DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL#8 "Havratunet" by Vidar Vedaa. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/119931-uwol-8-havratunet-vidar-vedaa.html)

Vidar Vedaa April 21st, 2008 04:22 PM

UWOL#8 "Havratunet" by Vidar Vedaa.

This is my entery Havratunet, a transformition from winter to spring.
It`s a great time of the year to see the red-deer meat the spring.
My favorite film object.Hope you endjoy it.

Best Regards
VJV.

Weblink HD http://web.mac.com/vidarjohannesveda...avratunet.html

Trond Saetre April 23rd, 2008 04:09 AM

Nice video, Vidar!

I enjoyed watching those deers.
You made a nice story.

Thank you for sharing!

Jim Montgomery April 23rd, 2008 06:43 AM

Another wounderful depiction of great country. I don't think the VO added to the film but it did not distract either. I suspect your VO talent had a little more power in his voice that you could have exploited. Maybe some EQ bump in the lower end.

Being an avid hunter I was amazed at the initmacy we were able to achieve with the animals. The shot of the hawk flying through was amazing.

Well done.

Jim

Bryce Comer April 23rd, 2008 06:54 AM

Hi Vidar,
Wow what a beautiful place, & you capured it very well. I would have to say this is by far your best entry yet. You have done very well to capture all that wildlife, & only one of the shots i noticed had a tiny shake in it! The opening shots were also very beautiful, & your first pan was very well executed. I thought your V/O was good, & loved the relaxed tones in your voice.
Well done.

Bryce

Rob Evans April 23rd, 2008 06:56 AM

Hi Vidar, yes this was a really nice film, I particularly loved some of the shots of the farm in the late sunshine and the use of slow pans throughout - it had a nice pace to it and a nostalgic feel about the way things were. The deer shots were also of very high quality - a nice way to explore the wild and not so wild aspects of this environment. Well done!

Greg Boston April 23rd, 2008 07:26 AM

Beautiful stuff Vidar! Many of those shots could become postcards.

-gb-

Dale Guthormsen April 23rd, 2008 11:23 AM

Vidar,

You have some beautiful images in your film!! I really enjoyed watching it.

I loved the background music, totally suited the story!!

My favorite shots are the deer in the trees.

Second favorite is the closing shot of the scenery with the deer in the background!!

The camera work is outstanding!!

Meryem Ersoz April 23rd, 2008 07:17 PM

Vidar, I agree that this is your best film yet. That is a very picturesque village, and your tilt shots really show the beauty of the town, exposing it to us slowly. It is always very enjoyable to me to see how the players integrate the feedback into their entries, and you have added a lot of motion to your shooting in this round, to good effect.

I think whenever you get a bit of wildlife that maybe you haven't shot before, like the golden eagle shot, it is tempting to add it, but it is a weak shot, because it is too far away to recognize, and that distance from your subject stands out among your other very good close-ups. I would cut that one, it takes me out of the deer herd.

Vidar Vedaa April 24th, 2008 12:28 AM

Hi All

I must tanke you all fore greait coments.It have been a nice
round and allot of inspirasion.

VJV,

Ruth Happel April 24th, 2008 11:37 AM

I really liked the flow of this film, moving seamlessly between the village and nature. The music also really enhanced the feel of this. I have a question for you. When the deer ran downhill after you spoke of the lamb, how did you get that amazing motion blur? I really liked that effect a lot. Thanks for sharing your part of the world.

Ruth

Vidar Vedaa April 24th, 2008 11:45 AM

Motion-blur

Hello Ruth.

I was only using slow shutter 1/12 or 1/24. My problem when filming deer
is allvays low-light,this cut were at 2100 evning.But I allso like the motion
blur and used them.But you have allot more facinating stuff.

VJV:

Mike Beckett April 26th, 2008 01:15 PM

Vidar,

Another Bergen Boy! You lucky people, living somewhere surrounded by such incredible beauty.

My reaction to your opening shot was simply "My God". The colors and the framing there are just perfect, and it's a lovely pan.

There's some lovely detail shots around the farm - I like the seamless join of the two shots at 01:12. The deer looking directly at you through the trees at 1:40 is just a prize shot.

There was some unusual flickering around the transitions, but that is probably just the compression. That doesn't detract from a fantastic film though - just beautiful in every shot.

Bruce Foreman April 27th, 2008 10:49 PM

The way you intercut between spectacular scenics and strong shots of wildlife added a lot of interest and flow.

Whether by design or accident, the motion blur of the deer running downhill added a boost to the pace of the film for a second or two and I liked that effect.

Very well done in my opinion.

Vidar Vedaa April 28th, 2008 08:36 AM

Hello Mike and Bruce

I must tanks you fore nice comentc,and a great round
lock forword to necst round.

VJV.

Catherine Russell April 28th, 2008 10:47 AM

Vidar:

This is by far your best entry yet! The elk footage was stunning, your narration has improved and it was not only lovely to watch but an engaging story.

You live in such a beautiful land!

Well done,

Cat