UWOL # 7 Long Way Home - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 28th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #16
Major Player

John, don't know how you did it. Tried to get my girl to act for me in this challenge but I just couldn't get it done - and she's a human.

Nice job.
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 10:05 AM   #17
Major Player

I must say I do take my hat off to you working with actors - family or not - and working with animals as well is doubly difficult, but you managed to pull it off and came up with a very charming video. A good editing job John!

You captured some pretty convincing images of the puppy in its attempt to find its way home. I liked the little details you picked up on too - like the veld grass and wild flowers and butterfly. Your intro and ending were very effective. Nice, clear images throughout. A very enjoyable video.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I am a bit shy to say anything since I didn't even make a video for the challenge, but I really want to give some extra advise, I like it aswell but you heared most of the good things allready.
but there are some technical improvements, you could do easily, which would boost your proffesionalisme greatly, the jumpcuts at the start, if you don't have any other inserts or maybe some close ups you should make them disolve or fade into one an other, so they don't "jump" to the next cut.

There is a part where you cut the dog-shot a bit too late and you see the cam going up (at least I feel like that).

Maybe a hard thing to do here with a dog, but when you film something running towards something (going home in this case) you should always make it go one way: from left to right preferably (in the western world), though right to left might work. Reason for this is that you sometimes get the feeling that the dog is just playing around on the field.

I know, they are some small points, and I really have no right to speak at all, but still! hope I can help
Old March 1st, 2008, 01:20 AM   #19
Major Player

Thanks Bob, Eric , marj and Jurgen For the feed back. At this stage of my learning I respect and look forward to all feedback.I like the positive feed back when I get something right and learn from the pro's when I get something wrong.I feel with this silly little video I am getting closer to getting it right.I say that because of all the positive feed back, and the time and effort people like David and Jurgen have taken to give advice or just say "try This "..Jurgen you have very valid points.The advise on filming right to left or left to right makes sense.I never filmed enough video to do the action from one direction.Even if I did I probably would have forgotten to do that. Thanks for the advice.
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Good film John. I enjoyed it a lot. You pulled off a good one when you had the lost puppy trying to find its way home but still having things catch its attention and having to stop and smell a flower and to check out a butterfly. Very cool film. Thanks for making it.
Warren Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 03:25 AM   #21
Trustee

John,
Great film. I liked your idea of the dogs adventure to find it's way home. Your POV shots were great, but i would have liked to see them match the following shot of the dog. Some of these shots just didn't seem to match what i had in my head for what the dog was seeing. The music was great. & well done to your daughter (if that was you daughter) for her acting role.

Bryce

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge