DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   Slightly OT - For Norweigan UWOLers (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/115187-slightly-ot-norweigan-uwolers.html)

Rob Evans February 19th, 2008 05:26 AM

Slightly OT - For Norweigan UWOLers

Hi,
I'm off snowkiting to haugastol and the Hardangervidda plateau in April
(yes, it may well be UWOL time ;-) and plan to do some filming while I'm there. I just wondered if any of you guys have ever shot in that area, and what I can expect, and maybe hope to shoot on the nature side too? Plus any handy tips would be good - equipment/technique wise - I have rarely shot in such cold temperatures.....

Cheers,

Rob

Per Johan Naesje February 19th, 2008 05:38 AM

Wow Rob,
that's interesting, maybe we can meet! I'm not so well-known in the Hardangervidda area, but I know that Trond is, I think his family has a cabin in that area.
Do you know more specific which date you will be in the area?

Could have been nice to get a uwol-meeting there, what do you think Rob and Trond (and others who might be able to be there)?

Trond Saetre February 19th, 2008 05:39 AM

That's only about 50km/30 miles from where my family has a cabin and where I spend much time all year. (Our cabin is on the west side of Hardangervidda, while Haugastøl is on the east side.)
Haugastøl area is really popular for snowkiting, so I believe you will have a great experience. I have seen many people doing that just a few km west of Haugastøl, but also all over the Hardangervidda.

Be prepaired for rapid changes of the weather. On the Hardangervidda, it can change from blue sky/sunshine to cloudy/even fog in a very short time.
You can expect temperatures down to around -15C, but on a good day even around +5C or more.

Maybe we could meet. That would be cool.
(Seems like Per Johan and I was writing to you at the same time)

Trond

Rob Evans February 19th, 2008 06:01 AM

Guys! Thanks so much for such a warm response and information.
Sure I'd be up for a meetup - I'll be there I think between the 10-18th April, but maybe I'll have more ideas closer to the time - it's a big trip, we fly to germany, then travel on road up through Denmark and then by Ferry to Norway - should be time for some excellent shoots ;-)
I did a film of a trip in 2006 - http://www.treborsnave.com/video/snowkite01.wmv that was in germany.

and there a guy who makes excellent snowkite films - http://www.snowkitefilm.no/cat.asp?id=5 - check out some of his stuff, its truly stunning!

Yeah, would be good to have a get together!

Cheers!

Rob

And I should add, if you guys fancy trying snowkiting, we'll have plenty of kites, and I'm an instructor ;-)

Trond Saetre February 19th, 2008 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Evans (Post 828841)
And I should add, if you guys fancy trying snowkiting, we'll have plenty of kites, and I'm an instructor ;-)

Rob, that would be awesome. I took a 2 day class a few years ago, but the wind was strong, around 20-25mph, so it wasn't ideal conditions for someone who had never tried it before. Once, my sister basically took off up in the air and the instructor had to grab her legs to keep her down. But it was very fun. Haven't had a chance to try snowkiting again after that.

I'll check my work schedule for April, and hopefully I will have at least some days off when you are here.
I'm definitely up for an UWOL meeting while you are in Norway.
In April the weather is mostly good enough for the road over Hardangervidda to be open most of the time.

Vidar Vedaa February 19th, 2008 09:24 AM

Hi Rob

Ther is some Norwegian how kiting at Dyranut an halv hour driving west
from Haugastøl.Inn the wally Bjoreidalen below Dyranut you can!!! see
Wild-Reindeer,if the wind have been north-west some day.At this time
last year wee meet to heard reindeer 500-600 deer in eathce. But
Hardangervidda is big and reindeer rund fast,but some luck you will
see them.But ther is mointan-grouss,different falcond and eagol.
good luck Rob.

VJV

Per Johan Naesje February 19th, 2008 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Evans (Post 828841)

Ho, ho, ho, can you imagine a 50 year old hanging, dangling from a kite through the Hardangervidda :-)
Meryem, the Theme Adventure should be reused for next round!!!

I'm in! In fact I will be in Sweden 11-14 of April, but if you stay in the mountain at Hardangervidde to 18. of april I will curtainly want to meet you Rob (and you other guys too!)

Rob Evans February 19th, 2008 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Per Johan Naesje (Post 828942)
Ho, ho, ho, can you imagine a 50 year old hanging, dangling from a kite through the Hardangervidda :-)

I have kitebuggied with a 57 year old guy who has ONE ARM, so don't let that stop you - it's actually very very easy, after about 30 minutes kite instruction you can get going - and I guess most of you norweigan guys were born on skis huh? ;-)

Trond Saetre February 19th, 2008 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidar Vedaa (Post 828919)
Ther is some Norwegian how kiting at Dyranut an halv hour driving west from Haugastøl.Inn the wally Bjoreidalen below Dyranut you can!!! see
Wild-Reindeer,if the wind have been north-west some day.At this time
last year wee meet to heard reindeer 500-600 deer in eathce. But
Hardangervidda is big and reindeer rund fast,but some luck you will
see them.But ther is mointan-grouss,different falcond and eagol.
good luck Rob.

VJV

This is part of the area where I do most of my skiing and hiking.
I have seen many tracks of the rain deers, but never seen the animals myself.
But I have seen one lonely wolf 2 years ago. And in this area there is at least 2 king eagles /golden eagles. Have seen them many times, but never got any good shots of them yet. I believe Per Johan with his longer lenses would have a much better chance to film them.

Oh, and yes of course we Norwegian vikings were born with the skis on our feet. HAHA

Vidar Vedaa February 19th, 2008 12:22 PM

hi Trond

If you sud meet rein, the l winterpart in Bjoreidalen to Tinnhølen is a good
place.A good binocular is a must to find them.In the end of april the
calv-season start, and you sud not come neer them.But a nice hide in
Bjoreidalen is one of the best place for birding in the whole vidda.
It`s birding reservat,so you Trond have a great wildlife-place in your
backyard.I have run in the West-vidda since I was 16 yeare,and allot to
discover.

VJV

Trond Saetre February 19th, 2008 01:50 PM

Very true, Vidar. I often see birds up there.
And the hide would be our cabin, haha. Have had 2 golden eagles flying maybe as close as 10 meters above the cabin a few years ago.

Lots of people are hunting these birds:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagopus (Willow Grouse)
We can see big flocks of those.

Geir Inge February 19th, 2008 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trond Saetre (Post 829003)
... Oh, and yes of course we Norwegian vikings were born with the skis on our feet. HAHA

Well it is a little bit odd since I have used this old saying in the beginning of my uwol film :)
Geir Inge

Trond Saetre February 19th, 2008 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geir Inge (Post 829077)
I have used this old saying in the beginning of my uwol film :)
Geir Inge

That just proves the fact, Geir Inge! :)
And you should think about heading south in the middle of April if you get a chance. Destination: Hardangervidden.

Dale Guthormsen February 20th, 2008 03:58 PM

Good afternoon,

I am not Norweigan, But I still have relatives over there.

Bring your ski stuff here, no mountains, mostly flat but we have plenty of cold and snow.

Raindeer are way north of me, but I have a herd of 200 to 400 white tailed deer near by and several smaller Herds of mule deer.

the other day I was filming a gyrfalcon in the sky, the ice crystals up there actually prevented me from getting a clear picture of any kind. Had a 360 degree sundog that Morning, pretty dramatic in itself.

Trond Saetre February 20th, 2008 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen (Post 829815)
the other day I was filming a gyrfalcon in the sky, the ice crystals up there actually prevented me from getting a clear picture of any kind. Had a 360 degree sundog that Morning, pretty dramatic in itself.

I bet you had a great experience, Dale.
Would be cool to see your film of the falcon.