UWOL #7 Random Discussion Thread! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old January 27th, 2008, 01:17 AM   #1
Major Player

UWOL #7 Random Discussion Thread!

I couldn't resist starting a thread, just to say....

WOW!

I didn't know I was going to be in competition against 500+ people. ;)

Is this more than average? It being my first I really don't know, but it seems like it! Seems this UWOL challenge is catching on! I can't wait to get started, I'm dying to know the subject.... *paces around the room for the next 5 days*

Carl
Old January 27th, 2008, 01:39 AM   #2
Major Player

I'm with you Carl. This'll be my first try at not only entering the challenge, but even creating such a project. By the end of the first page of responses/entrants I was thinking "this will be great." The second, "well maybe we'll shoot for mid pack." By the third, "oh lord I'm feeling the back of the bus."

Now that we're well beyond 3 pages I'm thinking I'd be happy just to wave to the bus as it speeds by
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 04:20 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Carl and Eric, and all the other new players, it's very nice to have you with us.
By entering the challenge, you become members of this awesome uwol family/friendship where everyone is treated with the same kindness, regardless of previous experience.
Stay with us, and I'm looking forward to watch your films. Will be nice to learn more about your parts of the world too.

Trond
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 08:40 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trond Saetre View Post
Will be nice to learn more about your parts of the world too.
The main native species of Florida is the "Retiree". This not-so-rare species is known for driving slow in the fast lane, not tipping at restaurants, and occasionally dying in public.

(Seriously, the statistic is sick - over 75% of people in the US who decide to move when they retire, move to Florida) =D
Old January 27th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Middleton View Post
The main native species of Florida is the "Retiree".
Hmm, maybe you can make a story of that in one of your future films.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 08:53 AM   #6
Major Player

If the theme fits, I might have to. =D Florida wildlife has been thoroughly featured in plenty of films, and the weather the last month has been depressingly "Bleh". That might be a story worth a shot. ;)
Old January 27th, 2008, 11:34 AM   #7
Wrangler

Hi Carl: I would not be put off by the number of people signing up. The first contest had 72 sign-ups, I believe, but posted 25 films...right in line with our average contest production (which is 24). And, when I last looked, we had 50 postings on the sign-up thread but some of that is idle chatter. Our largest turn-out was, (I think, this is all from memory), 32 films for WATER, smallest was 20 listings for NIGHT.

The UWOL team wants to grow this thing, because the more, the merrier. And it's fun to see these visions from all over the world clustered together and to get to know each other through our work and our chit-chat.

Plus, the nature of contests is that players come and go, although ours seems to be pretty sticky. Seeing new players join the fray keeps it fresh. If you look in our film vault, there are also many names of players who play one time and don't return...some of our finest films, in my opinion--not necessarily shared by our outside judges--, have been posted by one-time players like Paul Wags and Bradley Marlow. The UWOL effect is cumulative, made up of our regulars and one-time players alike, all over the world.

So I wouldn't worry about too many players, a) I'm really not seeing it, measured against last year and b) in every contest, there's always a mixture of those who sign-up and those who put up!

Some of our best shooters take the occasional swim!

I did promise theme that could be accomplished anywhere, any time in the world. An easy intro is another reason that I think we are seeing some new faces and names!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Middleton View Post
The main native species of Florida is the "Retiree".
I resemble that remark. While I have not retired, and the cost of this new house prevents me for doing so for almost another decade, Florida is the place to retire. I live in one of those Active Adult communities for 55+ folks. I like it. It's like living in a resort.

On the other hand, I still tip, drive fast enough to get speeding tickets, and will try to refrain from dying anywhere outside of my own bed, many years from now. ;-)
Old January 28th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #9
Major Player

As long as you still tip and drive anywheres NEAR speed limit, that's good enough for me.

Consider yourself a non-retiree. :D The actual act of no-longer-working, or age for that matter, has nothing to do with it. It's just really a matter of still trying to enjoy life, in my opinion. From what I've heard, you fit in that category! Look forward to seeing more of your stuff in this contest! I filmed down at Coronado Springs in Dec, had a blast :)

Got that gig off dvinfo, as a matter o' fact!

C

Last edited by Carl Middleton; January 28th, 2008 at 04:37 PM. Reason: clarification :)
Carl Middleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I think I can see why night was such an "inpopular" theme, in my oppinion its way too hard with ordinary videocamera's, if you want real night footage.
+ if you live in some far off village there is almost no light which makes it even harder. If you live in the city you have more succes with the theme but since its mostly a "nature" kinda thing (it seems to me) well that explains alot :o
Old January 28th, 2008, 06:37 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Good evening,

I is really great to see all the new comers to UWOL. It is a great bunch of people, fantastic learning experience, the feed back is gentle, truthful and encourging.

I enjoy seeing all the films from all over the world and have definitely seen things i never would have seen even on TV!!

I am recently retired and definitely not going to florida unless i get an invite down for something (just used to having almost no people around). Wouldn't mind hitting the everglades though.

can't wait to get started!!!

dale
Old January 28th, 2008, 08:32 PM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Geevels View Post
I think I can see why night was such an "inpopular" theme, in my oppinion its way too hard with ordinary videocamera's
i don't know...i think the folks who managed to post a NIGHT film learned more about their cameras than with any other Challenge. of course it was hard! that was the point! we don't call it a Challenge fer nuthin!

but don't worry, that was exceptionally challenging. i may do another hard theme but i'll probably hold off and do something like that every other year. plus, i'm going to announce it in advance that it's going to be hard, like an Advanced Round, for folks who don't mind pushing themselves...i just found it kind of irresistible.

i mean, you people always find a way to complain about the theme! i'm sure this round won't be any different...all part of the fun n games...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 08:58 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
i don't know...i think the folks who managed to post a NIGHT film learned more about their cameras than with any other Challenge. of course it was hard! that was the point! we don't call it a Challenge fer nuthin!
I really wish I'd gotten a shot at it. I found you guys DURING the challenge!

Doh! :)

C
Old January 28th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #14
Major Player

Meryem, don't hold back.

I have battled for years, in a completely different arena, against a vast range of competitors. Sometimes we've won by a mile, sometimes we've lost by a day. I learn the most from losing, or struggling, or even failing to make it to the checker at all.

This is why I am here, and this is why I have entered - to struggle and to learn.
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 04:46 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Gulbransen View Post
to struggle and to learn.
Then you have come to the right place. I think every one of us can/will/have learn from these challenges. I have learned a lot since I entered my first challenge a year ago.
And the struggling... that's what you have your uwol family/friends to help you with. :)
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge