UWOL #7 - "Vision Quest" by Bruce Foreman - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 28th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #16
Trustee

Hey Bruce.

I love native American stories, culture and there outlook on the world...theres certainly much so called 'modern' man could learn from them.

A nice story and nicely portrayed and certainly very much one topic. I also think some of the shots were a little long and cutaways might have helped to weave the tale and pull us into the story more strongly. I would also have liked some facial closeups to add more emotion to the piece, but I know its difficult when someones not an actor to start sticking a camera in there face. I liked the way you used a simple effect for the 'vision'. it worked well and did what it was meant too.

Strong piece, interesting premise nicely told. Well done!
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 06:51 PM   #17
Trustee

Hey Bruce,

I really enjoyed your video, having spent time in the SW I felt sure the man hiking with the cactus (?) stick was seeking a vision to help him in some way, your narrative confirmed that, I really enjoyed it. The dry desert ecosystem was an enhancement that helped set the stage for your "adventure". Good job.
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #18
Major Player

Bruce I can't help you technically, because I can't help myself either.. I liked your idea, and film. Sometimes wish it was closer, but maybe that just means my interest was peaked. Imagine a nice close-up of his eyes squinting as he struggles to clearly see his vision. Oh lord, did I just make a suggestion? I'll shut back up now. Good job brother
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 01:37 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Thompson View Post
Hey Bruce.

A nice story and nicely portrayed and certainly very much one topic. I also think some of the shots were a little long and cutaways might have helped to weave the tale and pull us into the story more strongly. I would also have liked some facial closeups to add more emotion to the piece, but I know its difficult when someones not an actor to start sticking a camera in there face. I liked the way you used a simple effect for the 'vision'. it worked well and did what it was meant too.

Strong piece, interesting premise nicely told. Well done!
Thanks for the comments, Mat. Very good points and I need to "burn" the necessity of shooting plenty for cutaways and closeups into my planning on future efforts.

Rick is enough of a ham that sticking a camera in his face is no problem. One of our main dificulties was footing. That hill does not look like much, and to folks in their 20's to 40's in fair shape should be no problem, but the inclines were covered in loose stones over dry shifting soil. Rick took two falls (one of them on camera), neither serious but definite reminders. Camera positions were limited without taking more risk, I'm coming up on 70 and don't climb well. Just the same I should have done more closeup and tight shots.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 01:27 PM   #20
Major Player

You told this story very well Bruce. I thought the technique that you used for the vision was very effective. I concur with a lot of what has been said before. Well done.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:58 AM   #21
Regular Crew

I enjoyed you film very much. Well done. I'm a every interested in native american culture and that makes this film even more interesting to me. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Warren Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 03:24 AM   #22
Trustee

Hi Bruce,
As usual, you've managed to tell a great story. Others have mentioned the technical side of what could have been improved, but at the end of the day, i thought your story was the real star, & the way you told it through your friend & the special fx you used to see his POV. I thought it was great.

Bryce

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge