DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   Greatest Hits of Nature and Outdoors Video... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/112982-greatest-hits-nature-outdoors-video.html)

Meryem Ersoz January 23rd, 2008 01:39 PM

Greatest Hits of Nature and Outdoors Video...

I was watching Luc Besson's "Atlantis" last night (UW sea creature video) and had the idea that we should start a list here and collate it into a resource article for must-see UWOL videos. From all around the world!

Once we have a good list, we can ask players to write up some quick reviews.

I'll start:

Documentary:
GRASS

Experimental:
BARAKA

Wildlife:
MICROCOSMOS

Mat Thompson January 23rd, 2008 07:05 PM

Interesting....ok then!

All very highly recommended !

Life in the undergrowth (Series)

Faces in the mob (Film)

Congo (Series)

My Halcyon River (Film)

Geir Inge January 23rd, 2008 09:44 PM

Well I have to start with a Norwegian :)

1) Lars Monsen across Canada alone with his dogs (Canada pa tvers).
Almost lost his life over there.
Took him 3 years, here's a link to the Norwegian TV series: http://www1.nrk.no/nett-tv/klipp/66505

2) Sir David Attenborough's "Planet Earth".

3) Animal Planets "Meerkat Manor", it's just so very funny :)

Geir Inge

Markus Nord January 24th, 2008 02:48 AM

You probably already know of this one, but if you are interested in going UW this is “The One” to get inspired of… When I lose my inspiration I put this one on and I become a kid sitting in my sofa with big eyes and a big smile and thinking “One day I’m going to do that”.

The Blue Planet – Sir David Attenborough
(I think that this is The Best film/series that have ever been produced)

I'll come back with some more later...

Dave Robinson January 24th, 2008 03:53 AM

Sorry to be repetitive but for me it has to be "Planet Earth" and "Blue Planet" also "Shark Island" was pretty cool.

Rob Evans January 24th, 2008 04:25 AM

OK, bit of a curve ball here

"Ring of Bright Water" - it's a 60's film about a guy living in london who sees an otter in a pet shop, buys him and relocates to a shack next to the sea in the far NW of scotland. Inspired my love of otters,the beauty of the west coast scotland and to a certain extent filmmaking......

Ron Chant January 24th, 2008 05:54 AM

There are So Many, here are some that I have enjoyed.

Silent Roar: Searching for the Snow Leopard
Hugh Miles/Mitchell Kelley.

Puma: “Lion of the Andes”
Hugh Miles

Wildlife Specials: “Tiger” - BBC - Natural History Unit Producers: Hugh Miles/Mike Birkhead

“Kingdoom of the ice Bears”
Book, Huge Miles and Mike Salisbury

“My Halcyon River” Charlie Hamilton James…… Lovely Film a short sequence can be found on a BBC DVD “Great Wildlife Moments”.

Peter McMurdie January 24th, 2008 11:47 AM

Hi All,

That's such a difficult one, there are so so many cool wildlife films.

My favourite wildlife films are probably, 'On The Trail Of Tarka' (Charlie Hamilton James), 'Eagle Island' (Gordon Buchanan) & 'The Trials Of Life' - all for very different reasons.

Experimental & Concept - 'Koyaanisqatsi' just has to be mentioned as I'm sure it has inspired many wildlife filmmakers to look at the world differently.

Cheers
Pete

Benjamin Durin January 25th, 2008 03:28 AM

Le Peuple Migrateur is awesome

also known as
Winged Migration (Canada: English title) (festival title) (USA)
Nómadas del viento (Spain)
Nomaden der Lüfte (Germany)
Nomaden der Lüfte - Das Geheimnis der Zugvögel (Germany)
Popolo migratore, Il (Italy)
The Travelling Birds (International: English title)

More info at imdb

Vegard Paulsen January 31st, 2008 07:53 AM

Its a bit boring to repeat earlier posts, but these are worth it

My top favourites are
Planet Earth (on blu-ray it looks damn incredible)
Blue Planet
March of the penguins (and the making of)

The filming of the great white shark in the planet earth series when it jumps up to eat seals in 400frames pr sek looks totally crazy!
we love it

Victor Wilcox January 31st, 2008 12:06 PM

Another vote for Planet Earth (HD DVD). I can't get enough.

Jessica Blackwell February 9th, 2008 03:49 AM

The series that got me into wildlife filmmaking was absolutely Blue Planet. Phenomenal work. I'm waiting to see Planet Earth until I can see it in HD as it was meant to be seen, but I'm sure it will blow me away. Dolphins IMAX makes me cry, and it's silly at times, but seeing as though dolphins are my passion, it's certainly in my top 10 list. March of the Penguins obviously is excellent, and definitely responsible for bringing wildlife film back into the mainstream. I'm trying to track down a bunch more, so thanks for this list! It'll be a great place to start.

Bob Safay February 9th, 2008 04:28 PM

I have to go with an oldie from the 70's. The Helstrom Chronicals and also Winged Migration. Bob

Michael Wisniewski February 19th, 2008 08:21 AM

Here's a great one from the TED Conference that you can watch online.

David Gallo: Underwater astonishments

Per Johan Naesje February 19th, 2008 10:37 AM

As Meryem mention in her first thread, I will definitive vote for Microcosmos by Claude Nuridsany and Marie Perennou. I have this DVD in my library and it is a inspiration and source for ideas for me to watch it.
Even if I think as much as 90% of this film is shoot in a studio in a controlled area, it's amazing how they managed to get all those details in the film.

I'm going to do some more macrowork this year and when I study this film I got lots of ideas.
Maybe some of the themes in this year challenge will suit to make a microcosmos contribution!