UWOL # 7 "Path to the Past" by Bob Thieda - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 25th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #16
Major Player

I enjoyed the film, and it made me want to know more about the subject. As Cat suggests, maybe you could find some materials online to bring the site to life more for us. Hidden under snow, it seems the ideal opportunity to either use the visual onsite, which wasn't very visible in the film, or find some on the internet, so we know more about what we are seeing.

I had no problem with the huffing narration- gave it a sort of David Attenborough feel. In three minutes, though, I would have preferred more of the site and less of the journey/hike getting to and from the spot. Though as you note, it was quite an adventure in and of itself!

The music was great, and really enhanced the tone of your video.

Ruth
Old February 25th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #17
Trustee

Bob, congrats with your first entry! I think you did well on this. As a foreigner I had to play it a couple of times to get all the story you was telling!!
Second what have been said by the others. Some of the clips could have been better framed, but it's not easy to record yourself.

Good work, keep it up Bob!
Old February 26th, 2008, 07:57 AM   #18
Trustee

Its a tough game, shooting your own camera deliveries and too time consuming. I think you did a great job with that and your deliveries were really nice. Maybe it would be worth catching your breath a little longer before you give them though. I thought your story was nicely paced and moved along well. I think you could have done with looking at more detail around you as it got a bit one dimensional in places. It would have also been nice to have a bit more visual meat on the story but you can't really do much more about that although maybe even a pencil sketch and a map view would have added more visual information and built on your story.

Nice first entry fella.....more to come I hope!
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 07:12 PM   #19
Trustee

Bob, very well done. From the beginning you told me where I was and what I was looking for. You told a story about an adventure. Your narration followed the story line. A great job, welcome to UWOL. Awaiting more of your work. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 06:47 AM   #20
Trustee

Hi Bob T.
Ancient history comes alive through your camera.
I think you've made a great entry with this one.
Great narrations and suitable piano music in the background.
Well, we can't do much about the snow covering tracks. Still I think you made a great story and I had no problems following you through this adventure of yours.

Wish you good luck and hope to see more of your films here at uwol.
Geir Inge
Old February 28th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #21
Major Player

Bob, nice adventure for you. Amazing what you can find when you take the time to look. Thanks for sharing the journey
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 09:59 AM   #22
Major Player

I must say you are a natural in front of the camera Bob. I enjoyed your narration very much. You kept me interested all the way although the end was a bit of an anti-climax due to the snow covering the area.

I think that it would have been more informative if you could have allowed us to see the info provided at the site, or at least explained a bit more about the mounds. A good, solid video.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 01:02 PM   #23
Trustee

A few years ago the National Geographic had an extensive article on the mounds and the mound builders culture artifacts imply.

Evidence points to a thriving enterprising trade culture covering much of the eastern and central US a few hundred years before Europeans "discovered" this continent.

The burial mounds you found are some of the last evidence of that left by those cultures.

You had a good documentary approach, and hiking that shortcut had to be somewhat of an adventure. I've seen other documentaries in the past where the narrator was a bit out of breath after a climb up a rise or hill, so that did not seem unnatural to me. It may have even added something more than just standing and narrating.

I like it, and find this sort of thing interesting and fascinating.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 05:21 AM   #24
Trustee

Nice one Bob!
Really informative too. I liked the way you went out without really knowing where you were going, or what to expect when you got there. Well done with setting the camera up & doing the stand up work. Something i find very difficult. Your recovery in the beginning where you forgot what you were going to say was good too. Looks like a really beautiful place.

Bryce

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge