Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #7 - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 15th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #106
Major Player

I just had to attach that image, even though it's got nothing to do with my video. For some reason this guy made me think of Per.

Something about big birds with strong talons and flesh ripping beaks will forever make me think of Per.

And if there IS a hidden birds of prey agenda here, I stand to lose my shirt. Any birds that I've captured recently wouldn't even pass as appetizers.
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #107
Wrangler

today's tale:

i need bird footage. badly.

so i went to the Place Where There Are Always Ducks.

no ducks.

then i went to the Place Where There Are Always Crows.

no crows.

finally, i went to the Place Where There Are Always Colorado Seagulls Freezing Their Tailfeathers Off.

FINALLY! Some footage. I hope it's enough. I doubt it's enough.

A bonus hawk showed up in my viewfinder.

Hope I can pull this off with what I got...if not, it will be back to the crow place....

BEST PART: My now 14-year-old shooting partner, Violet the Wonder Dog, had a great time, not too much arthritis trouble today...gorgeous day, amazing lighting. Not much footy, though, will have to load it up and see...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 03:48 PM   #108
Trustee

Oh well, I just burned out the firewire port on my Sony HDR-FX1 HDV camcorder. I can shoot, but not capture. I was trying out a loaner Matrox RT.X2 and got the connection backwards I believe.

This really sucks. It will be around $550 just to get it fixed. It was my own fault, but still. I have never had a problem with hot insertion before. I guess from now on the firewire cable remains connected to the PC.
Old February 15th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #109
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Thompson View Post

oh and is this a secret bird of prey round or something ? :-)
It's beginning to look that way! I don't have a bird of prey per se, but my film does feature a killer duck!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 06:49 PM   #110
Major Player

Three days snowed in with my grandsons and I'd build an igloo. But in my case It'll be high water.
Old February 15th, 2008, 06:58 PM   #111
Trustee

Reviewing the footage I got last weekend makes me realise what a bad camera operator I am. It was blowing a gale and I tried out the merlin for the first time (you get seasick watching it).

I threw most of that out and went back with a tripod and confirmed my previous assessment of my camera skills, still I never claimed to be an operator - just an actor.

I was going to jump in the shark tank but I thought .. no I should at least put an entry in, no matter how bad it is. I know.. I'll make it 4 minutes so it's too long (that was a particularly silly idea)

So I added some music and swapped it around a bit and realised it's not about the end result - it's the process. I actually got off my butt and went somewhere I've never been and did something I've never done and learned a lot.

There are actually a couple of snippets that have potential or that give me ideas for something else. I've got a huge amount to learn but I'm in there trying.

this is fun!
Old February 15th, 2008, 08:06 PM   #112
Inner Circle

Paul,

The day you quit learning is the day you quit improving!!!

I learned so much last year it is a joke!!!

and, you are right it is about the process!!!!!!!!

Look forward to seeing you effort!!!
Old February 16th, 2008, 12:04 AM   #113
Major Player

Well, the wonder and woe did not stop in the editing process. I decided to edit at home with Cineform/PPro2 vs edit at work on my new dream machine with FCS2. Something about stopping to eat between 8 hours of editing at work and 6 hours of editing for play.

Apparently it knows I've been cheating on it. I can't so much as look at PPro without it crashing. My roommate has had to put up with me randomly storming out of my room, miming punting a computer across the room, and storm back in to try again. 4 times tonight, trying to finish a piece all of 2:45 long! CMON! I've edited full-length broadcast television on this goshdarned piece of machinery.

End result - I've got the first few minutes on the timeline, with a LOT of correction work to do. For me to put it on television I'd probably want to manually stabilize most of the shots in AE, but it's looking like I'll be happy to get the right clips in the right order. I'm almost to the point that the metric editing is farfetched - "No, I don't like it when you click me there" is my NLE's motto at the moment. Bah.
Old February 16th, 2008, 04:48 AM   #114
Inner Circle

Finally some good weather (as in no rain), so I shot my entry yesterday.
Had good help of my sister, and we went kinda crazy. In about 2 hours I got around 20 minutes film, and she... well she got 200 photos!!
Yes, we had very much fun. Nope, it does not include any birds. Didn't even see one during our adventure out in the woods.
Now it's off to editing. And this can almost be an adventure itself.

Steven,
Anyone you could borrow a camera from, so you could capture your footage? Really bad to get such an accident when you finally got something on tape.
Hope you manage to make a film in the end. We need your entries!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 06:42 AM   #115
Major Player

Steven, I'm waaay up here in the northeast corner of FL, but if you show up with a hard drive and a tape I can take care of it for you? I'm moving (and editing my entry) tomorrow and monday, or I would offer to meet you half way!

C
Old February 16th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #116
Regular Crew

not many brits posting here, hope we are still all on track!

well I've done my filming in between having to cope with a family holiday
( aaaarrrghhhh!!! - sorry needed to get that off my chest, family holidays with the wrinklies, I love 'em but good grief! ), didnt get the rough weather I wanted, weather here in the UK this week has been glorious for Feb or thick fog, still I'll work with what I've got and hope for the best. It was just great being behind the camera again, havent done it for a while.

So it's down to the editing, I'm glad I did a script, it's kept me pretty much on target for the shots otherwise I could have been badly distracted.

All the best to all

David
David Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 09:46 AM   #117
Major Player

Duck Question

OK, bird experts. I shoot video of the duck shown in the image at the link below. There was a pair of them. Is it some kind of mallard?

At first I thought it was a molting mallard, but it larger than the other mallards and there are two of them.

The location was Spring, TX, on the north edge of Houston.

Since it the star of my challenge video, I'd sure like to know what it is.

http://www.wilcoxvideoproductions.co...me_unknown.jpg
Old February 16th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #118
Trustee

Hi Victor:

Nice to hear there is another duck movie out there brewing! I was unable to connect to your web site or your picture for some reason so I haven't seen the duck yet, but if it looks like a Mallard but is bigger than a Mallard it could be a Rouen. They have similar coloring to Mallards but are much heavier birds. It's a wild stab, because Rouens are domestic birds raised for meat.

Hope I can connect successfully and see your picture!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 10:44 AM   #119
Major Player

OK...wish me luck....It's almost 25º and the sun is shinin'

I've got some 5 year old aerial photos, vague discriptions and very rough directions to what I'm looking for....
I have a compass, cell phone, warm clothes, a lighter and plenty of batteries....(Oh...and my camera)

If ya don't hear from me in a couple of days, call my wife and tell her I love her.... :)
Old February 16th, 2008, 11:12 AM   #120
Trustee

OK, I'm finished shooting my uwol adventure and can't wait to get home and start editing. I only have my laptop pc with me to the mountains and it is no good editing on. Here's a picture of the stars in my uwol film, from the right:
Elisabeth, Iselin and Stian. ready to go down hill on snowboard.

Geir Inge
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #7-elisabeth_and_friends.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge