UWOL #7 Farm Yard Safari by Gordon Hoffman at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 25th, 2008, 09:09 PM   #1
Major Player

UWOL #7 Farm Yard Safari by Gordon Hoffman

Well I know I'm going to take a beating on this one. Things got a little hectic here this month. I found myself dozing off when capturing footage in the evenings and my mind just when to mush when I tried to write narration. So I just slapped some music to it and left it at that. The neat part is I never got out of the yard while shooting this. Anyway beat away.
Thanks for watching.

Gordon Hoffman
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 09:36 PM   #2
Major Player

Hey Gordon,

Gee, I'm always impressed by the area in which you live - wildlife everywhere!

I was so interested in watching your entry - simply cecause of the diversity of wildlife and the things that were going on at the time. That falcon stooping on the partridge (I guess) in amongst the geese was just amazing.

At times, I was hoping you would zoom out and set the scene - before going into the close ups - just to get a feel for what was happening.

The geese flying in at the start was lovely to watch and maybe some slow mo like Kevin Railsback does, would have worked well here. Regardless, the scene set the rest of the entry up very nicely.

This entry certainly captured my interest a lot. Well done Gordon.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:03 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Gordon,

It's nice to see we can go on an adventure right there in our back yard.
I enjoyed watching your film.

I agree with David's comments about the opening sequence is great, and maybe using more wide shots to see more of the area.

The music was a good choice for your film.
Well done!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 01:30 AM   #4
Major Player

I liked this one… nice job Gordon. As Trond and David has mentioned before, some wide shots over the area would have been nice. You got a lot for wildlife there… was that a wolf? No, the head was too small or? Fox?
Nice done…

Markus
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 02:06 AM   #5
Regular Crew

That has to be a coyote, which is odd as geese are usually afraid of them. I liked the film and including the sound of geese while they were flying away ended it on a very nice note.

Looking forward to seeing your next entry
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 05:23 AM   #6
Trustee

Hi Gordon.
I think your film is as brought out of Disney.
Very nice indeed.
Very good choice of music, and it fit those beautiful pictures of yours to the perfect.
The different birds, the coyote and the little deers do show us that we dont always have to travel far to get an adventure. Sometimes it's enough to just look outside in your own backyard.
In this film, no narration needed, your picture tells it all and you have a way of putting the scenes together (good editing).
I have only one minus. Both your opening and your ending scenes are very beautiful, but I somehow got distracted by the lyrics/text. Next time leave this in front and after, not directly on the film. These are wonderful shots that diserve to be shown in ful :)

I haven't seen all the films yet, as I start watching'em today, but this one is great. I will keep this film in my heart for a long time.

Thank you for sharing.

Geir Inge
Old February 26th, 2008, 09:15 AM   #7
Major Player

hey Gordon
Very watchable video...I liked the opening scene with the Geese flying into the farm yard...good editing
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 09:33 AM   #8
Major Player

I like it...very pleasent to watch.

I must say I was laughing when that one bird keep buzzing the geese...the way they all ducked in unison was very amusing to me.

Bob
Old February 26th, 2008, 10:30 AM   #9
Major Player

Yeah! The scene of the hawk strafing the geese was stunning. I love the different species you have captured - so different to what I'm surrounded by here in the UK. In fact I was thinking that was one of the major upsides of UWOL - because it's a global challenge, each and every film plunges you into completely different seasons and environments. Good stuff man!
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 01:22 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Gordon,

Very nice farmyard footage!! I particularly loved the Mule deer and the Partridge in the same footage!!!

I very much enjoyed you piece!! great Job.

The falcon straffing the geese is assuredly a gyrfalcon!!! most likly a female. Female gyrs actually do take geese in the winter so it is not surp[rising to see them chase geese. How totally fortunate to be there when it happened!!!!!
Old February 26th, 2008, 01:36 PM   #11
Wrangler

for a backyard entry, you sure put up a winner...it's not that easy to shoot great landscape and wildlife in a 4:3 frame.

i think one of the things that we're seeing with the regular players is that even their less well-conceived "average" entries still look darn good! and still have some "a-ha" moments--you have some really nicely framed shots...i like the way you have the titles in the snow at the end with only deer butts running over the horizon line.

always a pleasure to get a glimpse of canada, gordon!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 03:00 PM   #12
Trustee

Hey Gordon;

You have SOME back yard. Nice filming. The opening shot of the geese flying in and the ending, with the low angle camera work on the deer were were the best. Your talent rises up even in your self-acclaimed average entry! Good job!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 04:16 PM   #13
Trustee

Gordon, awesome film from your own backyard!
I think it was kind of romantic, maybe because of the soft music you applied! Second what others already told you.
The falcon and coyote sequence was nice to watch, can not believe that the geese was just sitting there next to it!
Overall a very nice piece, good work!
Old February 26th, 2008, 06:48 PM   #14
Trustee

Gordon, such beautiful videography. The shots of the geese were beautiful. Music really enhanced the video. I also really liked the footage of the bird "dive bombing" the flock. Great job. Question, just what side of paradise do you live on? Bob

Last edited by Bob Safay; February 27th, 2008 at 06:24 PM.
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #15
Major Player

My wife and I love some of the critters you captured. Especially the coyote (?). Nice job out there!
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge