DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   Sorenson Squeeze Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/116308-sorenson-squeeze-question.html)

Catherine Russell March 4th, 2008 02:27 PM

Sorenson Squeeze Question

Hi everyone:

On pins and needles awaiting the judging of this round of great films? Well, to bide your time during these suspenseful moments I have a Sorenson Squeeze question and wonder if any of you have run into this.

Shortly after UWOL 7, I purchased my first and only HD camera. Looking ahead to UWOL 8, I've attempted to go through the motions of shooting, downloading onto the Mac, processing and finally squeezing a full definition 1920 x 1080 clip to the UWOL challenge specs. I've been successful in coming up with a squeezed HD clip but only as a full download. If I do all the same settings, but specify the output to streaming video, Sorenson processes the clip, completes successfully but upon playback it says that it is unable to open/play because it's an invalid file.

Just curious if you've seen this before. I have Sorenson Squeeze v 4.5. Browsing the knowledge base on the Sorenson web site hasn't revealed much about this.

Thanks for your insights. O.K., you can go back to the suspenseful waiting now!

Cat

Kevin Railsback March 4th, 2008 03:57 PM

What are you using for an editor Cat?

Catherine Russell March 5th, 2008 10:02 AM

Hi Kevin:

Thanks for the look. I mostly work in Adobe After Effects, but also in FCP. I know you work in FCP and Compressor. I have discovered that I have more options to tweak in Sorenson Squeeze than in Compressor, but perhaps I am wrong on this? I've only looked at and worked with Compressor a few times.

All the best,

Cat

Per Johan Naesje March 5th, 2008 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine Russell (Post 837327)
If I do all the same settings, but specify the output to streaming video, Sorenson processes the clip, completes successfully but upon playback it says that it is unable to open/play because it's an invalid file.

Cat, this is quite common. I got the same thing on my PC. You have to name in the preference of the QT-file, which software you want to open it in! I'm not sure how to do it on a Mac, but in the PC-world you open the windows explorer, find the file, right-click, then open in..., and in that window you define which software to open it with.
Anyway, you can always find the squeezed file, from outside Sorenson, and then open it in the software specified for that QT-file

Hope you understand what I mean? I'm sitting up in the mountain at the musk-ox right now, so I don't have my edit computer in front of me!

Catherine Russell March 6th, 2008 11:18 AM

Wow Per!

Thanks for the feedback, even out in the field with Musk Ox stalking around! Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it. Strange thing about the Mac though... you can't find the squeezed file anywhere on the disk! Even with searches it doesn't see it. So it doesn't let you get at it to do anything with it.

Keep the ideas coming, and I'll keep trying new things.

Thanks,

Cat

Trond Saetre March 11th, 2008 03:47 AM

Catherine,
I'm using both After Effects 7 and Squeeze 4.5 like you do. But I'm only on pc, not mac.
Maybe I can help?
(Sent you an email)