Shark tank for UWOL 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old April 21st, 2008, 04:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Shark tank for UWOL 8

We spent a successful day filming in a beautiful wooded valley which, 150 years ago, was a major gunpowder works producing high quality powder for the local mining industry. The idea was to show the slow transformation from a hive of industrial activity to the wildlife haven that the valley has become. We were especially keen to show just how long it takes for an environment to recover after alteration by man. There was certainly enough potential there for a decent film but alas the tape heads on Nicks XL1 were totally shot. All the footage was useless with frames dropped all over the place and the sound cutting out for about a second every two or three seconds. An all round disaster which sees us plunge without style into the shark tank on only our second UWOL. We’re obviously both gutted but will back stronger next time; I’m already counting the days!

Can’t wait to see all the films from those who were more successful than us, it sounds like there are going to be some great entries!
Peter Damerell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 06:58 PM   #2
Trustee

Noooo!

that was a great idea, I thought of something similar with a derelict property being reclaimed by the bush but decided to go with the Bitou.

See you next time
Old April 21st, 2008, 10:08 PM   #3
Major Player

I surrender

In 05 I entered a race I never should have. I was sick, the bike was half broken, and we were seconds (years) off the pace. I soldiered on though, like a true champion (moron), and rode through all our problems. That is of course until the transmission locked up and put me over the handlebars and into an armco barrier at nearly 100 mph.

Lesson learned? Live by your motto, "Never surrender" most of the time...

I chased three ideas for this challenge - each of them better than the last. And this time there was plenty of story to tell, and to capture. Only problem was, well, this month. Not a good one for me and work. In my business when you're busy as hell and things are not very good, that basically means you lost your shirt on a job you didn't price well enough. And when you do this, you work twice as hard, twice as fast, just desperate to get done and get the hell out of there. This left just about NO time for anything else, but to dream. And believe me, I had a few good ones going.

My last chance was this past weekend. Spent all day Sunday planning, shooting, driving, etc. Came home with 50%. Went out today again, after work, and got just about THE most beautiful footage I have ever "Captured" with this rig. Had plans to power through the rest of the day and night to finish my entry before lock down. Then I checked the footage...

Do I need to explain why I quoted the word "Captured"?

Nothing there. Not even a peep. External hard drive too, and yes I did check it throughout the shooting. Said it was recording.

Since I can't do it visually; just imagine man's encroachment on our environment in the form of a distant factory built on the far edge of a bay - blurry, and slightly dancing in the sun's heat rising off the foreground's marshland. It's low tide, muddy, and the frame is absent of basically any color at all. Any, that is, except for the close-up shot of the bright orange flopping throats of six white pelicans fishing in the foreground. You can imagine the story, like a deep sea fisherman can imagine the monster - who got away.

My heart would be broken if not for one thing - the fact that I have definitely learned since my first entry. I can feel it. Just one challenge so far has completely re-shaped my approach to all this.

So I'm not bummed at all. Plus those freeking cabinets are finally done by now so just about nothing could get me down today.

Good luck to you all. I look forward to watching all your videos.
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 06:50 AM   #4
Major Player

Knew I would end up in the tank at some stage...

Didn't make it this time but certainly looking forward to watching all the entries.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:22 AM   #5
Wrangler

ker-splash!

too many side projects going on to be able finish this one...

some good floaties in here with me...cocktails, anyone?
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:28 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post

B...b...b...b. ...ut! The footage from your RED ONE!!! I was really looking forward to this!!!

;-)
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:32 AM   #7
Wrangler

that was one of my side projects! the problem was that i was too busy testing the camera and the workflow and fiddling with gear options and didn't have time to compose anything...there's nothing but a bunch of random footage with nothing holding it together, to show for it.

not happy about it, but now that's all behind me, and i'll get something in the next round.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:45 AM   #8
Major Player

I'm surrounded by work sharks and weather sharks. The footage is still in the camera, the storyline still in my head, and the new external hard drive still in its packaging. I'm envious of those guys that had time to spend on travel, shooting, editing, narrating, etc etc. But if I wasn't doing all this work, I wouldn't have had the cash to spend on the camera. Now I'm supposed to be saving for a new house!
Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:49 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
not happy about it, but now that's all behind me, and i'll get something in the next round.
well, best of luck for next time - and have fun fiddling in the meantime!!!
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:56 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
there's nothing but a bunch of random footage with nothing holding it together, to show for it.
That didn't stop me from getting an entry in....that's the exact description of my film...:)
Old April 26th, 2008, 01:29 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:

Cocktail....Oh yes. Sounds ideal. Mines a Mojito.

Camera has been to the people who know about taking electrical things apart and putting them back together better and they were suprised the thing was even turning on. Still we're up and running again and ready to get our teeth stuck into something new. Bring on the next challenge
Peter Damerell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 03:20 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Kersploooosh...
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:57 AM   #13
Wrangler

grant! enough with the shark bait already! we miss your films, man....
Old May 8th, 2008, 08:11 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Good Morning,

first, look forward to the next round with you all in there. there were some great ideas among you all!!!

A hard drive not recording?? did you sort that out???

Meryem, while I really looked forward to some red footage (I even went and looked this camera up), what a cool camera, I want one, I know I am not to covet other peoples toys, no matter how cool they are!!!

I do hope that you show us what it can do.

I also appreciate that mastering new equipment takes time, and sometimes you have to go with the old stuff until you have the new stuff straight!!!

Grant, We miss your entries!!!

See you all in three weeks.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge