UWOL#8 “Primavera” by Geir Inge Bjørneseth Brekke at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:38 AM   #1
Trustee

UWOL#8 “Primavera” by Geir Inge Bjørneseth Brekke

Some facts:
I made my first shot 2. April and the last shot was taken 19. April.
For this film I’ve been on 4 different locations. That is if I count my hiking as one location.
In fact my hiking scenes are made from out of 5 tours, all from the same area.
All is filmed with my new nr 2 camera, Canon HV30 except for the opening scenes by the sea, as they are made with my XLH1 camera.

My idea for the film:
I believe many of us, living in the arctic climate zone, welcome the spring (primavera) very much. In fact I think we need it to recover from the cold and dark winter.
This is the time for renewal and for me it’s the time when I start my hiking season.
It’s what I need to load (charge) my batteries so I can cope with my everyday life.
Not so easy as to capture what you see, is to capture what you feel. In fact, I think it’s darn difficult.
When I trespass the wild birds and animals own backyard, I’m always filled with respect and try to show some consideration. And they let me in, if not then just for a short visit.
Out there in the wild, when you are surrounded by silence, maybe just the sound from the cool breeze, a singing Dipper by a mountain creek or the sound from your own footsteps.
You will sense it, and you will know that this is a great gift to you from Mother Nature.
This is the time to slow down, take time to look around and listen, and I’m sure it will make your day a whole lot better.
Maybe transform us to be better human beings?
Never the less, it’s what I am trying to capture when I’m out there filming the wild, and some of it I have tried to put into my 3 min of “Primavera”.

Uwol version: http://www.uwolchallenge.com/challen..._primavera.mov

Larger versions
Primavera - QT
Primavera - WMV

I appreciate your feedback and comments.

Last edited by Geir Inge; April 22nd, 2008 at 12:14 PM.
Geir Inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 07:49 AM   #2
Trustee

Hey Geir

Well I have to say your shooting ability is going from strength to strength. This is for me the prettiest film you’ve produced to date. Some great shots,lighting, compositions and a really smooth flowing edit to boot. I like the level of your VO and the way you let much of the film breathe without any...very nice indeed. The premise while being simple was well used and well described with some great wildlife footage in there. I love Dippers, although a close up would have really made that sequence!! What’s there to critique, well not much fella. The quality of your shooting, editing and general film making is now producing very pro output indeed.
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 07:53 AM   #3
Major Player

Yeah, totally have to echo Matt's words. As a viewer, I was out there walking with you, breathing the clean mountain air and feeling exhilarated. Magic.
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 11:21 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Geir,

Very well done. A terrific short. you displayed the scenery terrificly. your voice over was just right. so far in the top of my list.

Great Job Geir!!!
Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:16 PM   #5
Major Player

Wow....it's like I was there with you....

Your shots of the ocean and mountains were breathtaking. I can not offer anything to improve on your work.

Nicely done and I'm glad I was lucky enough to see it.

Was the rabbit shot luck, or did you know he was there when you set up your camera?

Bob T.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:49 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Geir Inge, what can I say, except for...
Another master piece from you!

This video reminds me of all the great hiking trips I have done myself.
And you are right, it is the best way to "reload the batteries".
It is an awesome nature you have there.
I really liked some of the close up shots you had. Like the one of your shoe hitting the water, hearing the splash. Not often we have seen such camera angles in previous uwol films. Well done!
Oh yeah, and the rabbit shot at the end, priceless!!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:59 PM   #7
Major Player

What a stunning film. Not only are your shots stunning to me but also your editing. I still have alot to learn but the whole composition to me was incredibly fluid. I loved it. It must be nice to have that scenery in your backyard?

Oliver Pahlow
Oliver Pahlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 03:11 AM   #8
Major Player

mmmm… nice film Geir!
I liked how the story really followed through the whole film. In some of the shot, they didn’t feel balanced. Sometimes it was too much sky, but I know… it’s hard to film yourself.
I like the colours and the exposure.

Good job!
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 06:36 AM   #9
Major Player

I have always been in awe of country so big the "sky goes from horizon to horizon". Your use of perspective really told that story well (1:53). One day i will be young enough again to take on that hike.

Beautiful

Jim
Jim Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 07:02 AM   #10
Trustee

Hey Geir,
Wow what an entry from you this time round! That little HV30 sounds like a little ripper of a camera. You managed to get some amazing shots with it! I loved all the different angles you had in your shots, & i'm blown away with the quality of picture from that "handy cam". Great V/O as usual, music went perfectly with it too.
Seems like Meryem had the perfect idea to make it easier for the rest of us this round by making Per Johan judge, & therefore inelegable to compete, but it looks like the rest of the team from Norway have all stepped up, to well & truly fill that gap!
Well done on a beautiful piece,
Bryce
Old April 23rd, 2008, 09:33 AM   #11
Trustee

OK, I understand focusing the camera on a tripod and walking through the shot. But how did you get the rabbit to cooperate? Nice touch.

Wonderful video.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 11:34 AM   #12
Trustee

Geir is one of the reasons why I hesitated about joining UWOL several times - how do you compete with the quality of this man's productions? Just fantastic.

Such beautiful scenery, and music, and every shot seems to be perfect. The climb up the moutain, the footstep in the marsh, the shadow from the mountain top all just flow beautifully together. Those birds must be made of stern stuff to go dippig in that water though, it looks just slightly cold.

I bet the air up there is REALLY pure, I can almost sense it from here, it looks so invigorating. The hare was a great shot too, hopping around nearly at your feet. And the pan near the end and the sunset - what a way to finish.

I wish there was GeirTV to watch 24/7, I can't get enough!
Old April 23rd, 2008, 12:20 PM   #13
Trustee

Gier, this was a totally powerful recharge for me just to be able to accompany you on this quest. Stunning visuals, well composed, skillfully edited. But the moment that caused me to gasp was you standing there on top of you world, arms outstretched as if to encompass all of it, exhulting in the accomplishment.

Mike, I cannot really compete with something like this. But it is great to be in this group, participating, and being inspired by what we all see here.

Geir, thanks for sharing your journey with us.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 12:25 PM   #14
Major Player

Geir

In my humble opinion this is the best of your best so far. Being one of those that lives through (still doing it) long cold and dark winters I truly can appriciate the point you made i.e. the time of year to charge ones batteries.

Excellent piece well done.....it's in my picks to take home the gold.

Thanks for the battery charge, makes me want to go to my special place this weekend.

Brian
Brian McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 05:32 PM   #15
Wrangler

I've been a little overwhelmed this Challenge round with my day job and other things...so this is the first film that I watched. I like using the numbering system instead of names, because I have no idea whose film it is in advance.

And I have to say, after another long day of work, this re-charged my batteries all right. Geir, you made my day. What a beautiful film and it took me out of my too-busy mode for just a moment.

I don't know how you visualize shots with yourself walking through it, the way that you do. Your composition, using yourself in the frame, just gets better and better.

It's always a treat when the animals cooperate. That rabbit was a special moment.

Great film!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge