UWOL #7 ”the Eagle has Landed” by Per Johan Naesje - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 25th, 2008, 11:10 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Per:

Sorry if this may repeat what others said in this thread, didn't have time to read it all. I liked the way you centered the story on the adventure of getting to hide, and then show the waiting for the right moment-- and then showed the results of all the hard work and the investment of time. Taught me a lesson that I need to learn.
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #17
Trustee

Hey Per

Well you know in my critiques of your work previously I've talked about your story telling and editing, well you stepped it up a gear and to great effect. Your images are all top notch but from you, what else! But to see you craft a nice, on topic adventure story about a true king of birds and nail it will footage that would look at home in a big BBC production...very well done fella!

I wouldn't have bothered with the eyes FX either, it just didn't need it but good on you for a bit of experimentation ! The only thing I would have liked extra was some flight shots to add some diversity to the piece or even a couple of wider angle shots on the prey. Was this baited by you and not a kill by the bird?

I am in awe of you spending time with this bird, I would love to see one myself....but for now seeing it through your eyes is good second :-)!

Top row fella!
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #18
Major Player

This is really some great footage. The way you shot your friend and cut it with the eagle gave a good sense of your own adventure in capturing the footage. Your film really teaches the patience necessary for wildlife video!

Maybe the special effects were a bit off with the eyes, as others have mentioned, but personally I like the fact you are experimenting. I think this contest is a good forum for pushing the envelope, to figure out what works or not, and it's good to try something new with each film.

Do you have any details on how you got such great footage with the fox? That seems like a really wonderful oppotunity to see an eagle feeding on its prey in the wild at such close range - an incredible glimpse into the life of this amazing bird.

Ruth
Old February 25th, 2008, 05:34 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidar Vedaa View Post
You have done it again.A powwer full film from ower nature.
Fantastic clip you make her.
Thanks Vidar, appreciate your nice words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
the golden is a beautiful adult Golden. I am impressed with how light he is. Most of our adult goldens get quite black in comparison.
Thanks Dale, interesting to hear about the color difference. In our country I think this is the common color of the Golden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Taught me a lesson that I need to learn.
Thanks Chris, yes wild species is not the easiest targets to get good footage of. Even in a special made hide, there are many days with no activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Thompson View Post
...on topic adventure story about a true king of birds and nail it will footage that would look at home in a big BBC production...very well done fella!
Thanks Mat, think we scaring the big boys with the really big equipment with this one. It's possible to get stunning and really good quality pictures with semi-pro equipment too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Thompson View Post
The only thing I would have liked extra was some flight shots to add some diversity to the piece or even a couple of wider angle shots on the prey. Was this baited by you and not a kill by the bird?
flight shots is not possible to get in hides like this. The view sector out of the small hides is too narrow to accomplish. I tried to get some wide angle shoots too, but the bird didn't listen to my prayers! In this particular setting they was baited with the Red Fox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Happel View Post
Do you have any details on how you got such great footage with the fox? That seems like a really wonderful oppotunity to see an eagle feeding on its prey in the wild at such close range - an incredible glimpse into the life of this amazing bird.
Ruth thanks for you kind words! My camcorder is a Canon XLH1 HDV. On this model you can interchangeable lenses. In fact you can use any model of ef-lenses with Canon or Nikon mount. The big advantage using those lenses is that you got a magnifying factor of 7.2 x. So a 300mm will be a huge 2160mm on the H1!
At this specific hide I couldn't use a 300mm because I got too high focal lenght, it was almost impossible to frame and focus the bird with only it's head in the viewfinder! Actual distance to the bird was approx. 15-16 meter at the nearest. Therefore I mainly used a 70-200mm which was suitable to get good close-up and some distance shoot, but not any wide angle shoots because of the large focal lenght this kind of lense gives on the H1. There is of course a high learning curve using this kind of lenses. You don't have any auto focus and you have to constantly maintain manual focus due to a very narrow DOF.
Old February 25th, 2008, 05:47 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Per:

You may have talked about it earlier, but what tripod are you using for your setups ? Looks pretty solid...
Old February 26th, 2008, 04:45 AM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
...but what tripod are you using for your setups ? Looks pretty solid...
Well, I'm using a huge Miller Arrow HD tripod system, 100mm bowl, rock steady even in wind conditions.

Here's a link to my current setup:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....4&postcount=18
Old February 26th, 2008, 05:17 AM   #22
Major Player

What can I really say? Per you are the master at this, the presentation, the flow, the consideration of each shot was excellent. With all these amazing films coming out of Norway, I really can't wait to visit ;-)
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 05:53 AM   #23
Trustee

Hi Per Johan.
Nicely done, this film.
A little bit different then your other films, as you are moving on to the use of an "actor". This braught back memories to me of some of Sverre M. Fjelstad's (pioneer amongst norwegian wildlife film makers) TV programs.
Your scenes of the Golden Eagle, I reccon is at Flatanger same place as the raven film, is great. I admire you for experimentation in the editing prosess, and if your on to try out new things/methods, you've come to the right place. No one here will "shoot" you for putting that eagle into your actors eyes. Just tell you to leave it out next time :) That's what friends are for, eh?

Thank you for sharing and have a nice touring at Dovre.

Geir Inge
Old February 26th, 2008, 06:53 AM   #24
Major Player

Hi Per,

As you know, my son and I were really looking forward to seeing this entry, and what a wonderful entry it is.

I sort of feel for you a bit at times as we all consider you the master of filming nature and have such high expectations. How you manage to pull such wonderful footage out the hat each time is a reflection of your talents and also the effort you put into UWOL. This was clearly evident in this film (and all your other UWOL entries).

I also disliked the special effects with the eyes, but enough has been said of that. I think the main thing is that you actually captured such wonderful footage of such a wild and timid bird of prey. Three days to get 40 minutes! This just reinforced what goes into getting these shots.

Setting the scene and story through your friend worked very well although I would have liked to have seen more footage of the Golden Eagle - just because I could watch birds of prey for hours on end.

Well done Per, my son and I thought it was a wonderful piece.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 04:30 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Hi Per,

A beautiful film and kudos to you for your patience in getting those lovely eagle shots. The narrative was good and I liked the jib shot you put in there. I do agree with other comments about the special FX with the eyes, a little out of place, but otherwise great footage and a splendid film.

Mihali
Mihali Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 02:01 AM   #26
Major Player

I would only be repeating what everyone else has to say...Your work and work ethic is still among the top 3 here.I always want the action to start within a few minutes of filming....you however can spend days in a Hide just to capture that one shot...Big respect here
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 12:31 AM   #27
Trustee

Rob: thanks, hope to see you in April at Hardangervidda!

Geir Inge: the thought about Sverre M Fjeldstad touch lightly our minds when we was shooting this, albeit he was using some older equipment though!

David, Mihali and John: thanks so much for your kind words!
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #28
Major Player

Per

Once again you have outdone yourself - what a truly stunning movie - both technically and aesthetically. This is your best contribution so far.

No wonder you love Norway and that weather! I have been looking forward to these adventures filmed in the snow with great anticipation - all I can say is that was wonderful. The landscape scenes are fairy tale stuff. The Golden Eagle is magnificent. You have captured it flawlessly. What an exciting adventure you must have experienced to film it . . and eating a fox to boot!

Your friend did a good job of acting and your good close-ups of him at the hide almost reflects the tight squeeze I imagine you must have endured for hours on end up there. How on earth did you avoid freezing up there??!

Not so sure about a couple of things - besides the eagles in the eyes - I felt the music at the end was a bit loud and dramatic after hearing such beautiful, calm natural sounds. It made me feel like the adventure was about to begin, not end. Perhaps a bit lower in volume? I liked the choice of music.

I too was puzzled to see the picture of the eagle eating a fox on the wall of the sitting room - before it was filmed in your story. Same picture was on your book cover. I understand now that you were having some fun - okay - we’re allowed to do that - rule no? 11? Nice work Per.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #29
Trustee

Per, OK, you beat me again. This was one of your best! Great narration and the video really followed the story. The story was about the videographer and his adventure videoing the eagles. The shots of the eagles were magnificent. A true adventure and a great job. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 08:19 PM   #30
Major Player

Per, I knew I was in trouble the moment you put up that frame grab weeks ago. That's when I went after that Vulture. Just not pretty enough, so I bowed out. Nice story line. It's generous of you to take us along like you do. Takes extra thought, time, and planning. Nice work, beautiful footage, entertaining film.

Next time brother. Next time...
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge