to work with. (tried 2 of them) And the idea of one cast trying hard to eat the other at home doesn't make it easier. I realised that youtube version is a bit darker actually with some loss in detail and on LCD it is even worse..Sound and narration will improve it I suppose..thanks again for comments
Old December 1st, 2007, 11:21 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burak Erginer View Post
But the problem was with the cats, they are really difficult to work with.
as a cat owner--strike that, i take it back--as someone who is enslaved by a cat master, i understand perfectly....except, from the cat's point of view, it is probably YOU who are really difficult to work with...you have to keep these things in their proper perspective.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 07:39 AM   #6
New Boot

Youtube

I have removed the video from youtube because of my bad rendering and youtube quality multiplication factor :( . Hopefully I'll put it back when I finish the video and find a better way to put it on the web. How about www.stage6.com ? has anyone tried putting divx there?

Last edited by Burak Erginer; December 2nd, 2007 at 07:47 AM. Reason: wrong link
Burak Erginer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 02:21 PM   #7
Wrangler

divx makes great looking video, but it requires that the viewer download the dedicated player (or at least it used to, not sure if they've amended that or not). people don't really love being forced to download more utilities...

i'm not sure if it will make the t-shirt we're designing--the design may already be too far advanced to modify--but can you give us a turkish translation of our contest slogan "our world, your vision"--that'd be great.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 02:49 AM   #8
New Boot

trans-lation

Quote:
a turkish translation of our contest slogan "our world, your vision"--that'd be great.

"bizim d(u)nyamız, sizin bakı(s)ınızdan " U in parenthesis is a special character like the german "u" with dots here is an example:

http://sad.org.tr/sahilkesif/images/...ss/gunluk_.jpg

"s" in parenthesis is a special character (read -/sh) with a comma attached to its bottom just like the "s" just like this one:

http://img131.imagevenue.com/loc24/t...ra_karsire.jpg

Last edited by Burak Erginer; December 3rd, 2007 at 02:55 AM. Reason: .
Burak Erginer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 09:59 AM   #9
Wrangler

..and i'm kind of imagining that we need some "i" without dots...am i right?

guess we need a turkish font...
Old December 3rd, 2007, 02:26 PM   #10
New Boot

fonts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
..and i'm kind of imagining that we need some "i" without dots...am i right?

guess we need a turkish font...
OOPS! That's right! I forgot them :) I can send you the fonts. Meryem Do you need a special font type?
Old December 3rd, 2007, 02:31 PM   #11
Wrangler

not me, directly, but mat thompson, our designer...check out the end of this thread, maybe you can follow those directions? or you can e-mail mat (his e-mail is posted at the end of the thread, i think, or click on his dvinfo profile). even if we can't get it in time for the shirt, it would be cool to get on our website, all the languages....

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=107768
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge