Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #7 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 9th, 2008, 06:48 AM   #46
Major Player

Idea 1 scrapped, after about 12 hours of discussion with more intelligent people than I. Maybe another time. :\

Idea 2 brewing. =D
Old February 9th, 2008, 09:43 AM   #47
Trustee

Carl,
Was that the timelapse idea that's scrapped for now?
Sounded like quite an undertaking but also sound very, very interesting as well. Hope you're able to shoot it sometime in the future!

Good luck with Plan "B" !
Old February 9th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #48
Trustee

I find it interesting that if I leave my challenge film alone for a day, I find something I want to change when I take another look at it.

Normally I edit everything last minute and rush it in before the deadline.

This time around I'm actually almost done with the exception of a few more shots and the final shot which I won't be able to do until the day of the deadline if I can do it at all.

Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny which is what I need in case the day of my final shot is sunny. This way, I can cut in the final shot if it's cloudy or if it's sunny and it will match. Can't believe I actually thought of that. :)

Anyway, if it will upload, here's a still from the production so far. We were well on our way to getting 15 inches of snow and I had the wild places of Eastern Iowa to myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #7-snowleaf.jpg  
Old February 9th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #49
Trustee

My tale of woe. Last week my Canon XL-2 went to Canon in NJ for a fixing. If need be I will have to use a back up that I am unfamiliar with. Oh well. No one ever said these would be easy. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 04:42 PM   #50
Inner Circle

I'm still trying to come up with a story for my entry. I have a basic idea what I want to include, but still need to find a good location.
Hopefully I will be able to shoot it late next week.
Weather guys say no more rain, so that will help.
(It's allowed to be optimistic, right)
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 04:51 PM   #51
Major Player

Finally had a chance to get out the camera.....big fluffy snow flakes comin' down.....
By the time the camera was set up....snow had stopped....did get 6-7 minutes of a squirrel, up in a tree, laughin' at me...
Don't know what I'll do with it, but at least I got something....

Still thinkin'......
Old February 10th, 2008, 01:49 AM   #52
Major Player

I'm with you Bob. Spent seven hours shooting today. Got about two minutes thirty seconds of nice footage.

I said "Nice footage" though.... Not "Adventurous footage."

I had an idea going last week but it hit a dead end due to seasonal constraints. Plan "B" didn't produce much today. Working on plan "C" for tomorrow.

quick, what letter comes after C again?
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 06:25 AM   #53
New Boot

Still just a supporter...

Hello!

Yes, - i'm still just a supporter of you, the uwolers. Sorry I'm not in. In fact I'm rather OUT. Really out. Running with those dogs all the time. And, as you may be know already, - my supervisor, mentor and genius videofilmmaker Per Johan is IN the contest, but he is OUT and absent all the time... Making great shooting, of course! I think he will be back today, - he spoke something about "...the Eagle has landed..." did he mean the space vehicle?

Well, - I whish all of you good luck with your filming and editing. I think I will remain as an uwol-supporter. Following all your Tales of Wonder and Woe!
Old February 10th, 2008, 06:36 AM   #54
Wrangler

i'm going ADVENTURING tomorrow. or, later this morning, i guess, since my ADVENTURE is triggering my insomnia...

...i'm pretty excited. i've been kicking around five or six ideas, and this one finally landed. running UWOL gives me less time than i would like to develop my ideas! so i usually have to come up with something that i can do in a day or two, so i'll be shooting today and tomorrow. here it comes!

just hope the weather cooperates....keeping my fingers crossed, it has been a rather unfriendly winter this year.

and eric, just a word of advice, i wouldn't over-interpret the theme...we're quite loose around here, unless you're in it for the faaaaaabulous prizes. any day that you're out shooting interesting stuff in the world is an adventure.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 08:14 AM   #55
Trustee

Well, I haven't got anything on tape yet, but on wednesday I'll be heading for the mountains together with my family and I guess I have to shoot my adventure then. My first uwol film outside "my" territory. Just want to mention that on my way to work today. I discovered snowdrops in a garden. The spring is on it's way but my adventure will be a winter theme, say no more :)

Wish everyone good luck.

Geir Inge
Old February 10th, 2008, 08:37 AM   #56
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Railsback View Post
Carl,
Was that the timelapse idea that's scrapped for now?
Sounded like quite an undertaking but also sound very, very interesting as well. Hope you're able to shoot it sometime in the future!

Good luck with Plan "B" !
Aye, though it's definitely stuck in my mind. Darn huge undertaking that it would be. =D

Perhaps it would be more appropriate for a different UWOL, any which way. I have a feeling it'll get done one way or another. :D The technical details had me and the video guru I work with/for (with 20+ years in broadcast, and film) bouncing around going "Well WHAT if you!...." and trying to piece it together. We stopped and talked about this project for at least 12 hours over 5 days when I was sitting in front of FCP and supposed to be editing corporate stuff. =D Shoot me an e-mail and I'll tell ya what the subject was, as it's the main hurdle. Still don't want to spread it around, in case Meryem throws and appropriate theme for that next time. :) Gotta be a surprise! It's definitely a brain teaser though.

Plan B involves roughly 1 1/2 hrs of battery power, 1 Z1U, half a day of sunny skies and a steadicam that I am horrid with. There's my adventure - to try not to suck with a steadicam, in the middle of nowheres. We shall see. =D

C
Old February 10th, 2008, 09:56 AM   #57
Inner Circle

Good Morning,

Well, it is a scant -26 this morning and -40 out in the prairie air!! Uggg.

good news, Not as cold as Brian!!!!

I have assembled my 2:59s video. Burnt a rough and watched it on the big screen. I will haver to go back and reshoot a couple shots for sure.

I shot the entire sequence with my gl2 not the xl2.

I had composed some music, played it and then resynthesized it in audition. I was very pleased with it but found it doesn't fit the mood!!!

Ironicly, both my cameras need to go out for repairs after this one!!!

still some refining to do!!
Old February 10th, 2008, 10:00 AM   #58
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
Good Morning,

Well, it is a scant -26 this morning and -40 out in the prairie air!! Uggg.
OK...that makes me feel better :)

Yesterday it was 32º F when I was outside shooting....this morining -4º F....
No chance during the week as the sun is going down by the time I get home...
So maybe another chance next weekend, the 10 day says high 20s....
Old February 10th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #59
Trustee

We've got -6 temps here with a blowing and drifting snow advisory and a windchill warning but I'm going out in a bit anyway since it's actually sunny for the first time since the challenge started. :)

The forecast looks like more snow and dreary skies all week.
Old February 10th, 2008, 04:10 PM   #60
Wrangler

just got back from my first round of adventuring...pretty cool! i think i got some decent footy, very interesting and unique, i hope. another day of good weather and cooperative prairie wildlife and i should have it in the can and ready to edit. reliable weather, hm, that's asking for a lot lately!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge